Honda oil spec in the US vs everywhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me know how to delete the thread then. I guess there's no point to new threads at all on any message board since everything has been covered at one time or another.
Don't delete it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a topic being repeated over and over as new members show up all the time. The only folks who seem to get hurt feelings are those with a lot of posts. Those who don't like it or approve can ignore it. ;)

Right now there is a battle brewing on a Honda FB page regarding oil viscosity. In the US Honda specifies 0w20 in the owners manual. In the middle east the same engine has a very different recommendation as shown.

My argument is that Honda in the US specifies 0w20 to help CAFE numbers and nothing else. They less concerned about the longevity of the engine as they only need it to last until the end of the 60k warranty and then it isn't there problem.

Some are arguing that the middle east can get away with heavier oil because of the hotter climate. As you can see in the photo 5w30 covers are broad range of temperature.

What are your thoughts on this? Is Honda only concerned about CAFE when the specify a 0w20 here? View attachment 86882
I agree with you that -20(or -16) is for CAFE. Mostly. A large % of vehicles are grocery getters and never run hard so a -20 is sufficient. On the other hand, lots of Honda vehicles have run just fine since the 90s on a 20 grade oil.

Go have a look at the Penrite Australia oil recommendations, where they're more concerned with vehicles lasting; different specifications than US.

Don't delete it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a topic being repeated over and over as new members show up all the time. The only folks who seem to get hurt feelings are those with a lot of posts. Those who don't like it or approve can ignore it. ;)
Im just trying to help the guy hit his 20k milestone... lol

Its a valid topic to most folks it seems like. If someone been here so long they are seeing so many repeats its harming them in some way.... maybe they need the classic "time out."

I agree with you that -20(or -16) is for CAFE. Mostly. A large % of vehicles are grocery getters and never run hard so a -20 is sufficient. On the other hand, lots of Honda vehicles have run just fine since the 90s on a 20 grade oil.

Go have a look at the Penrite Australia oil recommendations, where they're more concerned with vehicles lasting; different specifications than US.
I wouldn't say I run mine "hard". Its my A to B work commuter. However I do like to spool the wind machine a bit and run it through the gears from time to time.

Its a valid topic to most folks it seems like. If someone been here so long they are seeing so many repeats its harming them in some way.... maybe they need the classic "time out."
Ive look at a few of his replies on various threads. Arrogant is the vibe I get. Oh well.

Right now there is a battle brewing on a Honda FB page regarding oil viscosity. In the US Honda specifies 0w20 in the owners manual. In the middle east the same engine has a very different recommendation as shown.

My argument is that Honda in the US specifies 0w20 to help CAFE numbers and nothing else. They less concerned about the longevity of the engine as they only need it to last until the end of the 60k warranty and then it isn't there problem.

Some are arguing that the middle east can get away with heavier oil because of the hotter climate. As you can see in the photo 5w30 covers are broad range of temperature.

What are your thoughts on this? Is Honda only concerned about CAFE when the specify a 0w20 here? View attachment 86882
Let me welcome you to BITOG, trash.

Rites of initiation...trolls can be a problem...no oil bull around here.

Please tell FB I use state-of-the art 0W8 in a Honda spec'd for 0W20 'round here.

There was a member here (can't remember who) many years ago that destroyed a 20W-50 spec 80s or 90s era Jag within a very short time by experimenting with 0W-20.

I know someone who ran 0w20 in a Subaru STi engine and it destroyed their main bearings. They honestly thought it would be okay because of the PAO content of the oil. Now I didn't ask but I have a strange suspicion that they had probably been reading a little too much into what some people say here on ole'BITOG 🥴

Check the OCI you may find that more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back