How hot do valve stem seals get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need convincing. Porting an polishing has been around for decades it helped a lot more with carbureted engines where the air and the fuel flow was smoothed out. This was done mostly after all the other tricks were used to get the most power out of the engine.
The L36/L26 and L67 heads are different, the SC heads have the injector bung in the head, the L36/L26 are in the manifold.
Smoothing out the air flow with FI is not as beneficial as it was years ago but hey its your time and your money, for the 12 hrs work and counting and the money you spent already a lot more could have been had IMO.

To properly port heads and manifolds a flow bench is a must for best results. For that sort of work I would sent it out to a shop that deals with this stuff as I don't have a flow bench or the experience with configuring the ports for what I want to achieve, HP, torque and at what RPM.
That all depends on the weight of the car, what cam is in the engine the amount of boost if any, converter stall speed or gear ratios, fuel used and delivery type and timing, all sorts of things. Everything has to work together properly to make the car really quick.

And I’m just looking to compliment my existing mods, not make a race car. I’m getting assistance from a 3800 Performance Facebook group member whom had done a half dozen sets of his own heads. Latest build is 800hp turbo setup.

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif
Cool.

And polishing doesn’t benefit carbureted engines. You need a rougher finish to get the spray to mix thoroughly with the air. EFI is a fine mist and despite the difference between L36/L67 heads the difference isn’t much. The L36 lower has injector bungs literally 1/4 inch before the LIM to head gasket. The tips of the injectors point directly into the intake port and the finish in the lower is pretty much the same the head. Removing the large hump before the injector bungs on the Series II Heads is worth 3-4cfm by itself. Coincidently the heads I got were series II heads.

The extra 40HP comes from the injectors, blower and lower intake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I was just trying to find him something better than old used up junk. I wish those Aussie heads were still around.

They aren’t used up. Completely rebuilt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hemispheres

The extra 40HP comes from the injectors, blower and lower intake.

21.gif
Do you read the post?

Originally Posted By: trav
the difference between a L36 and L67 was 40 HP with a small blower and bigger injectors (19lb vs 30lb).

Sorry I have lost interest in this thread.

No I didn't. Just read portions of your condescending post along with the snarky 2 word reply and rolled my eyes.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I was just trying to find him something better than old used up junk. I wish those Aussie heads were still around.

Which Aussie heads ?

What's the difference ?

Originally Posted By: Hemispheres
No I didn't. Just read portions of your condescending post along with the snarky 2 word reply and rolled my eyes.
laugh.gif

What is snarky about my reply? Its cool if you have someone to help you that has an idea on how its done rather than messing around in the dark.
Nothing condescending about my post either at least I didn't mean it to be, I just thing you could have got more bang for buck with something else and that's my opinion and as as said in my post IMO.

Re previous comments regarding porting, polishing, wetted area, and carbs/injection, here's some stuff from my engineeing thesis (1990), where amongst other things, I messed with fuel films in a manifold simulation.

Real air, real fuel, not dyed water (real explosion risk) Fuel was introduced at stoichiometric using a Bosch mechanical injector....could be upstream like here, or downstream, angled too,

Even though the throttle plate mixed it, it always ended up a film of fuel running along the floor, at about 1/10th the speed of the airflow...surface roughness did little.

Couple of other things I noticed with the rig.
* whack open the throttle plate, and the film of fuel would get dragged up with the air, and run into the simulated engine. That would leave a lean phase until the new equiilibrium established
* CRC system 1 was the inly injector cleaner that I could visibly see working (obviously before techron).
* 45 degree angled injector downstream of the butterfly still ended up with wet floors/walls, in the bourdary layer.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
R
Couple of other things I noticed with the rig.
* whack open the throttle plate, and the film of fuel would get dragged up with the air, and run into the simulated engine.

How did you simulate an engine? I'd think the flow would be quite pulsatile, especially at low speeds (obviously depending on the engine) which'd likely be important and non-trivial to simulate accurately

Last edited:
Actually you are right...pulsation free.

BIG vaccum pump pulling through a BIG receiver packed with steel wool

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Actually you are right...pulsation free.

BIG vaccum pump pulling through a BIG receiver packed with steel wool

You could probably have got a V8 cheaper

Time yes, money not really. Couple hundred between carbide burrs and assorted sanding rolls. Much less than having a shop do it.

Epoxy looks much better. Doesn’t turn into powder with under a burr and chunks don’t break off when I hit it. Looks to adhere better as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back