Honda Civic Maxlife, which Lubegard color?

Status
Not open for further replies.
98 Civic with 130k km. Honda Z1 originally in transmission.
Drain and fill 3 times over 3K of driving with Maxlife ATF.

3rd time, I had the garage space so I just did it myself.
Filled with around 2.75L(2.9QT) as indicated in the manual.

Drove for 30 mins and noticed 2nd-3rd-4th gear changes kind of sluggish. Not as firm as what I expected from Maxlife with first 2 D&F. I remember my mechanic measured what came out the first time around and got 3L so he put that much back in.

The next day, I poured in another 100ml and this time it fixed 3rd-4th gear sluggishness.

Now my issue is with 2nd to 3rd gear shift. I'm feeling a jerk when shifting at certain RPM and throttle input.

1. If I hold the throttle at around 30% throughout the acceleration. It would shift at 3K RPM or below. At this point, no jerk.

2. If I press the gas pedal at around 60-100% and make the tranny shift at 4K+, no jerk.

3. However, if I press the throttle around 30-60%. The tranny typically shifts at around 3.5K, this is where the jerking happens. If I am careful and let go of the pedal slightly right when it is shifting, then it will fix the jerk.

I was wondering, which Lubegard color would help with this if any?

Red is supposed to be added to OEM fluid
Black is to bring non-OEM to OEM spec
Platinum is for all around?

From the V. MaxLife ATF website: Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

Since recommended in place of Factory Spec. fluid - Red bottle LG should be the first choice.

Make sure it is not overfilled after adding LG.

Originally Posted By: wing0
3. However, if I press the throttle around 30-60%. The tranny typically shifts at around 3.5K, this is where the jerking happens. If I am careful and let go of the pedal slightly right when it is shifting, then it will fix the jerk.

Our CR-V would do a similar thing. I don't know if I'd call it a "jerk", but there was definitely an "impulse" when it'd shift from 2-3 under certain conditions. I fixed it by draining the MaxLife out and using a different fluid. I did go to Castrol's Transmax Import Multi Vehicle, but have since starting using Honda's DW-1. No shifting issues with either of those fluids. It's smoothest on the DW-1. Most improvement is on a light throttle 1-2 shift. That shift would really drag out with MaxLife, like the 1st gear clutches wouldn't release as the 2nd gear clutches engaged. Castrol fixed it some, but it's best on DW-1. What a coincidence.
wink.gif

I also used MaxLife in our Acura and though I didn't notice any jerky shifting, the shifting did become "sluggish" or "rough" after 7-8 thousand miles of being in the sump. More MaxLife would restore it temporarily but then it was back to odd shifting. Here, too, I tried Castrol Transmax IMV and it works much better than MaxLife, but I'm not really saving any money over the Honda DW-1 (which was the point of aftermarket fluids for me), so I'm using DW-1 in the Acura again as well.

I'd continue to use the Castrol fluid if it were the same price as MaxLife. Under no circumstances will I use the MaxLife again. I'm sure it didn't hurt the transmission, but it certainly didn't shift the best, of the three fluids I have used.

Honda's AT can sometimes be picky. As much as I like the MaxLife ATF I'd' swap it for the Honda fluid. If you feel you want to take a shot at Lubegard, its the Red you want to use, but IMO changing to the Honda ATF is the way to go.

DW-1 for the win.

Honda trannies usually require Honda fluid. My 2010 Accord came with Z1 from the factory and I recently swapped it out with DW-1. Smooth as silk. No problems.

I don't seem to be able to get lubegard here =(
Called napa and carquest already.

Would it be bad if I mix DW-1 with maxlife?
I am thinking of doing one D&F just to try.
If it improves things, I will just leave it as is.

Could it be the lack of zinc in maxlife?

Last edited:

No. You already have a mix of MaxLife and Z-1. These are all transmission fluids; all you can do at this point is improve the frictional properties of the fluid. Some have had good success with MaxLife and some haven't. Regardless of how well it does or doesn't run in someone else's car, your transmission doesn't like it, for whatever reason. Any Honda fluid you run through it at this point will be an improvement in my opinion.

I've never gotten comfortable with the purpose for the zinc in Honda's fluid and what replaces that behavior in a Dex/Merc type fluid. Zinc has been in both Honda fluids now, Z1 and DW-1, so Honda clearly has a reason for it. What that purpose is, I'm not sure.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

No. You already have a mix of MaxLife and Z-1. These are all transmission fluids; all you can do at this point is improve the frictional properties of the fluid. Some have had good success with MaxLife and some haven't. Regardless of how well it does or doesn't run in someone else's car, your transmission doesn't like it, for whatever reason. Any Honda fluid you run through it at this point will be an improvement in my opinion.

I've never gotten comfortable with the purpose for the zinc in Honda's fluid and what replaces that behavior in a Dex/Merc type fluid. Zinc has been in both Honda fluids now, Z1 and DW-1, so Honda clearly has a reason for it. What that purpose is, I'm not sure.

