How long do you let your chainsaw warm up?

Ah dang, Grolsch! Haven't had that in years. Good stuff even if it IS a lager. As is Steve's advice (who doesn't like a beer swigging chainsaw wielding YouTuber?). I like his channel. Anyway, do that. Warm until it runs smooth, generally about a minute, then gradually load it with a few easy cuts before letting it rip hard and long. As long as you are tuned well, shouldn't load up or stall just letting it idle for a minute or so. Even in really cold weather.

I just plug 'em in and let'r rip. No hassle with gas, mixing oil, spark plugs, and hope it will start.
Even with a fairly light-duty chainsaw like an MS251, there’s a lot you can’t do and there’s a lot that would be more dangerous with an electric saw. I’ve only got 9 trees “in” my yard, but my nearly 1000’ of fence line is completely saturated with them (probably 200+; a mix of oak, mulberry, maple, weeping willow, black walnut, some evergreen bushes, and a few unknowns).

Not only is the extension cord distance untenable on several levels (cost, distance, current carrying capability over that length, etc), but any big branches down after a storm would quickly overwhelm an electric saw. Plus, having a cord strung up into the tree increases the risk if the cut branch were to fall awkwardly and land on it, possibly jerking the saw, me, or both out of the tree. In light of that, keeping a 1-gal jug of fresh premix is a tiny inconvenience.

Count your blessings that a set of pruning shears can maintain your yard 👍🏻

Even with a fairly light-duty chainsaw like an MS251, there’s a lot you can’t do and there’s a lot that would be more dangerous with an electric saw.
After having this tree taken down,

IMG_2501.JPG

I had no problem cutting up the 20-24 inch diameter trunk with this Worx electric powered by a 10 year old Chinese generator.

After having this tree taken down,

View attachment 188485

I had no problem cutting up the 20-24 inch diameter trunk with this Worx electric powered by a 10 year old Chinese generator.

That sounds like a huge PITA. How long did that take?

Give some time to warm up, piston expands more/faster than the cylinder. I've seen guys cold seize air cooled snowmobile engines with no warm up. Want the saw to last, let it warm up some.

Give some time to warm up, piston expands more/faster than the cylinder. I've seen guys cold seize air cooled snowmobile engines with no warm up. Want the saw to last, let it warm up some.
I think the larger engines may be prone to this vs the small bore. My dealer recommended a 3 minute warm up for my 80cc leaf blower.

I don't have any links or science to back my claim up but I was told when I got my first chainsaw. The way two stroke lubricate itself is by by having fuel/oil mix run through the motor. And the best lubrication is then it's revved up or full rev. I personally always had it run for about 30 seconds before I go to work but I also have never used it in below 40 degrees.

when i used to saw wood ,the night before if cold out just brought the chain saw (efco 956) in the house,,then outside warm up for a minute or so then carefully start cutting, used Amsoil 2 cycle oil at 50 to one ,or canned fuel ,no probems,,,never set a hot saw in snow also

I'm using my three chainsaws a lot more on our property up here in Vermont than I ever did back in Florida. The ambient temperature tends to be lower here too so I usually let them idle about 2-3 minutes before I start cutting. Is that enough?
I bet I give mine about 5 seconds before I start revving it to keep it from dying. About 30 seconds in they are idling fine and I go WOT cutting. My old MS170 has been abused to no end, rarely ever getting any sort of warmup and so far.. no issues. It’s 13+ years old too.

I'm using my three chainsaws a lot more on our property up here in Vermont than I ever did back in Florida. The ambient temperature tends to be lower here too so I usually let them idle about 2-3 minutes before I start cutting. Is that enough?
I would say yes. Use Trufuel

Back