How Is Perfect Rice Cooked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
I love rice; it's my preferred starch. But I've noticed that when I get rice from Chinese restaurants, etc, the rice is perfect, not sticky or gummy.
When I cook it in a pot at home, it gets all sticky and gummy (especially certain brands or varieties).
Do I need to get a rice cooker? If so, what's the best one to get?

They use a rice cooker. All my chinese friends do as it cooks the rice better than a boiling pan.

I think a lot of cooking is just figuring out what works with your stove/oven. Stoves are hard because they are all so different, and you cannot really measure the temp you have to use the graduations on the dial. I would always figure it out when I was in school, then move to a new place with a different stove and have to start all over.

You just have to measure time, and heat and then keep practicing and trying new things until you get the results that you want.

I love rice; it's my preferred starch. But I've noticed that when I get rice from Chinese restaurants, etc, the rice is perfect, not sticky or gummy.

When I cook it in a pot at home, it gets all sticky and gummy (especially certain brands or varieties).

You will probably need a rice cooker if you want to mimic the way Chinese restaurants cook their rice. Also the kind of rice you use is crucial, the rice used in Chinese restaurants is different from Japanese/Korean restaurants, Indian restaurants, and totally different from what you get in a risotto or a paella.

One of the best ones are the Japanese ones and they literally can last for decades, Tiger, Toshiba, Panasonic.... etc.

Let's say you already have a rice cooker and you manage to get a big of rice from an Asian grocery store. The next important thing is experimenting with the water proportion which is the only element that contribute to how sticky or gummy you want to rice.

Some rice cookers come with a plastic cup with some sort of calibration. Inside the cooker itself there is also some calibration, so if you use 1 cup of rice you just need to put water up to the "1" mark in the cooker. Less water if you want it more chewy, more water if you want it more sticky.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Treat rice like pasta.

Big pot of water, bring to boil. Dump in rice. Let boil for 14 minutes or until desired texture is where you like it. you can taste as you go.

Drain in mesh collander, return to pot and bring to table.

Perfect every time.

I think I'll try it this way next time, instead of cooking it until the water all evaporates.

I've never had any problems with cooking pasta. I like it "al dente", and, just a few minutes in the boiling water is perfect.

The method is by Mark Bittman, NYT food writer and the author of "How to cook everything"

I went down the expensive rice cooker road in the past, recommended by Asian friends while living in NYC.

I much prefer the plain boiling water method and all my friends & relatives dig it too.

Worth trying as it doesn't cost much.

My Chinese buddies' family used a rice cooker, no boiling it in a pot for them. I used to eat with them a lot and their rice was great, my mom hated the stuff and would never cook it so it was a real treat for me to have it.

I believe most Indian places use basmati rice, I used to get up early to do exercises for my lumbar spine in Chicago and would watch the Indian channels since most of the others were repetitive news or talk shows or cartoons at that time and every other commercial was for basmati rice. I love to eat it, but I suspect that basmati is not so popular in the US because the grains tend to stay separate and it takes a while to eat rice that has no stickiness to it...kind of like herding cats. Also had an Indian buddy in high school, but I don't know how they cooked their rice.

My favorite rice might be the sticky rice wrapped in a big leaf (lotus?) with meat and veggies that you get at dim sum. I think that almost has to be steamed given the way it is presented. I just unfold the leaf a bit and stick my face in there, won't stop til it's all gone.

Wash the rice! thats what keeps it from getting sticky. I also add a tablespoon of coconut oil to mine and let it sit for one day in the fridge before eating..it cuts the calories in half and makes the rice more digestible.

I use an Aroma rice cooker from walmart. Comes out perfect every time.

I have noticed that the yellow bag of jasmine rice lies about the amount of water..a misprint i think.

1 cup of rice to 1 cup of water for short grain white rice; 1.5 cups of water for long grain or medium grain white rice; and 2 cups of water per cup of brown rice.

