Honda Passport AWD Elite Review and Off-Road Tests

It's quite capable. The Honda AWD system is really good. And it's no longer an Izuzu lol.

It's quite capable. The Honda AWD system is really good. And it's no longer an Izuzu lol.

None of the terrain I saw on that video seemed particularly challenging. I suspect it ran highway H/T type tires and saw pretty flat terrain with at worse some mud.

They said it was $43-50k. For a two row, FWD based SUV. Seriously?!? So lose what marginal utilitarianism of a three row SUV, and still pay that kind of money?!? I’m just not getting it.

They also said that while other suvs apply the brake to manage traction, this one manages power. Ive observed CRVs burning up rear brakes to do what he noted, in snow and ice conditions.... but it’s not clear to me how they individually manage torque to all four wheels without electric motors, a pair of LSDs, or use of brakes. He wasn’t clear.

At least the Isuzu had a real transfer case and Dana axles. I’d be more confident using the Isuzu in any real off roading then this. And I’m sure the fuel economy of this Won’t be anything to write home about. The Honda 3.5 can be nursed to be fairly efficient when going slow, but economy drops fast if used in town or too fast on the highway.

I just picked up a 2020 passport exl. It’s nicely equipped and was well under 40k. I looked at the pilot, and while nice, it was too close to a mini van for me.

I don’t plan on off reading, but I do hear these things are wonderful in the snow. I’ll probably get somewhat more aggressive tires when the time comes, as the stock tires are ok at best.

Mpg thus far has been good, all things considered. I can touch 30 on the highway, clipping along pretty good. City isn’t great, but better than something like a V6 VW atlas sport cross for sure.

Drives very nice, and there is still something about the Honda J series. It’s got plenty of power, it’s quiet, and it just sounds mean when you get on it. It should be a reliable powertrain as well.

I just picked up a 2020 passport exl. It’s nicely equipped and was well under 40k. I looked at the pilot, and while nice, it was too close to a mini van for me.

I don’t plan on off reading, but I do hear these things are wonderful in the snow. I’ll probably get somewhat more aggressive tires when the time comes, as the stock tires are ok at best.

Mpg thus far has been good, all things considered. I can touch 30 on the highway, clipping along pretty good. City isn’t great, but better than something like a V6 VW atlas sport cross for sure.

Drives very nice, and there is still something about the Honda J series. It’s got plenty of power, it’s quiet, and it just sounds mean when you get on it. It should be a reliable powertrain as well.

I think it's a nice option. It's not designed as a rock crawler, but with it's AWD system that has true torque vectoring, a reliable 3.5 V6 putting out 280hp and a 9 speed AT, it's very capable in bad weather and moderate trails.

Few SUV/CUVs are designed to be Jeep beaters. They are meant to bridge the gap between bad weather and moderate off-road trails. And the Honda AWD excels. I think it's a great choice.

Car and Drive had the Passport at #4 among all mid-size crossovers.

"4. Honda Passport
Creating the Passport must've been easy for Honda: It simply took the three-row Pilot and chopped some bodywork off its butt while removing the third-row seat. The result is a sort of Pilot-lite, with the same mechanicals but only two rows of seating, unique rear-end styling, and a more adventurous image (at least, that’s what Honda’s marketers are pushing). In reality, the Passport is an appealing two-row SUV that’s worth a look if you’re shopping for stuff like a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Edge, or Nissan Murano."

They also said that while other suvs apply the brake to manage traction, this one manages power. Ive observed CRVs burning up rear brakes to do what he noted, in snow and ice conditions.... but it’s not clear to me how they individually manage torque to all four wheels without electric motors, a pair of LSDs, or use of brakes. He wasn’t clear.

According to Digital Trends it's a clutch-type:
Honda’s i-VTM4 system uses electro-hydraulically actuated clutches at each rear wheel to regulate the amount of power reaching each wheel.

I think it's a nice option. It's not designed as a rock crawler, but with it's AWD system that has true torque vectoring, a reliable 3.5 V6 putting out 280hp and a 9 speed AT, it's very capable in bad weather and moderate trails.

