How long do you let your chainsaw warm up?

I'm using my three chainsaws a lot more on our property up here in Vermont than I ever did back in Florida. The ambient temperature tends to be lower here too so I usually let them idle about 2-3 minutes before I start cutting. Is that enough?

I'm using my three chainsaws a lot more on our property up here in Vermont than I ever did back in Florida. The ambient temperature tends to be lower here too so I usually let them idle about 2-3 minutes before I start cutting. Is that enough?
I'd say that's just fine. Are we talking really old saws or ?

Do you see any scuffing on the piston when you pull it apart?
If so lengthen the warmup if not you are fine.

No, the oldest one is from the 90s and the other two are less than 5 years old.
I think you're doing things right. Since they are most likely 2 stroke they're getting oil as soon as you're getting fuel. Also, If anything they'd like to be throttled up in cold weather anyways since they need more fuel then.

Do you see any scuffing on the piston when you pull it apart?
If so lengthen the warmup if not you are fine.
I've only looked at the oldest 025 Stihl and it looked great but I'm not sure if that's a good indicator.

I guess at -10C I'll let them warm up for a while, 2-3 minutes, but in warm weather normally I'll just go easy on them for the first couple cuts. Usually there's always a few branches or small trees to cut out of the way, to clear the exits if I'm felling, or just start on some small stuff if I'm doing firewood.

None since i pretty much never use one below 60f. But even in 30f weather i don't think more than a half minute is necessary. They build heat quickly. I'd worry about the oil more, I'd only use full syn in low temps.

Usually around a minute.

1. Start saw
2. Spend a minute or so "setting up" the cutting area, clearing any debris, or putting safety equipment on
3. Blip the throttle a few times before going full throttle in the wood

Anything else is over kill, even in cold weather. The only way you can really cause damage is if it is very cold and you start the saw and immediately go to full throttle because the piston and cylinder expand at different rates. With that said, the cause is more likely a lack of oil getting to everything since the saw has only been running for a second or two.

I have a Stilh chainsaw and leaf blower. Normally I let them warm up at least thirty seconds before lightly revving the engine for another thirty seconds. When it is really cold, meaning below freezing, I will let the chainsaw run two minutes before using it.

My only other remaing piece of 2-stroke OPE is a single stage snow blower dating to around 1996. That machine stays in the garage where the temperature doesn't go below freezing. Normally I let that machine run about two minutes before loading it up. The latter is 212 cc whereas the former two are probably 25-35cc. I suspect that the smaller engines warm up faster as there is a lot less engine to warm.

I put the saw to work immediately after start up. I don't feel any warm up time is necessary.

Back