How big an oil stash is too big?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If hoarding brings peace and tranquility in ones life then it is a bargain no matter how you look at it
smile.gif

I am thinking about hoarding pp 10w30 before they tinker around with a great blend
smile.gif

Sometimes a stash of obsolete oils is preferable. I'd bet people wish they put away more Mobil 1 0w-40 before it was changed to FS. Some of the old German Castrol 0w-30 SL/SM is still some of the best oil ever made. Same for the previous versions of Pennz Ultra SL/SM.

Having more than a 1-2 year stash with changes coming due is probably too much for most. I recently dropped my 3 yr stash down to 1 yr. One's views of the "right" oil for your cars seems to change every couple of years. What I liked 2 yrs ago might not hold true today.

the issue isnt about what you have now, you csn justify it however you like. its what you do in the future.

say you have 3years worth of oil. are you still looking every week for more oil deals and the stash grows? or did that fulfill your need and you do something else with your time and mental energy and only start looking when you actually are down to say 1years stash?

maybe this will help you be truthful whether its the pleasurw of the deal rather than any justification.
there are several stories here where people hoard with 1 intention but end up not using the oil for 1 reason or another.

however that being said, hoarding motor oil is a relatively harmless activity so dont beat yourself over about it. if that's the only issue you got going on consider yourself lucky. if its negatively affecting your life even by stealing your time, then time to try to change.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I buy on oil I want, not just oil on sale. But I have been stocking up on CJ-4 oil for Powerstroke.

The oil I want is oil on sale.
smile.gif

I know what your saying though.
I was the deal at AZ for the Rotella T5 10w-30 2.5 gallon for $15 with a $12.50 rebate. Awesome deal, local AZ had some, but I only have one vehicle that I would use it in, and I have 3 changes for that one already (annual oil change).

Originally Posted By: raytseng
the issue isnt about what you have now, you csn justify it however you like. its what you do in the future.

say you have 3years worth of oil. are you still looking every week for more oil deals and the stash grows? or did that fulfill your need and you do something else with your time and mental energy and only start looking when you actually are down to say 1years stash?

maybe this will help you be truthful whether its the pleasurw of the deal rather than any justification.
there are several stories here where people hoard with 1 intention but end up not using the oil for 1 reason or another.

however that being said, hoarding motor oil is a relatively harmless activity so dont beat yourself over about it. if that's the only issue you got going on consider yourself lucky. if its negatively affecting your life even by stealing your time, then time to try to change.

I admit I still go to the deal section and look, but as I said above, if it is an oil I will use and is basically free, I may get it.
SN oil will suit my needs for at least a decade, since I will always have a vehicle in my fleet that will use it for probably the next 20 years.

The last part I what I totally agree with. I don't have a lot of hobbies that I spend a ton of money on, I like to tinker on vehicles, I have helped family and friends on occasion with oil changes that cost me almost nothing. How many people are into guns, hunting, sports, motorcycles, cars, and other such things that they spend tens of thousands on and are completely fine with that, yet get on others about what they may collect.
If it starts to consume you (as with anything), then you need to look for help.

I got a friend that has a stash of fireworks, it's seriously huge. So I don't think a stash of motor oil is strange, motor oil and fireworks are consumables.

I would buy what I need for the next oil change and use the remaining money to buy Chevron stock. CVX. Start collecting those nice dividends and they will soon be paying for your oil.

Max of two years worth of oil changes. Oil chemistry requirements change to met new challenges. You can end up with a lot of lawn mower oil if you go crazy with stash levels IMO. Ed

I would say that I think you have enough for the moment

Another sale will come along in the next year or two and if you feel the need, I am sure you will be able to add to the current stash at good price point

What is the REAL purpose of hoarding oil anyway? Cheap on sale, afraid it will not be produced any longer, or ???

We hear of sales here several times a year. Again, I think you are good for the moment

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
And I thought I was the deranged one. I have 142 quarts in four different weights. One day I'm sure I'll be donating some to my local indie shop.

Don't worry, you could both be considered deranged. There's no limit on the number of deranged people.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I suppose if you're loading up, you could also notify your friends and see if any of them need any.

Yeah, this is what I did. They appreciated it.

My fiance and I both drive about 20,000 miles a year, so I will use 15 jugs in 3 years on the Hyundai at 5K OCI. The OLM on my fiance's Dart will go off about every 6K so she'll use about 12 in 3 years. That will be almost all of it.

I also have two cases of the Miles Synblend on hand, but in 5w30 so that will only go in my car. That's another year's worth or so. I'm not sure I would have bought the Synblend had I realized the deal for the Havoline Pro DS Full Synthetic at O'Reillys.

But at any rate I am done buying oil for now. Thanks for the support.

It's not how much you have, but how do you store it and test it..
yes, test it:
-i have 3 jugs: 1 5w30 valvo high mileage syn blend, 1 5w30 valvo syn blend and 1 10w30 Quaker state syn blend
-they have been out (midwest weather, all 4 seasons, including winter) for the last 3 years

so , did i test their cold weather capabilities? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back