Home A/C repair or replacement Part 2

1. The equipment the general public can buy on their own is about a 3 on a scale from 1 to 10 as far as quality, real efficiency, operation and longevity.

2. This work is MUCH more difficult, complex and tiring than most can imagine. Couple that with ever-changing rules, regulations, etc., and you can get in trouble quickly.

3. Proper sizing, routing, workmanship, etc., comes from experience, knowledge and years of paying attention, asking questions and retaining knowledge.

4. Every brand is different with regards to controls, operation, etc. Most of it "all works the same" to achieve desired results (or get close enough).

5. Most people don't even know where to start with regards to purchasing equipment, supplies, controls, etc. But I am always floored at how many people come up with capacitors for condensing units on a Sunday afternoon, so there's that.

Many high quality efficient systems can be bought from various vendors online. I bought my 3 ton Mitsubishi hyper heat system (4 zone with a branch box), all premium mueller line sets with 1/2” insulation, and disconnect box/surge protector all from the same vendor. I got all my wiring from other online sources (south wire shielded in conduit with protective coating). I also purchased my refrigerant through an online vendor.

If you know how to do manual J calculations or have previous experience with different systems/btu ratings from past use, sizing is not hard to figure out (my home is also fully air sealed and insulated).

Being a tradesman already (not HVAC, though) a lot of it is common sense after doing lots of research on code, proper line routing etc. it is far from rocket science. I have lots of AC experience in the heavy truck/automotive industry and have my refrigerant certification. If you under stand how systems work again it is not hard at all.

FYI, "recycling" refrigerant doesn't mean they evacuate from your neighbor's home system and use it in yours after they've run it through a cute filter. It's sent off to a refrigerant manufacturer or major recycler.

$95 is pretty cheap for 410a today.

$1425 won't even come close to a new unit today. Maybe in 2018. More like $3000 today and that's not installed.

I have tried and tried to warn people across the internet for a few years about the coming of massive price increases in HVAC and Plumbing. It's here. You're looking at a culmination of no labor pool, government mandates that don't need to be, inflation and almost tripling raw material prices.

Nobody gives a crap about stuff like this in late October of an even-numbered year. Maybe some will start.
I recently had an estimate for a new gas water heater and we started talking about new HVAC systems and he said to expect them to double this year. Since my system is 15 years old, he told me to start saving my money because I will get sticker shock when I have to replace it.

My original system lasted about 15 years before the AC compressor was leaking so bad that I had to have it filled up before a year was up. I had an entire heating and AC system replaced. Hopefully this system will last a few more years.

5. Most people don't even know where to start with regards to purchasing equipment, supplies, controls, etc. But I am always floored at how many people come up with capacitors for condensing units on a Sunday afternoon, so there's that.
I haven't needed a capacitor on a Sunday but I did need a blower motor for the next-door lady on a Sunday night. Grainger still opens a branch here for $50 regardless of the day or time. This was in winter and it was cold, if I needed a part for the A/C I'd probably wait.

Back