HM oil in a non leaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
My whife picked up a case of M1 HM oil for her 2004 Ford Sport Trac with 144k miles on it . Not leaks or oil usage. Will this cause any problems?
I see some controversy in these threads about this, some saying it will cause leaks or prematurely deteriorate seals. My opinion is that the extra additive package
would be a good thing. I'm I wrong ? Opinions?
Thanks

You're good to go.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Miller88
I'm running HM oil in my 26K mile 2 year old car.

Yep. I've been running maxlife 0-20 pretty much since new in an 18 Nissan.

All will be well, go ahead and use it.

I've been running HM (which is many times what I end up getting when I ask for synth blend for my oil changes) in my Sorento for most of its life, have just shy of 137K miles on it, zero problems.

Originally Posted by tmf2
My whife picked up a case of M1 HM oil for her 2004 Ford Sport Trac with 144k miles on it . Not leaks or oil usage. Will this cause any problems?
I see some controversy in these threads about this, some saying it will cause leaks or prematurely deteriorate seals. My opinion is that the extra additive package
would be a good thing. I'm I wrong ? Opinions?
Thanks

As long as it meets specs it's all good.

I've used HM oil off and on for 10 years in my Corolla if there's an issue with it I must be missing it. Currently running it. Car has no leaks and never has had it is nearly 16 years old now. Right now it has Pennzoil 5w-20 in it I picked up for $4 a Jug after sale and rebate. You have nothing to worry about. Not using it for various reasons is a pure myth!

Castrol Edge High Mileage oil says it uses phosphorus replacement technology to protect the catalyst. What exactly is that phosphorus replacement technology ?

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Castrol Edge High Mileage oil says it uses phosphorus replacement technology to protect the catalyst. What exactly is that phosphorus replacement technology ?

Lubegard Biotech?!
confused2.gif

No issues. Go for it. It will not hurt anything at all, however, it does offer the chance to protect your seals from forming leaks. It is more likely to prevent a problem by being used ahead of time than it is to fix a problem.

This is one thing I struggle with a bit. I feel like I should stick with one or the other on vehicles and I worry if I use regular oil in an engine that was used to hi-mi, leaks will suddenly spring. I know, it's all in my head.

Since you (your wife) already bought it, go ahead and use it. But I don't think there is any purpose in using high mileage oil in an engine that is not showing symptoms of high mileage such as noisy startup, oil leaks, oil consumption, etc. It's just an extra cost that isn't really needed... non-HM oil has seal conditioners too.
If you are tracking or towing with your vehicle and using HM oil for the extra additives, then that's a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back