How good of a mechanic are you?

2-3, I at least have more of a clue what I'm doing than a lot of people I've seen that claim to be "mechanics," I got a relatively new self propelled mower off a guy that claimed to be a "mechanic" who didn't have the sense to diagnose a very large quantity of water in the fuel system and I think he messed up the intake lash and caused the push rod to bend, so after parts I got a $300 lawn mower for like $30.

I reached all there was to reach, for 3 brands. Now I'm not even in the business anymore and I don't miss it. Worked on trucks and busses aswell and was fairly good at it.

We never opened up ecu's to repair them which imo is for an electronics engineer anyway but other than that probably did it all. Never bothered with youtube videos but might consider it if I'm totally unfamiliar with something. But I will be a sceptic while watching it.

I'd consider myself a 5 until I stopped working, I'm a 3.5 now because I don't have the space or equipment to do interesting stuff.

2 or 3...Oil changes, brakes, did a CVT fluid drain and fill after watching the videos. Real diagnosis and repair like some of the people here? Not a chance.

3 years ago I purchased my first computer controlled car. A very humbling experience. Prior to that I was an experienced mechanic, now retired, who had made a living working on (now) vintage vehicles, both 2 and 4 wheeled.

Now I’m just another dinosaur awaiting extinction.

Z

Last edited:
Probably 2.5. If I had proper tools and equipment, I might eventually become a 3.5. I've done disc and drum brakes, plugs, wires, coils, etc, cleaning throttle body, engine, trans, power steering and differential fluids, AT filter and gasket. I only have a basic tool kit, ramps, jack and stands. For the most part, I get by and have fun. If it becomes too frustrating or hard on my back, I have no shame in letting someone more qualified do the job.

Has member Dunning Kruger replied to this thread yet? 😆
Does not look like it, since most are saying 2-3 range, which is the lower end of the scale. Dunning-Kruger would have everyone being a 4+.
Also the answers can be interpreted differently.
There are a few 2.5 and 3.5 answers here, which shows some are putting some thought and evaluation into their response.
Most that have responded with 4 or higher can give background to that response (which of course could be a lie, but that is different that not knowing where your skill is at).

If the OP had broken down what each thing meant, I think there would be and even more accurate score.

This is how I read them:
  1. None - is pretty clear, don't/can't do any thing to vehicle
  2. Some - basic maintenance (anything in the owners manual, oil change, air and cabin filters, wipers, maybe check and replace a fuse), things can be done with basic hand tools and minimal knowledge. youtube is their guide
  3. Decent shade tree mechanic - more advanced things such as brakes, all fluid changes, R&R attached engine parts (alternator, water pump, intake, valve cover gaskets and such), may need some more "advanced" tools (OBD code reader, maybe a low end scanner), most suspension and steering items, general knowledge of many automotive topics and more specific knowledge of own vehicles, OK diagnostic ability (may be a parts cannon at times, but not usually always). Probably uses youtube for some repairs, but may own a repair manual for specific vehicle. Has a basic 5-10 gallon air compressor, maybe a little better. This is a starting hobbyist level IMO.
  4. Really good shade tree - More advanced/specialty tools needed (general bi-directional scanners, welders, engine hoist) and knowledge to use them, replacing engines, advanced engine work (heads, exhaust (more than just external bolt on stuff), doing some A/C work, maybe some welding, never goes to a shop except for things that they do not have tools to do, good general knowledge of all automotive stuff, many makes and model knowledge (enough to hate a few brands and love others, but will work on them all if needed). Probably has a FSM for personal vehicles. Usually has a reason for replacing a part, not just "hope this is it". Probably works on other mechanical things as well (mowers, motorcycles, other motorized hobby things) as well as helping friends with repairs. Does this as a hobby as well as to save money. Probably has a "project" of some sort either finished (it is never finished), sitting in garage now, or future plans for.
  5. I am a mechanic - Someone probably with more than an attached garage, more equipment (probably has some type of a lift, maybe a brake lathe, good A/C equipment able to recover freon, Engine rebuilding, almost all vehicle repairs could be done), advanced diagnostic equipment and scan tools.
  6. I am a master mechanic - IMO this would be someone at an independent shop or dealership (or at least able to be hired there), ability (skills and equipment wise) to do any auto repair on a wide range of vehicles. Access (and probably own) any tools needed, welding, fab work, engine and transmission rebuilding, electrical diagnostic, ect, will warranty work, and while may not have ASE cert, could get it and probably get it, or even teach it.

