How much fuel do you keep in your tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With my diesel, especially in the summer, between 1/2 & 1/4. Better to keep diesel cooler due to asphaltene. The car, just above 1/4. With in tank fuel pumps, it is not good to go down too low. The pump can pull air with the low fuel level. Not good for pumps.

I won't run it under a quarter of a tank in the winter and in the summer I will run it until the low fuel light comes on. No issues. Did this in my Santa Fe and had 0 issues.

In my previous work Dodge Caravan I had driven on the low fuel light so long as I pulled up to the pump the engine quit because it was truly out of gas completely. My dad now owns this van and it still driving around just fine.

Last edited:
Fill the tank, run it to 1/4 tank of the low fuel light and fill it again. You spend le$$ money filling, than to keep "several galloning or dollaring yourself" each time you need gas.

I do as many others have said. Fill full when down to 1/4 tank. That is on the daily driver (Nissan). the classics I fill full in the fall for storage, then fill again every time I drive them out of town.

Fillup:
Daily-driving: 1/4 tank, then fill-up at the next convenient time (i.e., within the next day or so, depending on expected driving)
Trip: when the light comes on (if gas station locations are known - 1/4 tank if it's iffy)

Trips (e.g., long, mostly highway):
Before Trip (depends on vehicle) --> see below):
< 2 hrs: Fillup if > 2 hrs: Fillup if 8 tank

This all depends on which vehicle we're taking, too:
Legacy: ~425-490 miles per tank (easily)
Forester: ~300-350 miles per tank (stupid turbo)

I didn't think the extra trip mileage on the Legacy would matter much, but now that I'm spoiled I'll never buy an other family vehicle that gets less than 400 miles/tank highway (at least!)

what's wrong with you guys? Fill it up once it gets to the halfway mark? I bet most of you stop in at the gas station and waste $5 on something you probably don't need also.

Typically I will let it get down to 1/4 at the lowest. If I'm running Techron through I will run it until the fuel light comes on. More fuel in the tank means more cooling for the fuel pump so I don't like to let it get too low very often.

I have no problem running my cars close to E, but I am also dumb enough to have run out a few times.

I have learned with my FXT that the "range" display will change to a dash (-) very soon after dropping to 20 miles, so I do try to use 30 miles of range as an absolute limit.

If I'm driving on the highway in an area I don't know, I use 1/4 tank as my limit...I remember that gas stops could be far apart on IL tollways, for example.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I fill it up when it hits the light.

Pretty much. Though I often use my Scangauge to track fuel consumption so I can continue to run for a bit. I know I have very close to 3 gallons once the light comes on. So far my record is 18.2Gal into a 19Gal tank.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Typically I will let it get down to 1/4 at the lowest. If I'm running Techron through I will run it until the fuel light comes on. More fuel in the tank means more cooling for the fuel pump so I don't like to let it get too low very often.

And average fuel pump is using something like 100W of power. Given that the electric motor is around 90% efficient (low ball estimate),that leaves about 10W of heat to dicipate.

Then need almost nothing to keep them cool.

The Sonata is my daily driver, usually fill up every 8 days or so, 430 miles roughly. It shows me the range, and if it's less than my 67 mile daily commute, I'll fill it up. I usually only fill up at a Costco by my house at night when I get home from work.

I'm not afraid to use the entire tank and run it all the way down though.

I usually refill between 1/4 and 1/2 tank. Around here the gas jumps around 30cents.. so I try to time my fillup to before those.

It will gradually lower for 5-10days then hop up 25-35cents.

Obviously spending $5 more on gas wont bankrupt you, but its annoying out of proportion to the $5

I have not let a tank go below 1/4 for a few years now. Typically at 1/2 or just below I fill it up. Nice to be retired now, so a tank lasts us a good 6 weeks on each vehicle.

When the light comes on b/c I like living life on the edge.

Last edited:
Many comments remind me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer wants to see how far he can go when the gas light comes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back