home alarm swap

friend bought a house with a adt system in it. he wanted to set it up to self monitor and avoid the cost of monitoring. So we bought new key pads and circuit board and a internet module. we reused all the sensors. took a couple of hours and it works perfect . can remote from the web. hardest part was the programming. i have done it before, but its been a long time and had to relearn it.

if you have an old alarm system at home that is not active, you might think about setting it up . total cost was about $500 . he bought a nice keypad for $300 so if one got a regular keypad those are around $100.

^^^ Job well done, I installed my own system too (yes, I was a top tech in the industry) self monitor, plus sirens, 100% reliable and for lack of better words, un-defeatable. Not that we need it where we live but as a fun project I did it (as well as the cameras) no one ever needs a system until they do.

Thing is, most of the public doesnt bother until something happens and those that do dont even bother using and learning the system. Im sure if you were in the industry you know that. I cant tell you how many homes I were in to "reinspect" the system after a break in because the people haven't been using the system and now want to start again.

Its true, depending on unique location of the home (meaning in a community or not) most people dont need monitoring but they are clueless and too busy to learn how to set up and use a system.
So paying a company is much like hiring a landscaper to care for your yard. Convenience

I want to add a door sensor to mine. I think I need to call the installer to get the installer code though, correct?

Also, can the cellular communications of an alarm interfere with home Wi-Fi? I have to unplug my google home Wi-Fi almost daily to reboot it and I am wondering if the alarm panel being in the same room could cause this?

^^^ Job well done, I installed my own system too (yes, I was a top tech in the industry) self monitor, plus sirens, 100% reliable and for lack of better words, un-defeatable. Not that we need it where we live but as a fun project I did it (as well as the cameras) no one ever needs a system until they do.

Thing is, most of the public doesnt bother until something happens and those that do dont even bother using and learning the system. Im sure if you were in the industry you know that. I cant tell you how many homes I were in to "reinspect" the system after a break in because the people haven't been using the system and now want to start again.

Its true, depending on unique location of the home (meaning in a community or not) most people dont need monitoring but they are clueless and too busy to learn how to set up and use a system.
So paying a company is much like hiring a landscaper to care for your yard. Convenience
yeah i did my own house around 15 years ago and it was a lot harder those days . this was before youtube and the new alpha numeric key pad Doing it on a blind keypad was a pain. also installing sensors in a finished house takes some thought and skill.

since this one was already wired , which is about 75% of the work of an alarm, it was pretty easy to do. swap wires and program . i always prefer wired over wireless, be it internet or alarm. more reliable and less likely to be hacked. i bet there are tens of thousands of old alarm systems inactive , and you are correct in that its after a break in that they want to set up the alarm. having an alarm monitored or not is a personal desision . some feel more secure , but mine has never been monitored

I want to add a door sensor to mine. I think I need to call the installer to get the installer code though, correct?

Also, can the cellular communications of an alarm interfere with home Wi-Fi? I have to unplug my google home Wi-Fi almost daily to reboot it and I am wondering if the alarm panel being in the same room could cause this?
depends on if its being monitored or still under contract. if its free and clear , adding a sensor is not hard if you can run wire and have a reasonable sensor of how things work. also depends on the brand of alarm. if you can get the installer code then that is best. if not , then there are ways to default the alarm back to original . doing this though would require complete reprogramming , and depends on the key pad and system can be eay or drive you nuts.

there are wifi communicators now that can go in place of cellular ones. envialink is the most popular and work with the most popular systems out there . the one i helped my freind put in had a cellular cummunicator in it and we just took it out. not needed anymore

depends on if its being monitored or still under contract. if its free and clear , adding a sensor is not hard if you can run wire and have a reasonable sensor of how things work. also depends on the brand of alarm. if you can get the installer code then that is best. if not , then there are ways to default the alarm back to original . doing this though would require complete reprogramming , and depends on the key pad and system can be eay or drive you nuts.

there are wifi communicators now that can go in place of cellular ones. envialink is the most popular and work with the most popular systems out there . the one i helped my freind put in had a cellular cummunicator in it and we just took it out. not needed anymore

Thanks. I just want a wireless door sensor for an exterior door that I added. I’ll have to do some YouTube watching. We own it, it’s a DSC alarm system and I just pay a monitoring company $80 a quarter.

I like the cellular communicator since my Wi-Fi seems to drop all the time and requires me to restart my Google mesh system by unplugging it. My concern is that maybe the alarm is the cause via interference or something?

Thanks. I just want a wireless door sensor for an exterior door that I added. I’ll have to do some YouTube watching. We own it, it’s a DSC alarm system and I just pay a monitoring company $80 a quarter.

I like the cellular communicator since my Wi-Fi seems to drop all the time and requires me to restart my Google mesh system by unplugging it. My concern is that maybe the alarm is the cause via interference or something?
if you own it then you should have the installer code. try the default codes of 1111/5555/1234 . depending on which DSc model you have, you might need to add a wireless module to add a wireless sensor. Some DSC keypads have sensors have wireless recivers in them also .

i don't think the cellular comm would interefere with the wifi as they usually run a ddifferent frequency.

vid on wireless enrollment

No, It would not interfere anymore then your cell phone would.
More or less you have an issue with your wi-fi and google devices, not your alarm system.

Back