Hood gasket

What is the purpose of the leading edge rubber seal under the hood? Mine was damaged/removed and am unsure whether to replace. I'm of the general opinion that a manufacturer won't spend a dollar unless warranted...?

It's to seal it off off aerodynamics. I removed the one on the rear edge by the cowl for perceived cooling effect on my Gen Coupe.

Year, make and model will help us visualize.

Cutting airflow into nooks and crannies is a big deal for aerodynamics. Maybe that's it.
Your gasket might be to halt rain incursion.
I've seen full hood width gaskets on the trailing edge on many cars.
Maybe the wind at speed pushes rain under the hood from behind?

It can also increase air flow through the radiator by reducing the air pressure under the hood. My old Merkur had a small flap hanging below a front crossmember. It was only about 4 inches wide and stretched across the entire width of the car. They were also prone to damage from road debris.
If that flap was not in place, the turbo would overheat due to reduced air flow.

It was my understanding that it is part of controlling engine temperature, to optimize efficiency for emissions and fuel economy. The engine bay on my E350 not only has the rubber gasket on the leading edge on the inside of the hood, but also has rubber gasket seals on the sides and rear of the engine bay. Then of course it is sealed underneath with plastic panels.

I recall reading somewhere that by sealing off the engine bay, so airflow is mostly controlled and limited, to that which flows through the radiator, engine operating temperature can be more precisely controlled. By controlling the engine operating temperature, it can operate much more efficiently, reducing emissions and improving fuel economy.

It can also increase air flow through the radiator by reducing the air pressure under the hood. My old Merkur had a small flap hanging below a front crossmember. It was only about 4 inches wide and stretched across the entire width of the car. They were also prone to damage from road debris.
If that flap was not in place, the turbo would overheat due to reduced air flow.
I don't think we are thinking the same part. This attaches to bottom of hood.

It was my understanding that it is part of controlling engine temperature, to optimize efficiency for emissions and fuel economy. The engine bay on my E350 not only has the rubber gasket on the leading edge on the inside of the hood, but also has rubber gasket seals on the sides and rear of the engine bay. Then of course it is sealed underneath with plastic panels.

I recall reading somewhere that by sealing off the engine bay, so airflow is mostly controlled and limited, to that which flows through the radiator, engine operating temperature can be more precisely controlled. By controlling the engine operating temperature, it can operate much more efficiently, reducing emissions and improving fuel economy.
This engine only takes 6L or coolant total.

I don't think we are thinking the same part. This attaches to bottom of hood.
At the base of windshield or at the front of the hood? The cabin air intake is behind the rear hood seal at the base of the windshield and that one I would probably replace as it helps keep engine odors out of the car. The front one, could be raising or lowering underhood temps or just helping aero dynamics a tiny bit? Probably doesn't matter much with most cars.

At the base of windshield or at the front of the hood? The cabin air intake is behind the rear hood seal at the base of the windshield and that one I would probably replace as it helps keep engine odors out of the car. The front one, could be raising or lowering under hood temps or just helping aero dynamics a tiny bit? Probably doesn't matter much with most cars.
1728c90ac536690bad06efdb1a707e32.jpg
Number 6 or 8 not sure.

One of the old school mods is to raise the back of the hood with spacers. A gap there would hinder aerodynamics but lead to cooler underhood temps. At speed the flow would probably be down past the firewall (NASCAR air intake) as the windshield base is a slightly high pressure area, but slow speeds the heat would rise.

Back