honda oem oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
according to this post from honda-tech the made in japan oem honda filters are available in the US:

quote:

15400-PR3-004 and 15400-PR3-014 are all discontinued in the US.
They are all replaced by 15400-P0H-305 or 15400-PT7-005 with the P0H being the newest and superseding the PT7.

The PT7 is made in Canada and the P0H is made in Japan. We use these oil filters interchangeably and notice no difference. They both have the oil seals in them.

Oilcanboyd, I am not sure if this guy is correct. I know that the 15400-P0H-305 is currently being made by Filtech Inc here in the states. Filtech is a division of Toyo Roki, which makes the Japanese filter. If you find out more info, let us know. Thanks, Joe

[ March 08, 2003, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

I have a Honda filter in front of me that is labeled 15400-POH-305 and says MADE IN USA. I also have some Canadian filters, the number you show is correct.

A direct quote from Honda's owner's link;

"Foreign materials such as dirt, corrosion, and carbon can contaminate fluids in your engine's fuel and lubrication systems and make parts wear much faster. Your Honda's air, fuel, and oil filters trap even the tiniest particles that would otherwise circulate to the engine, wear out seals and bearings, and clog fuel injectors.

Yep, that's right... the Honda filter stops EVERYTHING
worshippy.gif

now im confused about which part numbers correspond to which oem filter.

so here the link to honda tech. please help that would be great if the made in japan filter is available in the us.

Nobody's proven to me that the made in north america filters have performance limitations to be concerned about.

I will keep buying them at $4 a pop, trusting they meet Honda's operating parameters.

Just because they are manufactured by fram/filtech, and have a construction that "seems" inferior, that doesn't mean they perform any less than a heavier construction, or are subject to failure when used for the proper interval.

Oilcanboyd, here are the part numbers:

Honda (Canada) 15400-PT7-005 - Fram
Honda (Japan) 15400-PR3-014 - Toyo Roki
Honda (USA) 15400-P0H-305 - Filtech USA
HAMP (Japan) H1540-PR3-408 -? can't read Japanse
The guy at the dealer must have imported the Japanese filters somehow. I called my friend at the Acura Dealership, and he said that the Japanese number is a good number, but he cannot get them. The link mentions that the Japanese part number has been discontinued as well. If you look at the NTPOG oil filter study:

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

they mention the HAMP filter, which is also made in Japan. The author of the study mentions that the filter is very well built. I ordered a few of these, and plan on installing one next oil change. I have cut one open, and it looks very well constructed. They are are over the internet, but if you want the source where I get them, let me know. -Joe

[ March 08, 2003, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

how much is it?? on that site there is an oem japanese oil filter for the honda..i think its called VIC...if its better than bosch and cheaper haha ill go for it!

S2000driver, I agree no one has demostrated that the North American made OEM Honda or Toyota filters compromise the durability of Honda or Toyota engines in any.

To the contrary, my troublefree Toyota pickup with 418,670 miles using OEM Toyota filters made to Toyota specs by Purolator, has convinced me these filters are doing a great job. I still have minimal oil consumption and no loss of engine compression after the equivalent of driving 19 times around the world!

cryptokid, about a year ago I cut open the Purolator Pure One, Purolator Premium Plus and Toyota pickup OEM filter that is made by Purolator. I photographed and weighed the parts. The things I remember are:

1. Toyota OEM filter shell was same size and the Pure One but weighed 24% more on account the filter shell was thicker metal.

2. There was differences in the number of filter pleats.

3. There were differences in the filter mounting 0-ring seal design.

There were many other differences but my memory is hazy. The take home lesson was the Toyota OEM filter made by Purolator was not merely a rebadged existing Purolator filter. It was made to Toyota specs by Purolator.

A while back I mentioned that I knew 4 Toyota pickup owners (in addition to myself) that had gone over 400,000 miles without an engine overhaul or valve job. All but one of these owners used OEM Toyota oil filters. The sole exception used - hold on to your hat - had used the cheapest model Fram. So I would not lose sleep over the fact Honda contracted Fram to build some of its filters to Honda specs.

Theoretical durability is one thing, real world durability is another. In the real world Toyota's and Hondas routinely hit 300-400,000 miles even using cheapo filters (my '86 Corolla went to 394,000 on the cheapest Frams* then was totalled in a traffic accident) and dino oils. How do I know? Well just visit auto wrecking yards on a regular basis and take note of all the monster mileage Honda/Toyotas & Nissans you'll see. A sizable number of these cars were totalled due to traffic collisions, not because their powertrains were worn out.

*In the 80's I was not aware of the importance of using OEM parts, fluids and filters for maxium durability so that's why I was using the Frams back then

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
how much is it?? on that site there is an oem japanese oil filter for the honda..i think its called VIC...if its better than bosch and cheaper haha ill go for it!

im going to correct myslef...hahah VIC is the worst...i was on some other site that did analysis on this filter, its worst than fram at the filtration level.

Bror,

I believe I used the term "North American" properly, knowing they are made in USA and in CANADA (I have both on hand). I do not distinguish between the two, both meet Honda's specification for the lubrication system in my S2000. My S2000 oil pump displaces over 15.4 gpm at 6000 RPM, the engine revvs to 9000 (you do the math). I'm not going to trust an unqualified filter to handle the capacity, regardless of construction when people with a lot of imagination grab a pipe cutter and start prying. If my engine quits while I have a brand X filter on my car, will brand X pay to have my engine repaired? What if Honda feels the failure was caused by brand X filter? I'm on my own!
mad.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
malibu and S2000Driver, careful when you say "North American OEM Honda filters."

That could be the well-built Filtech (USA) OR the much cheaper Canadian Fram version. Both fit the definition of made in North America.

Life's too short to pay $4+ for a scuzzy, blue-painted, Fram-made filter with cardboard internal structures. Better made filters are available for the same price ... or just $1-2 more. Easily worth the (slightly) added cost.

I won't buy another Fram OEM filter, period. If Honda wants to cut corners with their OEM products, I will go elsewhere ... hastings, Baldwin, etc ...

It's just like their bike oils. They suck (easily sheared down) ... and you pay a premium for this extra suckage factor. Well, not this dude ... no way!
mad.gif

--- Bror Jace

malibu and S2000Driver, careful when you say "North American OEM Honda filters."

That could be the well-built Filtech (USA) OR the much cheaper Canadian Fram version. Both fit the definition of made in North America.

Life's too short to pay $4+ for a scuzzy, blue-painted, Fram-made filter with cardboard internal structures. Better made filters are available for the same price ... or just $1-2 more. Easily worth the (slightly) added cost.

I won't buy another Fram OEM filter, period. If Honda wants to cut corners with their OEM products, I will go elsewhere ... hastings, Baldwin, etc ...

It's just like their bike oils. They suck (easily sheared down) ... and you pay a premium for this extra suckage factor. Well, not this dude ... no way!
mad.gif

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back