Holidays and feeling down.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I don't like Christmas time. It can bring me down....way down. I used to love it as a kid though. I just try to muddle through the mostly shallow attitudes and extreme consumerism of it all. And, of course, after Christmas comes the "I gotta pay off these credit card bills now" syndrome.

Vacation in a warm spot would probably cost the same.....

and you get the best view of all: Quebequois roasting in the sun..... kidding.

you get to see people enjoying their time

If my beautiful wife would go for it.....I'd rent a big RV, pack up the dogs and head to Arizona for a couple of weeks. Trouble is, with all her kids and grandkids we could not afford to get gifts for them nor would they like us leaving the state during that time.

I absolutely HATE the holidays. I hate them because my parents and grandparents loved them and always went all out on the holidays. Now that everyone has passed away and is gone,it REALLY makes me realize how badly I miss them.

For everyone here who still has theirs,don't let a single day go by without telling them you love them.

What I don't like this time of year is when you need to go get the routine stuff from a store, you have to deal with the seasonal shopping traffic and crowds.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Andgewg,

Just saying hello is good enough.

Plus giving away free work shoes.

Originally Posted By: Donald
We have a freeze until 1/4 so no large computer changes. I am busy, but not crazy busy.

[off-topic]
Donald,
How is the new house coming?
Any "special" requests from the lady of the house?
[/off-topic]

Andrewg,
I know some Latino families are very gathering oriented, but if it's taking a toll on you+missus well being/retirement path, I recommend you have a talk with family.

and probably you heard this many times, but you only live once.

P.S. in my DJ days, the best fun was people in their 50s

Yes the holidays can be stressful. Financial issues, trying to spread yourself around for get together with different families, trying to get along with family etc

I get the blues during the holidays for my own personal reasons. Not for the ones you stated. Ever since my ex wife and I split in 2007 the Holidays have never really been the same. I am with a new woman now, and will get married one day, but that feeling of seeing my kids and all the prep involved and loving their smiles, and the overall sense of family togetherness is just different now.

I realize this isn't the point of the OP's thread, but I do love the Holidays. This time of year people just have more smiles on their faces, bundling up for the cold weather, enjoying a hot cup of coco next to the fireplace.

The traffic and all that was mentioned? Thats everyday it seems now a days. So its no bother.

God Bless Everyone. Be safe and enjoy these moments with your family. Remember everything is only Temporary in life.

Jeff

Duck everybody. Once you accept that, the holidays are so much nicer!

You should only live up to the expectations that are your own.

We have Xmas in summer, but apparently it's still a very stressful time. It's summer holidays too, the kids are out of school, it's stinking hot, summer storms, presents for relatives you never see except for Xmas, food to make, packing for camping or the bach (seaside holiday home). People just get wound up.

Other than the added stress of winter driving in MN (and more people visiting and using roads they don't understand), I choose to do very little around the holiday's. Until recently I'd been single for several years and quite liked the simple, couple hours of family time and that's all. We aren't big on gifts, or celebrating, or anything really.

Now that's I have a girlfriend, there was 100% more stress around Thanksgiving, but that was nothing more than planning for 2 visits instead of one.

The weather, however... THAT puts me in a sour mood immediately. I don't care if it's cloudy, or rainy, or foggy, but for the love of God I hate the snow and the cold. There is nothing redeeming about a Minnesota winter. I mean NOTHING.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I get the blues during the holidays for my own personal reasons. Not for the ones you stated. Ever since my ex wife and I split in 2007 the Holidays have never really been the same.... that feeling of seeing my kids and all the prep involved and loving their smiles, and the overall sense of family togetherness is just different now.

I totally feel you, Jeff.

It's just me with my daughter for the holidays, when I have her.

We DO have a great time together,
but I do miss the "big family event" it was with my ex-wife and two ex-stepkids.

Nah, Christmas holidays are great here - it's summer, daylight from 6am to 9pm, lots of beer in the fridge, the kids are about to start school holidays for a couple of months...I'm struggling to find anything to be sad about!

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
No stress here.

Yes, but you get to experience that magical Christmas Tree called A PalmTree

I agree its good not having to deal with snow and ice, but Christmas had never been anything special for me growing up.

Running to the store and buying presents was never a tradition in my family. A family get together with dinner is more important.

I never feel down during the holidays. However, we simply stayed home and had hot dogs for thanksgiving and it was a welcome stress free change from the normal family gathering and feast. Felt great! So much so, we are going to make that a tradition. Do nothing during a holiday.

I like to have a nice dinner with friends and family. I hate crowds and big formal events. Throw in a few inexpensive gifts, some lights, and we’re happy. Do what makes you happy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back