Hertz Settles for $168M

What is rather infuriating about this, to me at least, is that after all of this is done, Hertz still has failed to offer any statement of remorse, or apology, towards the victims. All their public statements on the subject have been very guarded. No admission of wrong doing. In my mind at least, events like this give us a glimpse into the corporate attitude towards their customers.
What’s with Americans and their insistence on apologies? Haven’t met another culture that demands apologies or thinks that an apology makes everything A OK.

What’s a fake apology good for anyways?

One article I read, said that insurance paid the majority of the settlement.

What is rather infuriating about this, to me at least, is that after all of this is done, Hertz still has failed to offer any statement of remorse, or apology, towards the victims. All their public statements on the subject have been very guarded. No admission of wrong doing. In my mind at least, events like this give us a glimpse into the corporate attitude towards their customers.

The company I worked for before retiring last year, got good rates from Avis, so I have typically used them. Can't recall ever renting from Hertz. I'm pretty sure that after following news articles on this for the last year or so, I will never use Hertz.
Whether it was insurance that paid it, or Hertz shareholders that paid it - those responsible did not pay it.

They will do it again or something like it - there is no penalty to them. Without criminal charges nothing changes.

They didn't apologize because like most criminals, there only sorry they got caught.

Back