Home HVAC has a refrigerant leak

20-21 year old TRANE XL1800 apparently has a refrigerant leak in the evaporator coil. Is there a type of refrigerant that has some "sealing" compound to stop leaks?

IMG-0180.jpg

You need a new evaporator coil and it doesn't have to be replaced by a Trane dealer. Find a reputable HVAC repair center (yea, I know. Good luck) and they can order a generic coil and replace yours. One of your biggest costs will be from the refrigerant replacement. Get some estimates from several shops, bringing in your Trane model number so they can cross-reference it and find a replacement. Or, if you are lucky to have a local shop that can do a house call and measure it themselves (I do), so be it. This advice will be if everything else is in good working order on your old unit.
That being said, since your unit is 21 years old, you might consider the cost replacing everything, provided your budget can handle it. The cost will be exorbitant, but it will be more efficient than your old unit.

20-21 year old TRANE XL1800 apparently has a refrigerant leak in the evaporator coil. Is there a type of refrigerant that has some "sealing" compound to stop leaks?

Sounds like a great opportunity to explore options on a heat pump. R22 refrigerant is only getting more expensive. You can only buy recycled R22 and it can be ridiculously expensive (i.e. $150/lb).

I had a local guy that I knew from a previous home install install a new system in my existing furnace/blower. It is a Goodman and I know the reputation but a good installer is a huge difference. Ours has worked flawlessly for 3 summers now and has saved us on electricity since per killawatt has increased but our bill is less now than with our old unit.

Ours has worked flawlessly for 3 summers now and has saved us on electricity since per killawatt has increased but our bill is less now than with our old unit.
I would think a new unit SHOULD work flawlessly for 3 years, but the fact is, most new systems are junk with most of the parts sourced from China at the lowest possible cost. My home a/c is over 30 years old and still works great. The system at my place in Florida is 8 years old and I've already had to replace the compressor and evaporator.

Sounds like a great opportunity to explore options on a heat pump. R22 refrigerant is only getting more expensive. You can only buy recycled R22 and it can be ridiculously expensive (i.e. $150/lb).
There are literally tons of virgin R22 available and the price is determined by the amount you purchase. I just bought 10 pounds for $359 delivered.

There are literally tons of virgin R22 available and the price is determined by the amount you purchase. I just bought 10 pounds for $359 delivered.
It doesn't matter what you can buy it for. What matters what the HVAC company is going to charge you for it and that cost is largely local.

Last edited:
Back