Horsepower: Do you really use yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I think the only real downside to the metric system is using liters as a unit for gas pricing. Gas went up 20% overnight for the initial switch over. Also for years we would pay the same difference price per grade of gas as the US, but of course a gallon is 3.78L, so and would be paying almost 30% more for higher octane...
If the US does switch over to metric at some point, lobby for gas to be priced by the decaliter(10 liters), then the price games draw more attention.

thumbsup2.gif
Agreed.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
Did not read the whole thread, so apologies if repeating an earlier post. I think a far more useful metric that would inform prospective customers would be a minimum/maximum torque valve from 1,500 - 3,500 rpm. This would tell you much more about the driving experience, than the outdated max HP number.

True ... But most people who care about the power curve will do some research before buying, and it doesn't take long for those curves to show up on the internet.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The USA was planning to go to the SI system many decades ago, but I think it was too "locked in to" the system it has always used. Still is IMO.

Nothing's locked in. In Canada, we were just as tied to the Imperial system of units, and not only had to worry about the rest of the world being metric, but the U.S. using U.S. gallons versus Imperial gallons, and so forth. Despite the fact that we've changed, we haven't gotten rid of two-by-fours, or fasteners based upon the old system (any more than the U.S. lacks metric fasteners).

As for signs and gas pumps, both are easy. Sign life isn't all the long, when you think about it. Replace as needed. They don't need to be done overnight. As for gas pumps, they're all electronic these days, and converting units for them is trivial. Water meters, gas meters, and so forth just get replaced as time passes, with new construction or when smart meters are installed or updated. My house had an Imperial natural gas meter and water meter for many, many, many years after official metric conversion.

02SE: With respect to road networks and size, Saskatchewan has the most roads in any jurisdiction in North America, with a population of 1 million people. As long as no one expects signs to be replaced overnight, or recent "old" signs be replaced before reasonable, there's no problem. I was learning metric in elementary school and undergoing the switch over, and none of it was anything close to instant. There were no mountains of discarded signs, or trainloads full of natural gas meters heading to the junk yard.

Overkill is quite right. Things took many years to change, and the old system hasn't exactly just disappeared. Fresh meat labels, for instance, have price per pound and per kilogram. That's trivial for computerised labels. Signs were replaced as needed, not just magically by some due date.

With the mention of replacing signs piecemeal, that works well. The new signs, here at least, got marked explicitly with kilometres, and eventually, the kilometre notation was phased out, too, since by years and years later, the units were redundant. Heck, in this province, when we used to have Imperial units, speed limits on some highways were different at night than in the day.

We had different day & night speed limits a while back in Texas as well, and different speed limits for semi trucks and buses vs. individual cars and pickup trucks. But that's gone the way of the forced-down-our-throats 55 MPH rural speed limit. Our speed limit signs have changed 3 times I can think of in the past 20 years in Texas along the interstate highways, and at least once along more rural two lane roads.

Our water meter measures in gallons even though we get billed in hundred cubic feet.

I've worked in US units since gfinishing my degree, so when asked for the value of R, 10.73 is the number that immediately comes to mind, absolute temperatures are °R, M is one thousand, MM is one million so I do have to stop & think when dealing with metric units but it's not a huge deal.

Last edited:
We lost 4x2, but only relatively recently.

It's 90mmx45mm (4050mm^2 cross section), versus 101.6x50.8 (5161mm^2).

That's not metrification, tat's scamming.

I remember MPH speed signs as a kid. my 1973 car had MPH, my 1974 car had both, my 1979 car had km exclusively.

My 1976 MY car was my first to show kph as well as mph, and they've been that way ever since
When I rent a vehicle in the Dutch Caribbean for example it may be a Chevy Colorado truck with kph only, built in Brazil. My rental car in Germany was an Audi A3 with kph only.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow

I remember MPH speed signs as a kid. my 1973 car had MPH, my 1974 car had both, my 1979 car had km exclusively.

We still use 4'x8' sheeting here and so wood construction is usually done on 16" centers, and I think most home construction is still done with imperial measurements. All our institutional construction plans now use mostly metric dimensions though, but often with imperial dimensions shown as well.

You're getting more wood than we are. Our nominal 2x4's have been 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 (3387mm^2) for as long as I can remember.

Subdued MPH markings are still the norm here, and the digital dashes I've come across could be switched.

Borrowed BIL's 2Kish Sierra Old man's K 20 tow vehicle and loaded it its 6' bed even with the rails with used 6x6 land scape timbers. 2 50 mile round trips. It has a tow pkge. I'm guessing 3.56 or better gears rolling on new Yokohama 265 75 16s. I was driving Miss Daisy trying to save gas. Even so, driving empty, it would creep up 70 doing 2200 rpm. I also kept my return trip speed down by taking a scenic route with a 35-45 mph limits. It took less than 10$ of 2.72.9 Speedway reg'lar to shut the pump off. So, I was using very little of the 400 ci ? SBC

Maybe not all of it for an extended time, but I've occasionally done some max acceleration attempts on my WRX. Sometimes up to the point where the rev limiter cuts off. I've also done that with my '95 Integra GS-R. Fuel cutoff is supposedly at 8100 RPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back