homemade pork brats

good day all. I recently bought a meat grinder and tube stuffer for my wife's kitchen aid mixer. Our son wants to make some homemade pork brats. Anyone have a good recipe? I'm not looking for a kit per say, I want to mix the ingredients in individually.

I'm thinking a nice jalapeno cheddar and a sweet Italian would be good. I have googled some recipes but thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance, Todd

lol good point! Unfortunately not originally from Iowa but looking to have some fun with my son who’s expressed interest in this activity.

I started making fresh sausage this past spring.

Buy a mix and follow the instructions. Certainly for the first time. Making sausage isn't really like following a recipe. There is more to worry about than the ingredients that go in. Like, what should my bind be, do I need more water or less water? How "full" should casings feel? I think this is full, but when I cook them, they're not full at all.

When you follow the instructions in a kit, it'll tell you how much water to add and you'll get a good feel for how the meat bind should feel before it goes into the casing. Also, you'll know it's safe and won't have to worry about if you need a cure or how much.

When you're comfortable that you can physically turn out a good sausage (don't worry, all those "mistake" batches are still good eating), then start developing your own sausage. Just learning about how sausage making uses weights and percentages takes some study. Look at any "recipe" that uses measurements for ingredients with a suspicious eye. Tablespoons and teaspoons aren't the language of sausage making.

This is one of my favorite sausage recipes. It is a Central Texas-style beef sausage (despite the fact it has pork in it) and comes courtesy of one of the moderators of the r/bbq sub-reddit. It was my first "from scratch" sausage and it was awesome:

100% Beef
30% Pork
6.5% water
1.75% salt
1% cafe grind black pepper
1% paprika
.0025% cure #1
Pork is optional, but greatly improves the sausage. Double grind all meats through a 6mm plate. Use brisket trim for the beef, pork shoulder for the pork and don’t worry about the fat ratio. Trim nothing.
Smoke at 200f until 155 degrees IT, chill in ice water bath. Before service smoke at 275 until 165 it, slice and serve.
Good adjuncts are cayenne, 8% jalapenos, 8% sharp cheddar cheese...etc
If you’re having problems with your bind you can add in up to 3% dry milk powder (1.5% will probably do it). It doesn’t affect flavor.

Go buy the book "Charcuterie" by Brian Polcyn and Michael Ruhlman. It's a great how-to book for sausages, cured foods, smoked foods, and cured/smoked foods like jerky, smoked sausages, etc...

It has a pretty solid bratwurst recipe in it, and a good set of Italian sausage recipes (sweet and hot) that I've made myself. The holiday kielbasa is pretty great as well, especially if you smoke it (the book has it as a fresh sausage).

Go buy the book "Charcuterie" by Brian Polcyn and Michael Ruhlman. It's a great how-to book for sausages, cured foods, smoked foods, and cured/smoked foods like jerky, smoked sausages, etc...

It has a pretty solid bratwurst recipe in it, and a good set of Italian sausage recipes (sweet and hot) that I've made myself. The holiday kielbasa is pretty great as well, especially if you smoke it (the book has it as a fresh sausage).

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out. For now I ordered a few kits from https://www.curleyssausagekitchen.com/ I'll give that a try and then venture out more after that...

Just my $0.02

well the first round of mild Italian turned out pretty good, with nice flavor. Round 2 will be this Friday. I'm still needing to find some pork fat to add a little extra grease. The Boston butt I used had some fat on it but didn't seem like enough. They weren't dry but not as "juicy" as a Johnsonville. In some respects it was kinda nice...

just my $0.02

Try caraway seeds, as alot of sausage has it as na ingredient.
will the addition of caraway seeds help with the fat content? My reading indicates no, but they will add flavor.

I'm not really looking for flavor as I have bought kits for the mix to start with. I am looking to add a little more fat content to make them "juicier". I cooked another dinner's worth of the original batch last night and they were good again...

just my $0.02

Back