How do you answers from the oil manufacturers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend emailed Mobil and Amsoil to find out if their top syn oils are 100% group 4 or 5. Ok , they told him that they cannot give him that information!!

So how does a consumer find out and make the best decision on purchasing oil?

The base stock has little to do with making the "best decision" on purchasing oil. There never have been 100% Group IV or V oils in the first place. Base stock is a very minor concern, in fact. First, know what viscosity and specifications you require and consider a maintenance plan, and go from there.

I would suggest you'd have a very difficult time finding an oil that is primarily Group IV or V in an SN/GF-5 variety. So, if you're looking for an SN/GF-5 or a dexos1 licensed oil or something like that, you'll be stuck with a mix of base stocks at the very least.

Originally Posted By: Garak
The base stock has little to do with making the "best decision" on purchasing oil. There never have been 100% Group IV or V oils in the first place. Base stock is a very minor concern, in fact. First, know what viscosity and specifications you require and consider a maintenance plan, and go from there.

I would suggest you'd have a very difficult time finding an oil that is primarily Group IV or V in an SN/GF-5 variety. So, if you're looking for an SN/GF-5 or a dexos1 licensed oil or something like that, you'll be stuck with a mix of base stocks at the very least.

As for M1 oils, their's certainly is a blend of base stocks to give the kind of performance we need for the the various engines built today around the world. Grp 3-4-5 is not the same today as it once may have been because of the blending. Performance is what counts, not a grp #.

OK, but I know some members on here got answeres and info on the makeup and grouping of certain brands,,just curious ..

According to my manual all I need is the correct VI and API certificaiton.. sn,sl,sj and sm are disregarded..

Originally Posted By: tig1
As for M1 oils, their's certainly is a blend of base stocks to give the kind of performance we need for the the various engines built today around the world. Grp 3-4-5 is not the same today as it once may have been because of the blending. Performance is what counts, not a grp #.

Exactly. XOM (and others) do have certain primarily Group IV oils, but that's not because they think Group IV is best under all circumstances. It's simply what helps them get to their end result with the past of least resistance for that particular product.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
According to my manual all I need is the correct VI and API certificaiton.. sn,sl,sj and sm are disregarded..

I'm guessing you're talking about your 2001 Honda. I'm also guessing you meant viscosity when you said VI, and not Viscosity Index, which is what VI is, unless, of course, you really wanted to start a fight here.
wink.gif

Some oil companies do tell a bit more about their base stocks than others. When it comes to other oils, you can often make a decent guess based upon certain properties of the oil. Other times, another oil company spills the beans in one of their publications.

So, back to your Honda, if that's the topic at hand: Given the age of the vehicle and that it's certainly out of warranty, you have a little bit of freedom. If you're not having any problems running an ordinary 5w-30, there's no reason to change. If it were leaking or consuming oil, I'd consider a HM oil. Other than that, whatever has been done has kept this vehicle running since 2001, so no need to worry.

You have to think about the performance versus the cost - the difference in lubricant performance between Group III and Group IV oils for you normal passenger car are minimal and do not justify doubling the cost of the lubricant.

In reality, IC engines are about the toughest single piece of equipment to lubricate - and wreck any oil much faster than other applications. Think about your longest gasoline engine OCIs - 10k? 12k? Compare that to your differential. I'll pay 2x the cost for my differential fluid, because I would be lucky to use 3 gallons over the life of the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back