How does Redline D4 stack up against Asmoil ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ConfederateTyrant
Quote:
Redline simply does not have the resources to conduct such testing.

You sure about that? Please share some actual facts to back it up if you are.

And saying "they're a small company" doesn't prove it either.

If Redline had the resources, they would have a larger line-up and develop more cutting edge products. They would also conduct more independent testing of their products and publish the results like Amsoil does. Not to say that I am an Amsoil fan, but I truly believe that Amsoil does conduct more R&D for their products than Redline.

Which of the two would best match the spec of what BMW put in my 2001 5-speed manual (Getrag?) and improve shifting/protection? I want to change the fluid soon. Thanks..s

I'm using the Redline D4 in my 4L80E and I noticed the tranny doesn't quite run as hot as it used to with the Dex 3, but I looked at both Redline and Amsoil before I put synthetic in my tranny and chose the Redline because I just got the impression from Amsoil that their tranny fluid was a "catch all" type and Redline was more specific about its applications. IMHO, I just think Redline is one of the better oils out there.

*Dexron III
*Mercon
*Mercon V
*Toyota T-IV
*Honda Z-1
*Nissan Matic-J
*GL-4 Rated

I have used D-4 for years in many vehicles and love the stuff. It has proven to be a great alternative to Toyota T-IV ATF which in my opinion is total [censored]! Amsoil is also a top notch ATF,though I prefer redline and like that they offer more than a "one size fits all" for all of the different vehicles out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Quote:
Redline simply does not have the resources to conduct such testing.

You sure about that? Please share some actual facts to back it up if you are.

And saying "they're a small company" doesn't prove it either.

If Redline had the resources, they would have a larger line-up and develop more cutting edge products. They would also conduct more independent testing of their products and publish the results like Amsoil does. Not to say that I am an Amsoil fan, but I truly believe that Amsoil does conduct more R&D for their products than Redline.

If they had the resources and a larger product line????

Redline has a 100+ size line up.
Group V base PCMO in:0w20,0w30,0w40,5w20,5w30,5w40,10w30,10w40,15w40,15w50,20w50.
And they offer racing oil in: 2wt,5wt,10wt,20wt,30wt,40wt,50wt,60wt,70wt
They offer:
6 kinds of two stroke oil
4 kinds of four stroke motorcycle oil
14 Gear oils
4 Manual Transmission oils
8+ Automatic transmission oils
4 kinds of fuel additives
Also, there coolant additives, Grease, air tool oil, compressor oil, Power steering fluid, Engine break in additive, Kart clutch oil, Suspension fluids, ect. . . .
They have countless experience in the racing world.
They are the only company I know of that makes a PCMO with so many weights in a group V base stock.

Redline has the resources and they have the line-up.

Its a quality product, no questions about that. Price is high yes. What works better Amsoil or Redline? Unles we test it in a lab no one will know. I would feel VERY comfortable with either in my tranny.
But saying Redline dose not have the Resources, line-up, or "cutting edge products" is not a true statement.

Some of Redlines products are the bar setter.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
You are trying to argue with The Critic??????? Why waste your time?????

No I am not going to argue. I just wanted that info on this thread. That way if a new user comes on he does not take some ones view as a fact. I do not say Redline is the best company with R&D, and they have the best products, because that is not fact. I just wanted to throw there experience in the mix, showing we are both right. Redline is not large in the oil world, but they are no lemonaid stand either.

His view(critic I like YA) and my view may differ. No argument will result.
10.gif

Anyone care to count how many products Amsoil has?
wink.gif

The argument was not that Red Line has no resources, because clearly they have enough. The argument is just that Amsoil has more.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
wink.gif

The argument was not that Red Line has no resources, because clearly they have enough. The argument is just that Amsoil has more.

Ok but the quality of the products is the question here. Not there product count. So an arguement that Amsoil has more holds no relivance(spelling??).
What company makes more products has absolutly nothing to do with the quality of the products. Time-x makes more products, are they better than Rolex?

**Note I am not saying Amsoil is time-x and Redline is Rolex. I was just providing an example of my point.

Both make great, tried, and proven products.

Yes D4 is compatible with other transmission fluids.

Thanks, good to know.

Does anybody know who provides the additive package for Redline D4? I have always assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that it is Lubrizol for Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: dk1604
Does anybody know who provides the additive package for Redline D4? I have always assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that it is Lubrizol for Amsoil.

Amsoil ATF uses a custom additive package from Lubrizol. As for Redline, I'm pretty sure they are using Lubrizol's multi-vehicle package, but of course they wouldn't confirm. I would not be surprised if they were using this package:

http://www.lubrizol.com/products/ATF/docs/070355_SSH_LZ9684.pdf

Good info but, it states that it is for Group III ATF's which redline does not make? Maybe it was a generalized statement and this specific Lubrizol product would work with group IV & V ?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: dk1604

Amsoil ATF uses a custom additive package from Lubrizol. As for Redline, I'm pretty sure they are using Lubrizol's multi-vehicle package, but of course they wouldn't confirm. I would not be surprised if they were using this package:

http://www.lubrizol.com/products/ATF/docs/070355_SSH_LZ9684.pdf

I am curious who in Amsoil told you that Amsoil uses a Lubrizol additive package for their ATF. I am not saying they do or do not, just curious where you got that info from.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Good info but, it states that it is for Group III ATF's which redline does not make? Maybe it was a generalized statement and this specific Lubrizol product would work with group IV & V ?

You can use many different base oils with a specific additive package. Depending on the base oil used, the additive package would be tweaked slightly. The base oils they listed in that spec sheet is a "suggested recipe." It's kind of like a cookie recipe, you can adjust the ingredients or substitute other items and still get the same outcome.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
wink.gif

And Exxon-Mobil has more than all the boutique companies combined. But that doesn't mean their ATF is better than either of these two.

That's what I had figured was going on there, just wanted to check back as it was not implied as such in that document.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
And Exxon-Mobil has more than all the boutique companies combined. But that doesn't mean their ATF is better than either of these two.

I know. Just arguing the resources point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back