There are some things that could fit into either category. Things like replacing differential gears could fall into the decent shade tree category if somebody has a need to do it often enough, but is more of a really good shade tree mechanic. Same for things like replacing head gaskets.
As I mentioned, I have done some things of vehicles that I would classify as a really good shade tree mechanic, but I don't think I really am, especially with the technology in vehicles today, you really need more specialized scanners to do some of it, and I just can't justify the $1000 for a diagnostic scanner (but have been looking at some in the $400-500 range).

I’d say a 5 because I’m still learning and always will be learning I’m sure. Yet I have tools and knowledge to do many things. And I work at a shop and do anything and everything mainly on Subaru vehicles as that is my brand so I’m not a shade tree mechanic. They make us diagnose stuff at work not just replace it and be a parts swapper. And I train all new techs even the ones with most experience have to do oil changes and tire rotations and other simple stuff for at least two weeks before we will let them do anything else to prove their skill level. That’s where I started too and it didn’t bother me. I maybe young but I’ve seen my fair share of excellent mechanics and then ones who have a whole huge box full of tools that can’t hardly change oil without messing up. And you learn as you go so the more you do the more you will learn. And I get treated well where I work which helps my motivation a lot and helps me learn more cause the older guys are always willing to show me stuff even if it involves them losing a little money.

Probably a solid 3. I am definitely a jack of many trades, master of none. I often get frustrated at how slow I am. I mean, really slow. But, I can, and sometimes do tackle some very huge challenges that even surprises me. Often, the learning curve is steep. I guess self satisfaction trumps the time vs. money aspect. I also mistakenly think that master tradesmen (plumber, electrician, whatever) would also do a lot of their own work at home with other things like automotive, carpentry, etc.. I am surprised how often these geniuses of their trade claim to leave things like spark plug changes to the experts. Maybe it's just that they have so much money that they can afford to farm out life's other necessities.

Yea, several hours for a front brake job for me vs. 1 hour or less for a pro. A contractor once told me that he could tell that I did the attic insulation in our house........it was WAY too neat.
I've been told similar by an electrical inspector.

I know skills range from little to much. Please tell us where you think you fall in your automotive skills:
1. None
2. Some
3. Decent shade tree mechanic
4. Really good shade tree
5. I am a mechanic
6. I am a master mechanic

I consider myself a decent shade tree mechanic but probably only because of YouTube help videos.
Good question, but can a 7th option be added? Maybe something along the lines of Scotty Approved?

Much like everything else in my life, how proficient I am at diagnosing and repairing vehicles depends upon whether or not the vehicle in question is in the same family as the family of vehicles I have recently owned.

Got a problem with a Dodge Challenger, Charger, Magnum, or Chrysler 300 manufactured in the last 15 years? I’m your man.

Got a problem with a vehicle from a different manufacturer or even a different model Dodge? I’ll take a shot at it, but I ain’t promising anything.

Back in the day, I was a certified Ford mechanic, could do most anything Ford, I was a 5. Now I am 74 years old & still do a lot of my own van repairs
DSCF2101.JPG
but it takes a lot longer as I don't have the drive & energy I used to. I still enjoy maintaining my van & doing repairs on my own time, I can't be rushed, can't do pressure. Probably a 2 now.

We never opened up ecu's to repair them which imo is for an electronics engineer anyway but other than that probably did it all. Never bothered with youtube videos but might consider it if I'm totally unfamiliar with something. But I will be a sceptic while watching it.
Internal controller repair is becoming an in-shop repair. I have taken some classes on it and have some experience with it. Sometimes a new unit is not available and a used unit may not be able to be used without being virginized first or copy and pasting eeprom information. Sometimes component level repair such as replacing failed drivers is economical as well.

Internal controller repair is becoming an in-shop repair. I have taken some classes on it and have some experience with it. Sometimes a new unit is not available and a used unit may not be able to be used without being virginized first or copy and pasting eeprom information. Sometimes component level repair such as replacing failed drivers is economical as well.

I know, but this wasn't the case yet for hyundai, mitsubishi or peugeot 10 years before.

Back