How much coolant in a big Cummins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an old Peterbilt. It has an 855 cu in Cummins inline-6 diesel engine.

The stuff in it now is very murky so I'm going to flush it out with a hose, then use Deionized water to flush out the tap water.

How much coolant to add? Whats the system capacity? I also have some of that Nalcool stuff that helps prevent pitting of the liners.

How much of that to add?

Nobody is open on Sundays here. I'm mainly concerned with it freezing and cracking the block. It got down to 25F last night! I have 4 gallons of green antifreeze. I think that should be enough to prevent it from freezing.

To give you an idea, my 7.3L 8cyl Diesel takes eight gallons. With four of them antifreeze and four distilled water, you should be fine with what you have.

I did a 1/2 flush with the garden hose and then dumped in some deionized water and let it run and drained that.

I added 4 gallons of coolant and the rest water. Mixture is only 33%. Good enough to stop it from freezing here but I need to drain it again as it's turned brown already.

Took me 9 (or 8, I forget) flushes to get all the old coolant out of my 7.3L navistar. Only then was I convinced that most to all of the old fluid was gone. I know it's kind of over kill to flush that many times, but I was just trying to show my doctor that I wasn't obsessive compulsive.
gr_eek2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back