How do I measure the laundry powder?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
What is the solution?
Is there a reason why you're using powder instead of liquid detergent?

Mildew/Mildew smell. I do not want that mildew smell in my clothes or washer. Powder prevents this.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
What is the solution?
Is there a reason why you're using powder instead of liquid detergent?

Mildew/Mildew smell. I do not want that mildew smell in my clothes or washer. Powder prevents this.

I've never had that issue and I use liquid detergent exclusively. What I use those are the free and clear products. I don't want fabric softeners nor do I want bleach. Fabric softeners have a tendency to build up over time. This might be what you are smelling. Run a cycle with no clothes and use vinegar in the water. After the tub is filled, stop the process and let it sit for a while. Turn it back on and let it finish. Run another cycle with water only to clear out the vinegar.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
The only powder Ive use that works well with front loaders is the german Persil that Henkels makes- not he wal mart stuff.

I've seen that at the local appliance parts store, they carry it for Miele machines that work best with it. It's NLA as Persil since Henkel has the rights to the name in the US, but it's still available under Miele label for North America.

So I run into this issue with my FL Electrolux even using the 7th Generation Free & Clear and Eco's Free & Clear - have gotten a few oversuds errors and I think I have nailed down what causes it.

Even just filling the tray to the minimum mark I figured out that light loads and hot water exacerbate the sudsing. The over sudsing typically happened with light loads similar to yours (dog bed and a few rags) when using hot water, I tried warm to cold water and sudsing subsided drastically. When I run light loads I will go search out a few items to toss in to avoid the issue, if I need a hot water wash I will make sure its a medium to heavy load.

The drum will buildup all this excess soap in areas where you cannot see, after my last over suds experience it took 4 runs on the "clean washer" cycle to get all the excess soap out.

Sorry to activate this thread but not worth a new one for Q&A:
We no longer have a means to recycle plastic jugs …

Asking does anyone use detergent strips ?
There are several brands … small box does 30 loads etc … price varies a bunch

I haven't used powder in a long time because it seems like no matter what brand, it never completely dissolved, and this is in a TL machine. If I use pods, liquid only and I don't toss the clothes in until I see the pack has started to dissolve, otherwise, I use straight liquid.

As for the detergent strip question, haven't used them but I've seen a number of reviews that say they don't always dissolve completely either.

Got a FL Samsung. requires HE detergent.

I use Tide powder HE with the fresh crystals.

I always use the "lowest bar" on the scoop, extra rinse setting works great on most loads except the socks.

The socks I got to use the rinse setting 3 times, and still not all the soap is out. I even use half of the lowest recommended powder. I use medium spin(socks are wool)

What is the solution?
I just buy the hypoallergenic packets of liquid that come in the big white cookie jar with yellow lettering "FREE AND CLEAR" I think it;s called or something similar. Simple and effective.

In my experience powered laundry detergents made by Procter & Gamble suck at dissolving.
That could be your problem, even if you cant see it.
I've used the following P&G powder detergents: Tide with bleach, Gain and Cheer.

The solution is to buy Surf Sparkling Ocean powered laundry detergent available at Walmart.
It works/smells better than Tide unless your a slob who stains your clothes.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Surf-Sparkling-Ocean-Powder-Laundry-Detergent-52-oz/17248279
I always liked Surf. I used it in the 1980s. I didn’t know they still made it.

I have gone to the pods (Persil) as my wife will always put in 2x the amount needed of liquid or powder Too much detergent is worse than too little.
I don't like the pods for the reason that each laundry load can require a different amount of detergent. Greasy kitchen towels (or workshop clothes) can take more detergent than a smaller load of lightly soiled items.

What you want with any detergent is incipient sudsing but that's impossible to determine. So as little extra suds is the balance one is usually shooting for.

I don't like the pods for the reason that each laundry load can require a different amount of detergent. Greasy kitchen towels (or workshop clothes) can take more detergent than a smaller load of lightly soiled items.

What you want with any detergent is incipient sudsing but that's impossible to determine. So as little extra suds is the balance one is usually shooting for.
Maybe soon they will have pods and mini pods for small loads.

Laundry powder. Now there's a blast from the past. Last one I ever used came in one of those clear bottles similar to the ones they sell disHwasher detergent in. Can't even remember the name of it, but it didn't dissolve completely and I had to do the load again. Definitely switch to liquid. I even had a pod not completely dissolve when I first used one. They don't dissolve very quickly in ice-cold water. Now when I use one, I cut it in half with scissors under the water stream (top loader).

Back