Honda Jet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw my first Honda jet parked at local airport today - Gillespie Field. Very distinctive profile. Driving by - should have snapped a pic

I haven't seen one in person. I live a few miles from there. I used to eat my lunch there everyday and watch the students do touch and goes.

Viewable from Marshall Ave east of the trolley stop. About 3 PM April 11.

I haven't yet seen a HondaJet in the wild. Only photos so far. The HondaJet is a sharp looking aircraft.

I used to work at Gillespie Field. I miss being there. I hope there is still lots of flying going on?

I've seen a number of them at PBI. Spoke with the crew of an early model. He mentioned some weight limitations that were overcome in the later "Elite" models.

I clearly recall all the claims of better efficiency, more speed, more range, more efficient engines and so on. None of those things were true. Aviation is a well refined science and we've known for some time how to build fast and efficient aircraft. The Citation Mustang, based on a decades old design is in many ways a better and more capable/faster aircraft.

The best that can be said about the Honda Jet is that it finally, after a number of upgrades, comes close to the competition.

Last edited:
I used to see them a lot when I flew in/out of GSO. I believe they had the manufacturing facility there, but it's been a while.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I've seen a number of them at PBI. Spoke with the crew of an early model. He mentioned some weight limitations that were overcome in the later "Elite" models.

I clearly recall all the claims of better efficiency, more speed, more range, more efficient engines and so on. None of those things were true. Aviation is a well refined science and we've known for some time how to build fast and efficient aircraft. The Citation Mustang, based on a decades old design is in many ways a better and more capable/faster aircraft.

The best that can be said about the Honda Jet is that it finally, after a number of upgrades, comes close to the competition.

I always wondered why Honda would invest so much money in designing and engineering such a very low production jet ?

grin.gif

Cut my wrist and it will bleed Honda red but they should go back to the drawing board and fix this silly looking jet...

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I always wondered why Honda would invest so much money in designing and engineering such a very low production jet ?

I think they really believed they could be more efficient and more capable. They made some wild claims about engine efficiency. Yet, we've been developing gas turbine engines for over 70 years. There is no magic, it takes fuel and heat to go fast and it takes large fuel capacity to go a long way. Also it's exceedingly difficult (seemingly impossible) to make small gas turbine engines as efficient as the modern large ones. The large ones not being all that efficient either.

TSFC is listed at "less than" 0.7 lb/lbf/h. For comparison the old Pratt JT15D made in the 1980's was far better than that, at 0.55.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BusyLittleShop
Cut my wrist and it will bleed Honda red but they should go back to the drawing board and fix this silly looking jet...

It's probably a good jet once you put a decent yoke, levers, and tune the landing gear. 🤣

If I remember correctly the engine is a joint GE/Honda venture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back