Another recommendation to get a rice cooker. I have a Tiger brand. As someone else pointed out, it comes with a measuring cup for the rice. Inside the metal cooking bowl, there are gradients for the water. Want 1 cup of rice? Take the cup and scoop out 1 cup of rice. Dump it in the bowl, rinse once, and then fill water to the "1" level. Place it back in the cooker and press the "On" button. It does the rest.

If it's too sticky, stir the rice and leave the lid open for a bit. The steam will escape and the rice will dry out a bit. Not too long or it will cool. Reduce water slightly the next time. Too dry? Add a little more water the next time.

The best part of using a rice cooker is that you will get dialed in and then you can easily repeat from that point on. You don't have to watch it or time it. Just put in the water and rice, press "On" and you're done.

Asian chiming in - we tend to favor the rice cooker and they shun Uncle Ben's/Minute Rice or any parcooked rice. Many Chinese restaurants use plain old short-grain white rice if jasmine rice isn't available. Thai, Khmer and Mien/Hmong use jasmine rice. The Japanese and Koreans prefer Japonica or Calrose rice, while the Indians use basmati rice. The grains and starch/sugar content are different with these rices.

If you live by a Trader Joe's or Whole Wallet, you can reliably get jasmine rice - but if you live by a area with a sizable Asian population you can get "fresher" rice as they obviously move more. Costco also sells jasmine rice, my parents get it from there. There is a big difference with jasmine versus domestic rice - the aroma and grain is different.

A good rice cooker is key, the snob in me recommends a Japanese brand like Tiger/Zojirushi/Panasonic(Matsushita Electric until recently used Panasonic for AV and personal electronics and National for domestic appliances like rice cookers). Costco sells a 5-cup digital Zojirushi for $90 and it's foolproof. But many Asians prefer the simple but pricey Japanese-made manual Tiger, my parents still have theirs from 1998.

Rice to water ratio is important, the rule of thumb is 2:1 rice to water but I like 1.8:1 as I like my rice semi-dry.

The Chinese etc restaurants will steam it.

Some Chinese dishes (eg Dim Sum) require "sticky rice", so they do vary the cooking procedure somewhat depending if it's destined for the table or for use in a different dish. Wrapped in leaf and tied with cooking twine, like a package you are sending in the mail, and cooked over plenty of water in a bamboo steamer on the stove. Banana leaves work well for this but there are a few others that Oriental cooks will use, such as cabbage leaves. Traditional Oriental rice is short grain, most rice sold in North America is long grain.

Most oriental cooks will prepare more than they need for the meal, store the remainder in the refrigerator, and use it over the next day or two to make stir fries, fried rice, soups, and some other dishes. The natural de-humidity of a 'fridge will dry the rice somewhat, making it easier to deal with when cooking in a wok or skillet.

Oriental cooks will also wash the rice in clean water, just fill the pot, swish around and drain most of the water, continue until the water runs clear. Usually about 5x or so. But, it's not absolutely necessary, it just removes starch, hulls, and insects (not a problem with any food grade rice in North America) and provides a somewhat cleaner appearance. Especially with Japanese cooks, who are fastidious about freshness and cleanliness and appearance.

There are a lot of ways to cook rice, and different varieties require different procedures. But if you know any Asian families, as soon as they can afford it they buy rice cookers.

Panasonic makes excellent rice cookers, get the computer-controlled one, if you want to go that way, but even a $20 Wall-Mart special will cook white rice just fine. It's other varieties that it may have less than perfect results with. Or your local Oriental Grocery Store will probably have some that you could buy, usually inexpensive China-sourced units with mysterious brand names.

If you want to try it at home, spending no extra money (maybe), try this:
Use just less than 2x water to white rice.
Combine water and rice in a pot on the stovetop. Add a pinch of salt if you like.
Bring oven up to the lowest temperature it will reasonably heat to ... perhaps 185F, but less than boiling temperature.
Bring to a boil, then cover with *a tight fitting lid* ... that is important. You may have to buy a new pot and lid if you don't have one with a tight lid at home now.
Remove from heat and pop into oven. Leave for at least 20 minutes, but you can leave it longer if you want. If you do, turn the oven off after 20 minutes ( or 45 for brown rice).

