How much do you fill your oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

In my case I've been prefilling the oil filter for years, after I decided to add up all the dry starts! ouch!

I fill it only because it really doesn't hurt anything but in all honesty it's not as if you're actually going to see a dry start. There is more than enough residual oil on the parts of the engine to alleviate any chance of metal to metal contact of any kind after an oil change even with a dry oil filter.

I have a vertical filter pointing up, I fill it to about an inch or so from the top, let it sit and saturate the filter media for about 5 min. then add some and bring it almost to the top...
After it's in and full of oil... Start it, check for leaks, (no leaks), after i'll have a couple of
04.gif

Originally Posted By: khittner
I've never filled my oil filters in the several decades I've been changing my own oil in multiple vehicles well over 200K miles. Doing so is an OCD/BITOG thing.

I fill the filter to the top until it runs out, then add more to make sure it is 110% full.
The mess it makes is worth the feeling I get with a full filter.

Wow, I'm not as anal as I thought. Maybe I'm normal? I have never filled an oil filter prior to installation.

Of course I have always used "______________ " synthetic oil which sticks to the metal and prevents all dry start ups.

Naw, just kidding....

Most of my filters are tilted too much. My driveway is too gnarly looking from just regular oil changes to stain it even more.

Obviously filling or not isn't critical. However, if pre-filling a dry filter doesn't help the engine at all, then obviously anti-drainback valves don't help either. Yet, people worry about leaky advs. Weird!

Back in the dark ages when I used horizontal-axis cartridge filters, I pre-filled them as much as possible without spilling.

Last edited:
I always pre-fill them as long as they mount vertically and don't spill any oil. It takes some period of time to fill that filter and that means a longer time until oil gets to the most remote bearings and components, especially if you let the car sit overnight with that dry filter. I see a difference in delay times on my oil pressure gauge between the 2 methods. One would imagine trying to push oil across a dry filter is harder than one already pre-soaked.

If new oil has debris, metal shavings and other bad things in it, we have big problems in QC. If the auto industry's standard for the drive train was that it doesn't blow up by 100-150K miles, that's not much comfort for those who are planning on going to 200-350K on engines.

The question that has been debated to death by the looks of things? My opinion is, for those that don't prefill, is, to watch your oil pressure gauge and see that some time elapses, albeit, only a little bit, but that does show the engine is without pressure for that period of time, which is not a good thing, imo.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1603610
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=332321
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=310503
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=352942

If not mounted vertically, as much as I estimate I can without it dumping out upon installation. If vertical, at least 1/3 full but if I'm not in a hurry, full.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Obviously filling or not isn't critical. However, if pre-filling a dry filter doesn't help the engine at all, then obviously anti-drainback valves don't help either. Yet, people worry about leaky advs.

Good point
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: CR94
However, if pre-filling a dry filter doesn't help the engine at all, then obviously anti-drainback valves don't help either. Yet, people worry about leaky advs. Weird!

Yep....................................

there are folks here that will NOT run a nitrile ADBV.

Red Silicome ADBV or BUST!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I see a difference in delay times on my oil pressure gauge between the 2 methods. One would imagine trying to push oil across a dry filter is harder than one already pre-soaked.

Yep, same here.

Filled filter = Oil pressure the second the engine lights off.
Dry filter = 3-4 seconds

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
If new oil has debris, metal shavings and other bad things in it, we have big problems in QC.

Yeah, same with every lawnmower, VW type 1, etc. etc. etc......

"oil from the bottle is dirty!" blah blah blah blah........

What is the difference between ..........
a vertical filter not filled with oil (but it could be filled)
a horizontal filter not filled with oil (because it would spill out)

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
What is the difference between ..........
a vertical filter not filled with oil (but it could be filled)
a horizontal filter not filled with oil (because it would spill out)
The horizontal-axis filter can be partially pre-filled without spilling. It may be more dependent on the anti-drainback valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back