So Lubegard told me that they sell the Platinum version to Canadian Tire here. Is this as good as the Red?

I might just pass by dealership tonight to pick up 3L of DW-1.

So Lubegard told me that they sell the Platinum version to Canadian Tire here. Is this as good as the Red?

Myself, I'd probably call Lubegard and see what they say, at least to get their recommendation. I'd still try the Honda fluid before I added any additives.

Worked on the car some more.

I rechecked ATF level and found it to be overfilled. Extracted about 500ml and got it to the right level.

The tranny shifted much better after this with still a bit of jerk between 2nd/3rd gear change. The fluid I extracted was still quite dark so I D&F again. This time I put in DW-1 in hope that it can balance things a bit.

I notice with DW-1, the shifts are softer and a little bit slower, but it's not so bad as it helps with the jerk in 2nd-3rd gear change. However, I am not entirely sure if I want to go fully on DW-1 as Maxlife does have a relative crisper gear change feeling which gives a sort of confidence that everything is grabbing correctly.

I'll be driving a bit more tomorrow and see how things go. At this point, I will probably not look into Lubegard unless I am paying a visit to US and can grab a few bottles for cheap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bourne
Is it just one jerk/jolt between the shifts or a shudder before switching gears ???

I would say it's a jerk/jolt in the shift and it seems like it was a sluggish shift between 2nd and 3rd gear.

Now getting ATF at the right level and another drain and fill.
It's better, but these gearbox has never been overly smooth in the first place
grin.gif

I will just monitor it for now as I did D&F with at least 2.8L of Maxlife and another 2.5L of DW-1 in two days. The fluid should have more life to it now.

When I visit the states, I'll get Lubegard Red and DW-1/Maxlife since it's all cheaper there.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Since Honda finally developed a decent ATF(DW-1), I would use that...

Yah, I just thought that DW-1 wasn't really exactly made for old Hondas and maxlife had quite a positive reviews in many places.

I would estimate that I'm running close to 40% DW-1/40% Maxlife and 10% Z-1.

Once I can get my hands on some cheaper DW-1(Dealerships up here charges $10-12/L). I will just continue to D&F with DW-1. Although I still have 1L left of maxlife.

did you tried disconnect the battery terminal, or pull the PCM fuse after switching to Maxlife? there are Honda dealer selling DW1 at very good and competitive price here, call them around, and ask for bulk price, some would give you 10-15% off, and some may give you more. also we may be getting a different version of DW1, the label on DW1 in Canada says its synthetic, while not so in US; however i don't know if there is true differences or simply for marketing. anyhow after realize the price differences with shipping charge is very little, I end up buying mine from a dealer north east GTA.

Originally Posted By: gogozy
did you tried disconnect the battery terminal, or pull the PCM fuse after switching to Maxlife? there are Honda dealer selling DW1 at very good and competitive price here, call them around, and ask for bulk price, some would give you 10-15% off, and some may give you more. also we may be getting a different version of DW1, the label on DW1 in Canada says its synthetic, while not so in US; however i don't know if there is true differences or simply for marketing. anyhow after realize the price differences with shipping charge is very little, I end up buying mine from a dealer north east GTA.

No, I didn't pull battery or PCM fuse. Does that make a huge difference? I've been gradually switching to maxlife on this car over about half a year period. Isn't that enough time for it to "learn"?

I didn't ask for bulk pricing, because I wanted to give DW-1 a try first before committing to it. I will ask for that when the time comes for another D&F.

As for the labeling issue, I am also curious. Would Honda actually have two different DW-1 fluid? How about the Acura DW-1 bottles in the US. Do they say synthetic?

Originally Posted By: gogozy

No, I didn't pull battery or PCM fuse. Does that make a huge difference? I've been gradually switching to maxlife on this car over about half a year period. Isn't that enough time for it to "learn"?

I didn't ask for bulk pricing, because I wanted to give DW-1 a try first before committing to it. I will ask for that when the time comes for another D&F.

As for the labeling issue, I am also curious. Would Honda actually have two different DW-1 fluid? How about the Acura DW-1 bottles in the US. Do they say synthetic?

I am no expert on if PCM does relearn or not once it finish learning. just thinking. as for label; I recall DW1 in Canada label as synthetic, while in US there was no such claim, at least when DW1 become available. not saying they are the same or different, just it's something to consider if I are going to buy it from US. today we still can get SM version of 0w20 while US dealers had switch to SN 0w20.

DW-1 is full synthetic in US

@ OP: Check your motor and trans mounts. You do not need lubeguard with Maxlife. Continue using Maxlife, my shop or myself have no had any issues using Maxlife in Honda ATs. In fact Im using it in my Acura with its infamous 5 speed auto ( huge recall etc etc ) and it works just fine. Personally I feel the shifts more positive and it seems that the car stays in the right gear more often. Floor it on the hwy and it instantly drops from OD to 3rd and takes off, no hesitation, no balking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back