How close to your start time do you arrive at work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Half hour to 45 minutes early. The boss is usually there already. Sometimes he want to talk work, no problem, that's what I'm there for. If nobody else is in, maybe I'll clean up the lab or our little engineering machine shop area, there's always something that can be straightened out. When the others arrive, coffee klatch time, 15 or so minutes. Usually mechanical stuff, often cars. Sometimes the conversation turns mildly work related and I try to share my experience with the younger guys (I hope I don't bore them, but they seem to be interested).

8:00 to 15:52 are my "hours", but been on a salary, with some flexitime for decades...I need the 15:17 is the most common knock-off time on the site, and I need that to 17:30-17:45 to get some actual work done, so my start times drift out to 8:15 to 8:20 60% of the time, but 7:30-7:45 if needed.

Max balance flex time is 70 hours...once over that, you get revved by H.R. weekly...I hit 70, then stop counting.

On a side note, traffic is SO much lighter at 6AM than at 7AM, it's worth it to me to get an early start just to avoid the nitwits in the heavier rush hour traffic a little later. My wife works in a large hospital, and their big AM shift change is at 7AM. 6:40 to 7:05 is NOT the time to be within several blocks of that nuthouse.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
On a side note, traffic is SO much lighter at 6AM than at 7AM, it's worth it to me to get an early start just to avoid the nitwits in the heavier rush hour traffic a little later. ...

When I worked 50 miles from home, If I left @ 5:45, I would get there by 6:30. If I left after 6, it would be 7:00 to 7:30 (and had to be at work by 7:30).

Office opens at 8, I am usually there by 7:30. With traffic, or if I have stuff to do, might be 8:30 on occasion. It all balances out.

I'm paid hourly, but my hours are weird and somewhat flexible.

I usually get there 15-30 minutes early. That gives me time to take a bathroom break, get a cup of coffee, and [censored] with whoever I happen to run into a bit.

At the same time, it's not unheard of for me to walk in the door and find out something needs urgent attention that only I can fix(or in some cases other people who could don't want to do it). When that happens, I go on the clock the second I walk in.

Also, there are a few days a week where I'm not scheduled to go to work until 11:30. On those days, it's not uncommon that something "urgent" comes up in the morning and I get a call or text about it. Per my supervisor, I'm allocated 15 minutes or the actual time(if longer than 15 minutes) to deal with each occurrence.

As a result of all of the above, I often end up accumulating OT hours. My standard week is 37.5 hours. I have an agreement that I don't need to ask to go up to 40 hours, but anything beyond that goes into time and a half and I have to get approval for that. Depending on the circumstances, I'll either leave early one or two days to keep my time below 40 hours, or just go ahead and get the time and a half. I can't make that decision on my own, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back