Few SUV/CUVs are designed to be Jeep beaters. They are meant to bridge the gap between bad weather and moderate off-road trails. And the Honda AWD excels. I think it's a great choice.

Throw a set of k2so's on it and it performs even better - some of the prerunner guys have been amazed by it.

Last edited:
None of the terrain I saw on that video seemed particularly challenging. I suspect it ran highway H/T type tires and saw pretty flat terrain with at worse some mud.

They said it was $43-50k. For a two row, FWD based SUV. Seriously?!? So lose what marginal utilitarianism of a three row SUV, and still pay that kind of money?!? I’m just not getting it.

At least the Isuzu had a real transfer case and Dana axles. I’d be more confident using the Isuzu in any real off roading then this. And I’m sure the fuel economy of this Won’t be anything to write home about. The Honda 3.5 can be nursed to be fairly efficient when going slow, but economy drops fast if used in town or too fast on the highway.

What do you consider good mileage for a 3.5 liter vehicle this size at 70/ 75 or 80?

What do you consider good mileage for a 3.5 liter vehicle this size at 70/ 75 or 80?

From the Honda site, this thing is rated 19/24 (others are rated 20/25). Our Odyssey is rated at 19/28, and will return 28 if one is very careful driving 65-70 mph. Above that and it drops quick.

Which to me says that this thing will return about 20 at speeds you speak of. I can’t see how anyone thinks that’s “good” in 2020, considering this isnt even a truck, doesn’t even have a third row or real utilitarian features. The pilot gets 20/27... So I just don’t get it.

Last edited:
The Odyssey isnt AWD, but it punches a pretty big hole in the air for sure.

My AWD Ridgeline beats its EPA sticker pretty handily.
Heres 70, 75 and 80 (1000 mile trip was between 75 and 80)
I make this from from Nor Cal to So cal all the time. I'm completely thrilled with its mileage.

I dont know if it's more or less aerodynamic than the passport ?

IMG_0824.jpeg
IMG_0838.jpeg
IMG_0834.jpeg

Passport does 0-60 in 5.8-6.0 seconds, one of the best AWD systems, and 8.1"'s of ground clearance.

If there is one knock on the Passport that I have heard about to date it is issues with the 9-speed auto transmission.

Reliability? I've read that they improved the programing of it and it's much more seamless compared to the Pilot/Ridgeline.

It’s not a reliability issue with the trans as much as some programming issues. Well, I would say there were programming issues. Thus far, while I don’t love it as much as the 10 speed in my accord, I really can’t complain at all about the 9 speed. Crisp shifts when you want them, imperceptible in normal driving.

These are cool looking but if one was to buy it for offroad use i would much rather be in a Jeep grand cherokee. ZF8, rear wheel drive 4x4, vastly better than a front wheel drive biased all wheel setup.

For mostly street and occasional dirt use i bet the Honda is less trouble over the long haul.

These are cool looking but if one was to buy it for offroad use i would much rather be in a Jeep grand cherokee. ZF8, rear wheel drive 4x4, vastly better than a front wheel drive biased all wheel setup.

For mostly street and occasional dirt use i bet the Honda is less trouble over the long haul.

For strict off-road use a 4x4 with a locker is preferable to an AWD setup with clutching for sure. Add a low range and its even better.

Cant speak for the pilot or passport, but the Ridgeline is RWD biased with the rears being overdriven 3% continually which is absorbed by the clutches until called for.

For on road driving my preference flips back to AWD for rain, snow, and slick conditions.

I solve this by taking my titan on any serious off-roading excursion and pay the price in handling and ride and mileage on the way to and from the trails.

Which do I pick for the 10 mile run up the mountain to the office, or the level 1-2 trails, or a 1K road trip to LA and back? - The Ridgeline gets that nod.

Towing up to 5K - the ridge - Id rather tow with the ridge at max than the titan at half because of the ride - in cali you have to tow in the right lane and its really beat up- a half ton body on frame truck will jar your fillings loose even with bilstein shocks. It will also get better mileage than the v8 truck with both towing 5K.

Hauling 1.5K in the bed - the ridge

Back