Home safe's .....anybody own one?

I bought a safe for guns and other stuff at Academy yesterday (Cannon for 899.00 )
I have 4 long guns and 14 pistols and bullets etc. it ways about 610 pounds.....
My qustion is is do you have it or should i anchor it down....I worry about the house foundation etc...
With the guns and ammo and other junk should add 100 to 125 pounds to the total.
I dont think even 3 guys coul walk off with 740-750 pounds plus its in the back bedroom ....a long way to the street and i have a home alarm too.

Anchor the safe . 4 Strong guys can pick up a 1000 lb safe. When I moved the movers picked up my 1000 lb empty safe and carried it to the truck. Remember the safe only makes it harder for the thief to steal the stuff inside.

Anchor the safe . 4 Strong guys can pick up a 1000 lb safe. When I moved the movers picked up my 1000 lb empty safe and carried it to the truck. Remember the safe only makes it harder for the thief to steal the stuff inside.
Not a bad idea but unlikely to be taken away. Thieves mostly do not mess with safes or what's inside. Too much time involved. They often head to the master bedroom, grab several pillow cases and take jewelry, cash or whatever they can fit in the pillow case and they are gone in a few minutes. Better to get a loud, monitored security system. Once that alarm goes off, they are gone like thieves in the night.

A safe isn't going to prevent theft, it will slow down any attempts though.
So along with video camera and/or alarms it may stop theft.

OK, you're going to put the 610 lb. safe in a back bedroom and are worried about the weight.

Question: is this a concrete slab floor, or do you have a basement/crawl-space?
► basement with floor joists - I would set the safe on 3/4-inch plywood to help distribute the weight
and check the bridging between the joists, possibly add some more.
► concrete slab - may not have as much to worry about (as far as wight)

Edit: I think most home burglars are kids and junkies looking for a fast buck.
It would take a professional burglar to move a safe.

OK, you're going to put the 610 lb. safe in a back bedroom and are worried about the weight.

Question: is this a concrete slab floor, or do you have a basement/crawl-space?
► basement with floor joists - I would set the safe on 3/4-inch plywood to help distribute the weight
and check the bridging between the joists, possibly add some more.
► concrete slab - may not have as much to worry about (as far as wight)

Edit: I think most home burglars are kids and junkies looking for a fast buck.
It would take a professional burglar to move a safe.

Every situation is different . My safe is not bolted down but it's squeezed into a very tight location in a closet . To remove it from the house it would take removal of several doors and the only way out is through the front door . All while the alarm is screaming ..And nothing get's past my neighbor across the street . :geek:

This is TX no basements here....just the slab....and if i anchor it down..... if i move and sell house will i have to tear up the slab getting the safe out?......chances of me selling are slim but you never know.
Im home 99 percent of the time and with the alarm...and I carry a pistol on me at all times ....my GF has a 38 on her most all the time also. Both of us are semi disabled and are an easy target as i found out 3 years ago...12 guage pump and a glock 43 saved me.
I was going to go with no anchor for now thinking im always home or someone is plus the alarm and 750 pounds aint light ....I can always anchor it down at a later date.
I have a friend in AZ who was broke into and has his safe in the garage....its big and is about 1000 pounds empty......said they tried a crow bar and a drill and gave up....it just scratched it up. He had 20+ long guns and 7 or 8 Rolex watches in it....his is anchored .....
he is telling be to anchor it also...as sombody says it becomes more trouble than its worth and they leave.

My safe is in a corner of my son's garage. It is deeply surrounded by all sorts of garage junk and bicycles. I doubt a robber would want to move all that just to lift a 700 lb. safe. Also, his very large German Shepard has easy access to the garage and wouldn't take kindly to an intruder.

german shepherd.jpg

I would say anchor it.
Use typical concrete anchor bolts and make sure the hole is plenty deep. Then if you want to move it later, all you do is remove the nut and pound the bolts all the way down and it's out!

My safe is in a corner of my son's garage. It is deeply surrounded by all sorts of garage junk and bicycles. I doubt a robber would want to move all that just to lift a 700 lb. safe. Also, his very large German Shepard has easy access to the garage and wouldn't take kindly to an intruder.

View attachment 108633
A 75 pound fur missile zeroing in on you would make anybody for about a safe in a hurry

Had a guy out here in Vegas that specialized in stealing safes. Didn't matter where in the house it was. He would have intel on the location, then would go in through an outside stucco/stick frame/sheet rock wall like it was butter. In and out in minutes. But I do agree it will stop the casual thieves.
I have my safe anchored in a concrete slab. I haven't tried it, but it seems like bracing against a wall and pushing the top would pull those anchors out. Like every other obstacle though, it would add time and complexity for the thief. I recommend it.

I keep my safe downstairs and you would have to take it up about 13 stairs to steal it. If anything I would worry about someone figuring out how to break the lock and open it. If they want mine bad enough to take it up the stairs I wish them the best of luck and hope they have a good chiropractor. Plus if I am home, my Glock Gen 5 will eagerly await any thieves hahahaha. I have no love at all for a thief.

Those 'gun safes' are typically Chicomm garbage. A couple years ago I bought a used/refurbed TL-15 level commercial safe for our guns, weighs just over 2,000 lbs (empty).

Back