Never "check" rice by removing the lid while cooking once you place it on the pot.

You can try other liquids instead of water, for example chicken broth.

I'm not sure about contaminants in the rice fields, especially since the US (California) is a huge grower of rice and is a net exporter. Just buy CA rice if you're worried about imported rice, but honestly I don't think it's a problem myself.

Use jasmine rice in a rice cooker. We have a little Panasonic one and when she bought it I thought it was a waste of space and money. I was wrong, she was right. Aldi jasmine rice in this thing is better than most Chinese places. I do 2 parts rice to 3 water.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72

Wash the rice! thats what keeps it from getting sticky. I also add a tablespoon of coconut oil to mine and let it sit for one day in the fridge before eating..it cuts the calories in half and makes the rice more digestible.

I have noticed that the yellow bag of jasmine rice lies about the amount of water..a misprint i think.

1 cup of rice to 1 cup of water for short grain white rice; 1.5 cups of water for long grain or medium grain white rice; and 2 cups of water per cup of brown rice.

WHOA NELLY!
The bolded statements sounded too good to be true...sounds like calorie reductions of 10-12% were measured, but the author FELT that up to 60% was possible depending upon the type of rice used. I can't find anything that suggests that he ever proved his assertion.
Also, carbs are being converted to become LESS digestible, not more...one article even warned that some people might experience stomach upset from eating rice made this way.

https://health.usnews.com/health-news/bl...ice-really-work

Good Lord, what a way to mess up something as simple as rice, no need to add oil, butter and all that nonsense, when cooking my Jasmine rice I rinse once and add water up to the first digit on your middle finger and press Start, rice comes out perfect, fluffy with no stick.
cheers3.gif

First, start with long grain white rice (Mahatma).
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil with a little salt.
Add 1 cup of rice to the boiling water, stir well and bring it back to full boil.
Now turn it down to a simmer and put a lid on it.
Simmer for 20 minutes, lid on and no peeking.
After 20 minutes, turn it off and remove from the burner.
Fluff with a fork (No Spoon) and serve with butter or gravy.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Asian chiming in - we tend to favor the rice cooker and they shun Uncle Ben's/Minute Rice or any parcooked rice. Many Chinese restaurants use plain old short-grain white rice if jasmine rice isn't available.

I can succeed with Minute Rice, but Uncle Ben's just won't work for me. My rule of thumb, however, is if I want rice, I tend to go to a Chinese restaurant. There's one in Moose Jaw that actually has the rice cooker out on the buffet.

Originally Posted By: MParr
First, start with long grain white rice (Mahatma).
Bring 2 cups of water to a boil with a little salt.
Add 1 cup of rice to the boiling water, stir well and bring it back to full boil.
Now turn it down to a simmer and put a lid on it.
Simmer for 20 minutes, lid on and no peeking.
After 20 minutes, turn it off and remove from the burner.
Fluff with a fork (No Spoon) and serve with butter or gravy.

That is how we do it in my family.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

WHOA NELLY!
The bolded statements sounded too good to be true...sounds like calorie reductions of 10-12% were measured, but the author FELT that up to 60% was possible depending upon the type of rice used. I can't find anything that suggests that he ever proved his assertion.
Also, carbs are being converted to become LESS digestible, not more...one article even warned that some people might experience stomach upset from eating rice made this way.

Yeah, there is no way that making something more digestible reduces calories.

2 parts water, 1 part rice.
Bring to boil, turn heat down, keep lid on for 20 minutes.

Use what you need tonight, then store what you don't need in ziplok bags (we cook 2lb of rice at a time)...refrigerate 24 hours, and freeze the service size sachets.

Nuke them when you need them.

Yes, retrograding starches.

It has improved my wife's bloating after eating rice tremendously.

Originally Posted By: AVB
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

WHOA NELLY!

Yeah, there is no way that making something more digestible reduces calories.

I am on 3 year old data and i dont eat many carbs now adays...but here is the 3 year old info that i was going by.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/adding-coconut-oil-to-rice-could-cut-calories-in-half/

I was wrong in the digestion too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back