How long til there are different prices of electricity at charging stations?

There are two elements to the cost of delivered electricity. One is energy, the kilowatt hours. On the electric grid, the cost of supplying electricity varies constantly, but is generally higher when total demand on the grid is high, and the cost is lower when total demand on the grid is lower.

The second element is demand, the maximum rate at which electricity is delivered. The charging infrastructure must be sized to meet the demand of the load. So, logically, fast charging takes more demand than slower charging, and fast charging should cost the consumer more if prices are to reflect underlying costs.

Not the point. 3 buttons on the charging station, one for coal fired electricity, one for solar electricity, one for methane from cows electricity. How much "green" do you want to pay for.
Thanks for the information. I choose cheapest price wins all the time. As long as the cheaper electricity isnt inferior quality. ;)

Not the point. 3 buttons on the charging station, one for coal fired electricity, one for solar electricity, one for methane from cows electricity. How much "green" do you want to pay for.
you are kidding right?

Please make sense of this.
Do you own an EV? I am asking to level set the conversation.
From a high level, there are 2 scenarios.
1 - When the car is not in use, such as overnight at home or at work. Slow charging, Level 1 or Level 2 (better) is fine.
2 - On the road when you need the car. Supercharging means your car is taking longer to fuel. The goal is to minimize charging time to get to your destination. I generally charge from 5 to 10 minutes; basically a top off. Why spend more time than you need to? It gets worse if you are driving longer distances.

Your going to have to go to China if you want the cheap most dependable coal power electicity before long. Now that science has cleaned up our coal emissions with the scrubbers, our govenrment wants to get rid of coal ????? I think the charging stations should only have a wind tower and a solar panel, that would people feel like they are really green!

We already have that in our municipal electricity called SVCE here. The default is they will buy 1/2 of your electricity from renewable and you can get 100% if you want for a slightly higher price. Somehow they are able to get contracts for slightly below PG&E at 1/2 renewable.

you are kidding right?
Maybe. The concept was a real thing with the electric company we were on in the early 2000s in Pa. It would be easy to program into a touchpad on the charger and could be another profit center. We wondered back then how they got the sustainably produced electricity into the wires and to the people who wanted it. :unsure:

We'll see it in California first if it happens. ;)

Edit to add PandaBear confirms Cali already offers it.

Maybe someday you'll also be able to choose between:

Coal fired electricity for 50 cents/kWh

Gas fired electricity for 65 cents/kWh

Solar produced electricity for 95 cents/kWh

Electricity from methane from non-genetically engineered free range cows eating all natural native grasses for $1.50/kWh
How is that possible when electricity is a blend and always will be a blend of sources(thankfully) including hydro and nuke.

How is that possible when electricity is a blend and always will be a blend of sources(thankfully) including hydro and nuke
Because in areas of the USA you have a choice to choose more expensive green energy if you wish.
You are then charged the correct kWh rate. Your local utility charges separate for their distribution system as best I understand it.
For example in the "blend" that you mention, you can pay the higher green cost for green energy that the utility pays, leaving the lower cost to others.

How is that possible when electricity is a blend and always will be a blend of sources(thankfully) including hydro and nuke.

Theoretically it's who adds to the sources even though an electron is an electron.

It's like gasoline. A Chevron station is theoretically buying fuel from Chevron even though the actual fuel may come from a different refiner or possibly a company that Chevron bought from. It's moved by pipelines and is more or less a commodity. But that's the way it's delivered, where it's all really an accounting/logistics exercise at that point, but not a guarantee of end to end purity of the source.

Because in areas of the USA you have a choice to choose more expensive green energy if you wish.
You are then charged the correct kWh rate. Your local utility charges separate for their distribution system as best I understand it.
For example in the "blend" that you mention, you can pay the higher green cost for green energy that the utility pays, leaving the lower cost to others.
the issue with paying for “green energy” is you are paying a premium for a product that is tainted by “dirty” energy. The reality is the rate of power to your door is a blend of resources at any given moment as it’s impossible to seperate it.

the issue with paying for “green energy” is you are paying a premium for a product that is tainted by “dirty” energy. The reality is the rate of power to your door is a blend of resources at any given moment as it’s impossible to seperate it.
Don’t misunderstand me, for me personally price rules, I don’t care the source

Don’t misunderstand me, for me personally price rules, I don’t care the source
Me either, especially when you see what it takes to mine and produce the products to "go green," and how they generate power to charge up an electric car. IMO it isn't much better than oil refineries, coal mining, or gassing up an ICE. Flame suit on.

Impossible you say, electricity is electricity. Maybe not. In the 90s the electric company where we lived offered customers the opportunity to buy electricity that was more sustainably produced and of course it cost more. Surely they didn't think this up so maybe you remember it. A friend told us his wife decided to try the eco-friendly electricity, not surprising as she leaned noticeably to port. He went along with it to keep the conjugal peace. Don't think Elon hasn't already thought of it. ;)

Didn't know whether to post in the EV or Humor section.
This will definitely be a thing. Let's face it a few years ago just about every charging station was free due to feel good legislation. At some point charging stations started to gasp charge for electricity. I think it will continue to evolve and very possibly show a higher price during peak demand times etc.

What does it really matter? I have a rudimentary understanding of electricity down a wire from a physics and engineering background (that I don't primarily use these days), so bear with me. A conductive metal is just really a container for a sea of electrons, and when one electron is pushed at one end, the eventually effect at the other end will be an electron pushed through, but it won't be the same electron.

That's basically what we have. The delivery of electricity is an interchange system. Suppliers put electricity into the system and consumers take electricity out of the system. The consumer in this case gets the electricity from the specific supplier. However, all these different sources are pushing electrons through. I don't see how it's really tainted since an electron is an electron. Someone else is free to pay for a "dirty" source, but that doesn't really affect what another customer does. Short of having segregated delivery systems, a shared system still manages to get electricity from the supplier to the customer. The system is shared for economic reasons and not to force one source on any particular user.

Back