How expensive are these all these new fangled saftey features in cars nowdays?

On Monday my girlfriend got rear ended at high speed while stopped for a bus. Cosmetically her car hardly got damaged. The at fault driver had the whole front end pretty much caved in.

However I'm worried her car might get totaled based off all the brake and safety systems that are now malfuctioning. Her car is a 2022 Mazda CX5 base model.

Her car connects to her phone via an app and her warnings are lit up like a christmas tree at the time of the accident:

ABS Malfunction
Parking Brake Malfunction
AWD Malfunction
Front Radar Malfunction

Plus about 2 or 3 more. And they repeat 2 or 3 times.

Anyone have any idea how much these systems cost to replace? I'm guessing big bucks.

Good to hear, I was worried as can be when I saw all of those lights lit up. I told her to take it to a Mazda certified repair facility just to be safe.

Good to hear, I was worried as can be when I saw all of those lights lit up. I told her to take it to a Mazda certified repair facility just to be safe.
You'll get used to it ;)

Because these systems are all about safety they PANIC if there's the slightest problem. It's SOP on modern vehicles with enhanced "safety" systems and in time the consumer will become desensitized to it. Just like those driving around with a CEL for something relatively minor or a TPMS light for a faulty sensor, it's the Boy Who Cried Wolf one too many times

I can't imagine a newer vehicle not looking damaged after a high-speed collision; they are very much designed to absorb energy.

Either -

1) the rear-end incident was NOT at high-speed
2) you have not looked closely enough

I can't imagine a newer vehicle not looking damaged after a high-speed collision; they are very much designed to absorb energy.

Either -

1) the rear-end incident was NOT at high-speed
2) you have not looked closely enough
That's what the collision center is for. The offending vehicle was totaled, radiator was almost on top of the engine. My girlfriends muffler was torn loose and dragging on the ground. Back bumper was intact and panels had some puncture marks but that was it on the mazda. It almost looked as if the offending car went under rear of the Mazda.

I know the speed limit is 55mph on that road and there were barely any skidmarks leading upto the impact point. State trooper pointed out it was an ABS stop.

Last edited:
On Monday my girlfriend got rear ended at high speed while stopped for a bus. Cosmetically her car hardly got damaged. The at fault driver had the whole front end pretty much caved in.

However I'm worried her car might get totaled based off all the brake and safety systems that are now malfuctioning. Her car is a 2022 Mazda CX5 base model.

Her car connects to her phone via an app and her warnings are lit up like a christmas tree at the time of the accident:

ABS Malfunction
Parking Brake Malfunction
AWD Malfunction
Front Radar Malfunction

Plus about 2 or 3 more. And they repeat 2 or 3 times.

Anyone have any idea how much these systems cost to replace? I'm guessing big bucks.
They not necessarily expensive it's just that due to their location on the vehicle it results in an additional part which needs to be replaced and that expense is passed onto the consumer in the form of higher insurance premiums.

No insurance company is going to total a 2022 anything, for what you are describing. Sounds like just some sensors in the bumper were damaged. $1,000, $2,000, maybe $3,000 max.
2022 Mavericks are being totaled frequently. No parts and insurance companies don't pay for rentals forever. It's get crazier every day over on Mavericktruckclub forum.

I've seen a total of 1 (one) Maverick on the road.
I went to two Ford dealerships Monday and didn't see one Maverick.
Apologies for not addressing the topic question.

This is part of the reason insurance rates are going up. In the old days, if someone bumped into you and hit your bumper or broke your rear view mirror, replacements weren't that expensive or hard to install. Nowadays, that bumper or rear view mirror has sensors on it which make it more expensive, and installation must ensure it's connected to the car and working.

The most critical safety feature of any car is the driver. If the driver is proficient and paying attention, you don't need the electronics. And if the driver is not, then no amount of electronics can make it safe.

You'll get used to it ;)

Because these systems are all about safety they PANIC if there's the slightest problem. It's SOP on modern vehicles with enhanced "safety" systems and in time the consumer will become desensitized to it. Just like those driving around with a CEL for something relatively minor or a TPMS light for a faulty sensor, it's the Boy Who Cried Wolf one too many times
So whats supposed to happen when you have a bad TPMS sensor? No light coming on to warn you? If a CEL light comes on-there is usually something wrong. So-you can drive around with a bad 02 sensor and pollute the air-the choice is yours. Is it minor? It depends on your philosophy.

the BEST safety system is a DRIVER that pays attention to DRIVING + stays OFF their CELL PHONE!!! we are all human + stuff happens BUT distracted driving is a MAJOR cause + of course big $$$$ telecomunications COULD fix by disabling phones at certain tines!!!

I think the idea is that if the car that rear-ended your girlfriend had all those same safety features, there would have been no accident and nobody would be out anything.

The value of the systems far outweigh the cost if they stop people from rear-ending one another.
As someone who's been rear ended 3 times, with a lifetime of spinal damage to match
I can't wait for the day where low speed AEB is flawless and ubiquitous

Maybe then they could work on AEB for motorcycles 😕

How expensive are these all these new fangled saftey features in cars nowdays?​

dr-evil-one-billion-dollars.gif

That's what the collision center is for. The offending vehicle was totaled, radiator was almost on top of the engine. My girlfriends muffler was torn loose and dragging on the ground. Back bumper was intact and panels had some puncture marks but that was it on the mazda. It almost looked as if the offending car went under rear of the Mazda.

I know the speed limit is 55mph on that road and there were barely any skidmarks leading upto the impact point. State trooper pointed out it was an ABS stop.
Under ride has been a problem since the proliferation of the SUV/CUV

I hope your GF is alright, and if the Mazda can't be fixed to original condition, let them total it and try again
No point keeping a car that'll never be the same again

Back