How far south do I have to go to get a nice rust-free subframe?

AZ definitely doesn't have rust but those cars take an absolute beating from the sun (unless stored in a garage 95% of the time). Paint gets wrecked, all the moldings fade out and crumble apart, interior gets faded, tires/batteries die faster, headlights fade. So pick your poison I guess.

Take it easy fellas….

Read the question as “whole car replacement”
Well that is what I thought too but look at replies 5 and 7. This is about replacing a rusted out subframe on the car. I don’t even know what that is. I would not have gotten involved in the thread if I thought it was about fixing a 19 year old Saturn. That’s way beyond my abilities. I’ll just spectate this thread now…

Georgia, I bought my 2000 regal from a friend down there and it gets put away in winter car is 23 years old and still has the original paint

AZ definitely doesn't have rust but those cars take an absolute beating from the sun (unless stored in a garage 95% of the time). Paint gets wrecked, all the moldings fade out and crumble apart, interior gets faded, tires/batteries die faster, headlights fade. So pick your poison I guess.
If your subframe is exposed to the sun I'd say you have other problems.

Is the title of the post not clear enough to say I'm looking for an auto part, not the auto itself?

Take it easy fellas….

Read the question as “whole car replacement”
And how did you come to that conclusion? Title reads,

How far south do I have to go to get a nice rust-free subframe?​

not

How far south do I have to go to get a nice rust-free car?​

The answer is central Florida.

I purchased an S2000 Honda that lived in South Calina, it had corrosion everywhere. Sadly, it was exposed to a few harsh winters in the hills.

It is less a matter of South, more a matter of salt free.

I’ve seen cars here in Virginia Beach, where they never salt the roads, that are rust buckets because the owner parks near the Ocean.

So, South, yes, but also not in the mountains, or by the shore. West, sure, but again, not in the mountains, or coastal areas.

It is less a matter of South, more a matter of salt free.

I’ve seen cars here in Virginia Beach, where they never salt the roads, that are rust buckets because the owner parks near the Ocean.

So, South, yes, but also not in the mountains, or by the shore. West, sure, but again, not in the mountains, or coastal areas.
This. I have seen extremely rusty cars in San Francisco because the owner lives near the Ocean.

I live near Charleston SC. A problem you might run into is many junkyard vehicles here are rusty hulks from up North - so without knowing the history your still as lost as ever.

I have never seen Road salt in South Carolina except in the Appalachia side. North Carolina I believe is mostly the same way, although around Raleigh I have seen sand and I assume it has some salt in it to keep it from clumping. If I were in DC I think your closest bet would be the NC piedmont or most anywhere in South Carolina East of Greenville and hope its local.
I had some rust develop in hte subframe of a car in Charleston. Sometimes the streets flood with salt water. That's right ocean water in the streets at super high tides.

Found a nice one at a pick and pull in Fredericksburg VA. They had 4 cars to choose from. Took over an hour to jack the front end and stack 2 tires under each frame rail to have decent access. Then spent 2 hours pulling the wheels, axle nuts, calipers and brackets, strut to knuckle nuts and plastic panels and fender liners underneath. Will resume tomorrow. Does the engine and transmission have to be supported from the top when dropping the subframe? The mounts at the sides are attached to the body so I don't think so.

Got it pulled today. Easier than I expected but I'll probably be sore in the morning. Under $50 OTD including control arms and core charge.

IMG_20230323_134627430_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230323_134652430_HDR.jpg

subframe.jpg

Back