How many GenX'ers do we have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And their grandparents, too.
Yeah - watching T-ball became too risky - so then took up quail hunting with this guy …

IMG_1802.jpeg

Actually, Gen X per academic articles is 1980, though some argue it ends really in 1983.
My wife & I went to the same college (CalPoly SLO). We settled it by what they had listed as the start of millennial generation, 1980. She likes to make fun of millennials & considers herself GenX. Since I had tricked her into settling an argument if she was a millennial or not by using Poly’s definition I get to rib her in jest. She finds all sorts of other definitions but that ship has sailed 😉

Hopefully that ramble makes sense. I’m on night shift brain & woke up WAY too early today.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone btw.

My middle brother was born in Oct 80 and he’s definitely Gen X. My youngest brother was born in 83 but he’s not a millennial either; he’s definitely Generation Beta. I’ve met tomatoes with thicker skin than he has.
My younger brother is also Oct ‘80. He’s retiring from active duty this coming Jan 31st. We were both raised on the ranch & learned how to cause chaos & fix things on our own. Can still hear our grandmothers voice calling us back in for lunch or dinner. Still amazed her voice could carry as far as it did.

As a former free-range kid it pains me to have raised a kid who despite my best efforts could experience only a fraction of the freedom I had when I was growing up. It's a matter of place and time.

Imagine a world where you could not be found or contacted in any way for sometimes days on end with regularity. My parents lived in that world.
Those were good, but I preferred these, and would buy them by the case:
View attachment 189973
Both fine media. The good stuff.

Screenshot 2023-11-23 at 12.14.09 PM.jpg

Last edited:
As a former free-range kid it pains me to have raised a kid who despite my best efforts could experience only a fraction of the freedom I had when I was growing up. It's a matter of place and time.

I lived in a big neighborhood when I was a kid. Places where the grand plan (looking at you, Virginia) is a 300-home subdivision off a 2-lane highway with a 45-55MPH speed limit and school is a 45-minute bus ride away don't offer a lot of freedom for a kid.

I’m a tweener. Born in the early 80’s so technically an old millennial but raised like an X-er with my X-er older sibling. We were poor so I didn’t get the benefit of experiencing things like people of my same age. When you’re broke it is like living 10 years in the past cause you cannot afford anything new. I guess you could say I’m old enough to remember the before times but not old enough to consider it my heyday.

Funny phenomenon: most people consider the “best era” to be when they were at their youthful peak… it has to less to do with things actually being “better” back then and more to with you being “better” back then. Things didn’t get worse over time - you did. Lol 😂
Same here, born in mid-80's, but we lived in mid-Missouri on a farm so I was a bit behind. I don't really identify with any generation.

My wife & I went to the same college (CalPoly SLO). We settled it by what they had listed as the start of millennial generation, 1980. She likes to make fun of millennials & considers herself GenX. Since I had tricked her into settling an argument if she was a millennial or not by using Poly’s definition I get to rib her in jest. She finds all sorts of other definitions but that ship has sailed 😉

Hopefully that ramble makes sense. I’m on night shift brain & woke up WAY too early today.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone btw.
I was just joking.
However, still cannot get over the fact that he put INXS instead of Dire Straits. I mean seriously? On a Thanksgiving!

Same here, born in mid-80's, but we lived in mid-Missouri on a farm so I was a bit behind. I don't really identify with any generation.
Same. 83 and south central Missouri. I keep seeing talk of participation trophies but when I played little league they didn’t even give out 2nd and 3rd our county only had enough funds for first place to get a trophy 🤣

The boomer one didn't get much traction, guess they are all too busy buying gift cards for their grandkid that got imprisoned while on an overseas trip they didn't know about.
Locked. Classic.

Oct. '79 here. On the generation thing there are different websites that actually list different cutoffs, some say late 70's but then others show the early 80's.

Free range kid starting 2nd grade. Mum dropped off at ski resort with dime(call) and $0.50 (hot chocolate) with friends every weekend. Rode in back of Subaru wagon, pickup truck bed, whatever no seat belts.

Drove field beaters(uninspectible free cars) age 12 for fun at friends field racing around dirt or ice packed track. Mom hated that one and made me wear seatbelt and their old motorcycle helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back