higher quality "powerhead" for Ryobi??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have many of the older Ryobi click-link, detachable tools. My current powerhead is a John Deere BG1600 like this (it's Ryobi really) :
459_bc1_disconnect_harness_linkage_shaft.jpg

I'd like to replace the engine/powerhead with a higher quality unit. I have a nice little tiller, an edger, hedge trimmer (junk) and blower/mulcher tools.

I saw a Toro at Homeless depot that would work, but it does not appear to be of higher quality. I'd like some other brand, if possible.

Do any of the "name brand" units mate with the Ryobi attachments?

Most of the cheap ones work with Ryobi attachments. The Toro is actually a high quality unit. It is one of two options for a full crank that I know of. The other option is a Huqvarna.

I have Echo PAS stuff for other tasks. It's quite good and that is my "go-to" equipment.

I'll look into the Husky, there is a local dealer, where I purchased my 346XP Husq chainsaw (the 346xp rocks BTW)

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I'll look into the Husky, there is a local dealer, where I purchased my 346XP Husq chainsaw (the 346xp rocks BTW)

the 346xp is one wicked lil saw! as another stated, you can buy the 100 series husqvarna at lowes

Originally Posted By: BerlinettaBoxer
If you have Lowes in the area, they sell the Husqvarna model.

Yep. I've got a Husqvarna or should I say PoulanVarna 125L from BLowes. Had it for 3-4yrs now. Hopefully they still come with carbs that you can adjust provided you've got a Sears/AYP/Poulan carb adjusting tool (or the likes). That makes all the difference in the world over a non-adjustable IMO. It's a decent trimmer for ~$200.

Joel

jtk, be thankful you can find that (splined) tool for like $6-10, my 2 newest trimmers ones a kawasaki the other a shindiawa, require an (oval looking tool) and the cheapest i could find one was $60, luckily i have a buddy who has one.

Lots of people will dis the Toro Powerhead from Home Depot but mine (I have two) have given me very little trouble.

I still have a older one that needed new fuel lines and a carb cleanup, Runs great right now.

Also the Toro powerhead Has a Full Crank vs. the ryobi split cranks.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

not sure what your saying here, and im not saying there arent a few differences here and there between the toro/ryobi, but its still a ryobi made unit.

Professional models use a full crank (crank shaft), thats part of why they last longer. The cheap models use a half crank. The cheapest of the cheap. I don't know of a Ryobi branded full crank model, but the Toro is full crank. So while it is cheaper than professional equipment, it is one of the better quality units that takes ryobi attachments. I don't know if it is better or worse than the Husqvarna unit (also full crank) but it should be a good unit for a homeowner. My leaf blower uses the same engine and I have had zero problems with it. The Toro is available as a power head only but I think the Husqvarna only comes with a weedwhacker attachment. Again, as a homeowner unit I don't think you could go wrong with either.

I looked at the Husky at Lowes. I did not make it to the local Husky dealer.

The Husky has a 50 hour EPA rating. Meaning, it's not a robust engine. As it has no other emission controls other that engine integrity to affect output. Not sure about the Toro's rating.

My Echo is rated at 300 hours.

Looking at them both, I'm not sure there is any difference is quality.

Last edited:
I'm suprised that the Husky is only a 50 hour rating, usually only the half crank models are that low. The Toro is a 125 hour rating.

Originally Posted By: clarklawnscape
Originally Posted By: 123Saab

not sure what your saying here, and im not saying there arent a few differences here and there between the toro/ryobi, but its still a ryobi made unit.

Not sure what he is talking about. Both the Ryobi and Toro are
badged made by MTD 30 CC. I have done piston and rings and they are MTD parts. Actually pretty good consumer units, just richen em up. The dang Poulan looks like it is from the same food chain,but not sure. Ayp has different mowers, but does not mean they put their badge on a different 2 cycle.The Bolen's (MTD)cultivator and Ryobi/Toro trimmer/brushcutter are the same darn 30 cc motor. Echo, Stihl are their own units, but not sure about the Poulan/Husqvarna. Husky owns poulan and shares many parts. Husky uses Kawi engines in it's upper level stuff. It is all a [censored] on who makes consumer level equipment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
I looked at the Husky at Lowes. I did not make it to the local Husky dealer.

The Husky has a 50 hour EPA rating. Meaning, it's not a robust engine. As it has no other emission controls other that engine integrity to affect output. Not sure about the Toro's rating.

My Echo is rated at 300 hours.

Looking at them both, I'm not sure there is any difference is quality.

I have a Husky 128LD that I got at Lowes the beginning of this summer, and I'm pretty sure the manual says that it has a cat. built into the muffler. I don't know if this has any effect on the 50hrs. epa rating. All I know is I've been very happy with it, starts on the second pull everytime and has descent power and nice balance to it, and I really like the trimmer head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back