House buying opinions on houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are looking everywhere within a half hour of Sullivan. But living here all my life I've learned that pretty much this entire area is about the same.

Aren't there other homes to look at?

That home in Leasburg is strait out of the 1980's. The outdoor building looks like a pile of crap.
Being so called large with plenty of parking and you being under 30, don't be surprised if your wife or you end up with family or friend(s) that
end up living with you.

Originally Posted by ram_man
We are looking everywhere within a half hour of Sullivan. But living here all my life I've learned that pretty much this entire area is about the same.

What about Florida ?

Low taxes and houses are affordable.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
That home in Leasburg is strait out of the 1980's. The outdoor building looks like a pile of crap.
Being so called large with plenty of parking and you being under 30, don't be surprised if your wife or you end up with family or friend(s) that
end up living with you.

Sounds like they're going through the normal process with home buying. They focus on budget first, but the problem is that the cheap houses are typically cheap for a reason. Normally people end up increasing their budget a little bit to get a better home. Usually by spreading the word, sometimes it's possible that family members kick in a little extra so they can afford a better place. But it doesn't always happen so people end up looking forever and never end up getting anything or just watch the market get away from them. But who knows when the next recession is so maybe they'll get lucky.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

end up living with you.

How does it look straight out of the 1980s? This house wasn't even built in the 80s....... We would also never end up with family or friends living with us that's just absolutely not going to happen.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
What would you upgrade in the leasburg house on Frisco drive?

IDK without walking it, But, What going on with the unfinished wall in the woman's bedroom? Water damage or just ??

Yeah I have no idea. Going to figure that out tonight when we go and see it and I will report my findings. I'm fairly certain I would ask them to fix that. You can see if the owner has done a lot of woodwork upgrades and stuff. But I am not sure what the situation is.

The Saint Clair house looks too tiny to be functional. When you invite guests, will they have to sit outside?

Between the two, I like the Leasburg house better, but I'm not sure how I feel about all that wood. Wood can cause all sorts of issues if exposed to moisture or high humidity... deformation, bad smell, termites, etc. Plus it makes the whole house look more dated than it really is, but that's just my subjective opinion. I'm sure the current owners dig it.

Frisco house looks a lot like one my Parents had but is 6 years newer. If there is water damage check ceiling for signs of damage. If that is the original roof may need replacing in not so distant future. Regarding railroad tracks does not mean a lot. My parents where 50 yards from railroad tracks but rarely used. Now if it is very active that could be an issue. If I bought it the first thing would do is check all the fittings to the faucets and make sure they were properly secure. If this is made similar you have insulation under floor covered by heavy plastic. When you have a leak it looks a balloon. Not fun crawling around under house draining water from plastic. Down side is you a sitting duck during tornado season.

Almost $100 / sq ft for an unremarkable 800 sq ft house, built in 1957? To ask the question seems to answer it, at least in my mind.

The other is a double wide. The pros and cons of these were hashed out pretty thoroughly in your other thread.

For the price range which is 80,000 what would you expect? If we are being reasonable what does that but you? Obviously not a dream home ...‚

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
What's the story on the one at 880 S. Main in St Clare?

https://www.movoto.com/saint-clair-mo/880-s-main-saint-clair-mo-63077-691_19060647/for-sale/

This is the one that I'd be looking at, in that price range.

If you'd need a bigger house in the future, some of the garage could become a quick and fairly cheap 3rd bedroom.

We are seeing that one tonight as well. My issue with it is the real estate company/agent it's listed with is known to be a slum Lord slimy kind of guy. Very crooked. The exact area it's in also isn't as nice.

880 main Street will not go FHA or USDA or va and the seller isn't interested in fixing it so that's a hard pass.
The leasburg house on Frisco I do not think will go FHA they have it listed but the foundation is questionable. It's ply wood all the way around the bottom with a 2x4 or similar bottom. Couldn't see underneath the house though. There is a couple places where bare wall studs are showing . The counter tops are ply wood which is a slight bit ridiculous. A few holes in walls and where the dry wall is missing there is some electrical showing. It's all fixable. But this place screams (I start jobs and never finish anything).
The Virgina Ave in St Clair is a little small but the basement is excellent. Nice big yard love the back deck. The house needs completely updated . Paint floors counter tops, windows are old wood single pane, roof is 19yrs old ECT. But the house does seem sturdy and structurally sound. Furnace is a newer high efficiency unit. Ac is older water heater was 10yrs old. The clay Sewer pipes have been replaced and the water pipe to the meter is brand new as well. So it has some good things about it.
What do you guys think about it or things I should consider.
I imagine fully updating would not be very cheap I'd do most the work myself though to save some.

When I sold the double wide had to have structural inspection in order to sell it. My Parents did it right. Poured concrete pads before it was set up. I can tell you right now you are going to have a lot of spiders, etc behind that skirt. I can't keep track of the number of times I had to crawl through that mess to fix plumbing leaks. Based on what you saw I would pass on the double wide for now.

Basement has advantages and drawbacks. A place to go to during Tornado. Also a place for moisture to get through foundation. Foundations crack and may need expensive repairs. Mildew can be an issue.

We went and looked at
1670 elmont Sullivan mo again.
This time we really looked at it. Found the crawl space and the underneath of the house looked good .
I couldn't locate what exactly caused the driveway issue. I will say my grandparents house driveway did about the same thing. I remember them saying it did it because the ground settled and the concrete wasn't of great quality.
The roof looks good some previously commented on the roof looking weird. I'm pretty sure they added the garage and the way they did the flashing makes it looked kinda odd. Once you see it in person it make sense. But the roof itself looks decent even went in the attic and it looked good. The big windows in the living room need repaired they don't stay up the casing is cracked as well. The front door needs a seal on the bottom the shower knob feels kinda worn and loose as well. Overall though the house seems solid and ok.

Is that to rent? Sounds pricey as an 80K house would be under $500/ mo. to own.

Looks pretty decent from here though
smile.gif

It was for sale but then they took it down and did for rent but they're still willing to sell it if we are interested.

I also agree 800 a month is steep for around here. It should be no more than 600 in my opinion.

We put in an offer tonight on the house on Elmont in Sullivan.

To rent or buy? Looks like someone just put a lot of nice updates into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back