High mile engines... whose got them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both my wife and I have Hondas as our main commuter cars (mine is a CRX and hers is a 4-door Civic). And both of those cars have over 250k miles on them. And in both cases, we got those cars used when they already had over 150k miles on them (from previous owners).

But the real interesting thing, is just how happy Honda cars are to keep going, as long as you take care of them. In fact, by using quality parts (when doing maintenance) and synthetic oil (M1 5w30), the cars seem to be getting better (cleaner engine, better performance, improvements in gas mileage, etc) the longer we have them!

-83 MB 300D 228k
-91 BMW 318i 110k
-94 Toyota Previa 201k
-94 Acura Integra 177k
-94 Mitsubishi 300GT VR-4 115k
-96 MB E300D 175k
-97 Plymouth Breeze 100k

All use synthetic oil, none leak or consume any, all have good UOA resultsand beat EPA fuel economy.

Nothing has been rebuilt on any of them except the diff on the BMW. The radiators have been replaced on the Toyota and Acura. AC compressor on the old MB and BMW. Nothing else but PM parts (including brakes, rotors and tires) have been necessary on any.

The other cars are
JMH

Article taken from Auto service and maintenance advice from TCC

Q--My Mercury Grand Marquis was purchased new on July 1, 1996. I was targeting July 1, 2005 for turning 500,000 miles. I lightened up on my driving the past six months since the price of gas increased so I will not make the target date. However, as of today I have 487,000 miles on this auto, with the original engine (the only engine work was the replacement of intake manifold) and no transmission work, nor any exhaust system service. I change the oil and oil filter every 3000 miles, and never run oil low. My car currently burns one quart between oil changes. I change air filters every fourth oil change, spark plugs once per year (about every 55,000 miles), and change transmission fluid every 100,000 miles. My car continues to average 22 to 25 mpg with very low maintenance therefore my total cost per mile is superior to nearly every car on the road. Also, I burn only branded gasoline. I think the detergent package is better. And oh yeah, I am also under 60 years old.

A--I couldn't resist running this letter. Not only is the mileage marvelous, so is his maintenance regimen. Although letters continue to trickle in on the highest-mileage vehicle, I promise this will be the last I use, unless somebody has a million-miler.

Just sold my '95 GMC Sonoma 4x4 4.3 5sp manual with 113k miles. Been one of the better vehicles I've own.
Replaced the above with a 2K6 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4x4 4.0 6sp manual. Plan to keep 15years which I should be able to do since the Sonoma lasted 11 years.

526000 miles on HRC modded 93 Accord V6 still running, M-I 15W-50 from day one, OM 616 turbo SUV running at 326000 miles and going strong with no oil consumption, Delo 400 or Delvac Super from day one.

97,000 on a '00 cavalier bought it with 5 miles on the clock. went through 3 other brands of oil and switched to Havoline about soon after reading BITOG.
grin.gif

175K miles on a 1995 Mazda B3000 Pkp. Bought it last year at 130k miles, did 2 AutoRx treatments for Engine and 1 for Auto transmission. The truck drives & shifts very smooth. Been using Valvoline Hi-Mileage 10W30 in summer and 5W30 in winters at 4K miles OCI.

My brother has a 2000 Chevrolet Silverado with the 4.3L V6 engine. It has 300,000+ miles on it and has used Havoline 10W-40 since the first oil change. It has a manual transmission and has been a great truck for 6 years. He might get 500K out of it!!

My 88 Lesabre T-type just turned 250,000. I bought it at 210,000 and the oil was pitch black and the car had been poorly maintained. Runs and drives great still.

267,000mi on my 85 Volvo wagon. No work on the engine except opted to drop in a performance cam at 240,000mi. Original auto tranny and drive train with no work. Uses no oil. All original fuel injection system.

Taken a couple of hits over the years. The car and its occupants fared very well.

Very dependable vehicle and handles better than you would expect. These wagons have nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

175k miles '98 Chev K1500.

- Original 4L60E Trans. Fluid changed every 50K miles.

- Engine runs very strong oil changed every 3k miles with whatever brand name 5w-30 dino was on sale.

- First (pre-bitog) 165k miles was on Fram oil filters (Now Napa Golds).

- Dex-cool changed every 2 yrs or so.

113k on the 97 Tbird 4.6L "sport"
bought it at 72k miles.
all oem, except the plastic intake manifold was replaced with the updated one which has the aluminum crossover.

prev. owner used Pennzoil dino (10/40).
I have so far used: MC most of the time, Pennz.HM several OCI, M-1 5w/40 once, GC once, MC 10/30 plus Redline mix, several OCI.

Right now using Havoline 10/30 HM. in summer,
Mobil clean or Hav. or other dino 5/30 in winter.
current OCI is 5k miles or 6 months.

quote:

Originally posted by Vuser:
97,000 on a '00 cavalier bought it with 5 miles on the clock. went through 3 other brands of oil and switched to Havoline about soon after reading BITOG.
grin.gif

oh come on... youve got a youngster! Get back to us with about 50k more on the clock!!!

Keep that baby running well and you will report back here with real high mileage!

cheers.gif

JMH

207k on a 93 corsica 3.1, bought at 100k. Whatever was on sale, always in 5w30, no frams since 130k. Dripped oil everywhere but didn't burn much. Never touched the 3t40 trans.

176k on a 95 saturn SW1, just re-ringed motor and put on a new timing chain, rod bearings, valve seals, etc. Also doing some front end work, everything got tired at the same time LOL. Rings= par for the course for saturn 1.9s.

200k on a 99 intrigue 3.8 I had briefly; I can't comment on my own maintenance habits but it burned half a quart in 3000 miles and ran like a scalded dog. Must have had all highway miles and decent maintenance since the front end etc was real tight.

1991 Subaru Loyale Wagon.1800 cc with 5 speed manual transmission. What a car!
Bought car new with 11 miles on the odometer Car has 275,000 miles with no engine or transmission problems ever. Doesn't burn any oil still gets 30+ mpg.
Religiuosly changed oil ( Quaker State 10 w 40) and filter every 3000 miles.
Still on my original clutch.

I think preventive maintenance is the key to long life on any piece of equipment.

486k+ on an 84 Civic wagon, 5-speed a/c, was driven a lot, now not driven much at all. Steady diet of Red Line, one Auto-RX, head never off, no major work beyond a bearings and seals for the tranny and a new camshaft because one lobe showed wear. It passes Calif smog and gets 37-40 mpg and everyting works, every switch, light and the a/c. It burns a little oil but does not smoke and starts right up, every time. It's been a good car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back