Honda Sued Over Mileage Claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the related press it seems easier/cheaper to simply settle out with this person. Not sure how much it would cost them as this former corporate lawyer is tenacious.

So I officially get better mpg with a 15 year old Honda than she does with the "eco" friendly hybrid, Lol...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: article
Peters said that her car never delivered "more than 41 or 42 mpg on its very best day," adding that the mileage normally came in around the high 30s.

She said she became really "ticked off" last year when Honda performed a software update to prevent vehicle batteries from deteriorating too quickly. The car's mileage suffered as a result of the battery fix, Peters said, dropping to the high 20s, which eventually forced her to take legal matters into her own hands.

High 20s!... with a hybrid!!... I'd be ticked off as well.

Wonder what she's claiming in "damages", as that's all she'll get if she wins anyway. Her website has nothing, other than the trial is at 1:30p today PST, so the verdict will be a filler piece on the news tonight.

My '12 Fit is only getting 34 avereage which is not too good considering Our 800lb HEAVIER forester AWD SUV gets over 30 Average. Hopfully things will improve with 1000 more miles and an Oil change. Our previous 08 Yaris got near 40 average its first two years and It be flogged like a rented (insert HERE what you would like to flog as a rented thingy).

I wonder if this will even go anywhere. I can drive a hybrid like a rental car and average 17mpg (i did so while on vacation, renting a Toyota Prius)

My parents later drove it for the remainder of the vacation (while i left back home) and told me they averaged 40 and some change MPG driving it normally.

The same goes for Peters, although the new software update that Honda did which results in worse fuel economy might just be the deal breaker here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
My '12 Fit is only getting 34 avereage which is not too good considering Our 800lb HEAVIER forester AWD SUV gets over 30 Average. Hopfully things will improve with 1000 more miles and an Oil change. Our previous 08 Yaris got near 40 average its first two years and It be flogged like a rented (insert HERE what you would like to flog as a rented thingy).

The Fit is only rated at 28 city, 35 highway. What did you expect when you bought it? The car is dramatically under-geared. Until the resolve that, the only people consistently getting >40mpg will be the ecomodder guys turning off their engines downhill, drafting semis and pushing their cars through parking lots. It'll probably get better after break-in, but not by much.

On the other hand, you seem to have the highest MPG Forester in existence!
http://www.fuelly.com/car/subaru/forester/2011

Originally Posted By: Kestas
....High 20s!... with a hybrid!!... I'd be ticked off as well.
No kidding. My Sonata does that on a normal day. Heck, I even get low-20's with my Dakota, albeit on the highway, but it does happen.

my parents had a hybrid civic that got over 50mpg IIRC; they hated everything about the car except the mileage.
Dad's got a '06 toyota highlander hybrid now; dash readout was showing 26mpg on a long roadtrip we just took (w/ a roof box)
saturn SOHC cars were getting 40mpg hwy 20 years ago!
I had a '86 GTI that would get over 42mpg!

this all doesn't really mean anything to the topic just thought I'd share
smile.gif

anyway, people will have to realize that they THEMSELVES are a big part of the mpg equation.
but 'hybrid' marketing is its own worst enemy.

I'd rather buy a brand new 86 VW Golf GTI or a similar year Civic CRX or HB than ANY new car today.

Cars were better then, less expensive, less complicated, generally cheaper to maintain and repair, and still had fairly modern levels of quality if not better quality and refinement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: article
Peters said that her car never delivered "more than 41 or 42 mpg on its very best day," adding that the mileage normally came in around the high 30s.

She said she became really "ticked off" last year when Honda performed a software update to prevent vehicle batteries from deteriorating too quickly. The car's mileage suffered as a result of the battery fix, Peters said, dropping to the high 20s, which eventually forced her to take legal matters into her own hands.

High 20s!... with a hybrid!!... I'd be ticked off as well.

That IS bad. I get 28mpg on the highway with my 28 year old, 400k mile V6 Honda.

i suppose i need to give money back to honda...i get as high as 40 mpg on my integra that's rated for 31mpg highway.

seriously, its all in how you drive and the type of driving you do.

With low torque engines, the driver can do one of two things: a) accept how slow it is and press the pedal normally, b) floor it everywhere to manage regular acceleration and keep up with traffic. Older people; women tend to fall into group A, everyone else, group B. Now Honda includes an "Eco" function in some models, which basically forces the engine to be slow, no matter what you do with the pedal. That's kind of a crutch IMO.

I get a 'bad' 36 MPG with my VX and that's with the thing not even 100% up to snuff and 260,000 miles on the engine.

It would sure make some sweet press for GM to give this tormented lady a free cruze so she can enjoy some nice gas mileage.

Originally Posted By: JOD

On the other hand, you seem to have the highest MPG Forester in existence!
Not a Fluke - our '09 (with VETEC variation running mainly One intake valve on low cam) easily got over 30 mpg long term average. I can take a photo of the DIC readout LTA if you want
smile.gif
The Yaris was only rated 36 highway MPG also, but it had tall gears and a wideband Lambda Yamaha engine which appear more efficient and smoother than the kludge-y honda. I do like the Honda sping-loaded/racheting TC tensioner vs the 'Yota hydraulic tensioned unit. No Cold Start grinding under the TC front cover here. The Honda VETEC-E 1.5L variation sold stateside is not a hyper economy engine VTEC implementation. It runs the traditional Jekyl/Hyde profile split on both intakes and doesnt completely idle one intake valve at low rpm for swirl as on some Euro variations.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The Honda VETEC-E 1.5L variation sold stateside is not a hyper economy engine VTEC implementation. It runs the traditional Jekyl/Hyde profile split on both intakes and doesnt completely idle one intake valve at low rpm for swirl as on some Euro variations.
NO! Dr. Hyde, The L15A sold stateside uses a 2 rocker SOHC intake with lost motion on one inlet and the VTEC pin engaging the other inlet valve at ~3500 rpm - you dumbo! I do understand the confusion though givenm the many L-engine variations sold around the Word including a 1.3L direct injection 8V with twin plugs. - Dr. Joke-L.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back