Hertz Settles for $168M

Got off too easy IMHO.

"ESTERO, Fla. — Hertz says it will pay approximately $168 million by the end of the year to settle the majority of the lawsuits brought against the rental car company by some of its customers who were wrongly accused of stealing cars they had rented."

Got off too easy IMHO.

"ESTERO, Fla. — Hertz says it will pay approximately $168 million by the end of the year to settle the majority of the lawsuits brought against the rental car company by some of its customers who were wrongly accused of stealing cars they had rented."

LOL I wonder who's going to be wearing that cream pie?

I'd be seriously angry if this happened to me. As my employment in Aviation is immediately terminated upon arrest due to the "Continuous Criminal History Records Check" program. As vehicle theft is among the top items that will prevent airport access! I'd never recover, even if the charges were dropped and I was able to persuade the 5 different airports I'm badged at, that it "was a mistake". My replacement would be hired and in place, and no company would hire a doddering old fool like me.

I thought they were going bankrupt, or already was? How'd they get the money?

I'd be seriously angry if this happened to me. As my employment in Aviation is immediately terminated upon arrest due to the "Continuous Criminal History Records Check" program. As vehicle theft is among the top items that will prevent airport access! I'd never recover, even if the charges were dropped and I was able to persuade the 5 different airports I'm badged at, that it "was a mistake". My replacement would be hired and in place, and no company would hire a doddering old fool like me.
I remember when I got my ramp pass decades ago there was an FBI criminal check.

Agreed. Unfortunately this happens every day.

This would infuriate me if it happened to me or a family member; really, anyone. Imagine your toddler in the car and you get pulled over at gunpoint and are arrested. ***

I would be infuriated as an Officer (as i once was) if i later found out the person i arrested was completely innocent and this whole thing was a result of Hertz's incompetency.

WHAT?
What and how did this happen?
They have a {stuck} function key which forwards license plate numbers to the police?

Yup - 2 things made this happen.

1. Vindictive stupid employees that went off the reservation because a client may have been inconvenient to deal with or required to speak with them, or just flat dropped a ball.

2. Cops that refused or weren't allowed to do anything other than execute a warrant. The cop position is that they dont determine the viability of warrants - they execute them.

The victims usually had at their fingertips a mountain of evidence it was a bogus claim - printed receipts, electronic docs - all easily presentable.

The victims usually had at their fingertips a mountain of evidence it was a bogus claim - printed receipts, electronic docs - all easily presentable.

Guilty until proven innocent.

How does a car get rented back out to other customers if it's been reported missing? Isn't it in their computer systems when the car comes back in or goes out?

They still are in “bankruptcy protection”. My old boss works for hertz right next to my lot. They are a publicly traded company also. My company is privately and family owned. No stock market involved. Hertz isn’t doing good in my area let’s leave it at that

Yup - 2 things made this happen.

1. Vindictive stupid employees that went off the reservation because a client may have been inconvenient to deal with or required to speak with them, or just flat dropped a ball.

2. Cops that refused or weren't allowed to do anything other than execute a warrant. The cop position is that they dont determine the viability of warrants - they execute them.

Unfortunately that would be up to the courts, not the Officer. Too many fake documents easily produced these days. Once a check comes back to an open warrant, the Officer has no choice.

Unfortunately that would be up to the courts, not the Officer. Too many fake documents easily produced these days. Once a check comes back to an open warrant, the Officer has no choice.

Pretty hard to fake a hertz receipt, the bank website, and the Hertz website all in real time in front of someone. Could it be done - sure.

It's much easier to simply execute an arrant than to do a tiny bit of due diligence this way you rake in the fines and fees.

Same guys take paper and digital insurance cards all the time and there isnt a thought given to them.

One article I read, said that insurance paid the majority of the settlement.

What is rather infuriating about this, to me at least, is that after all of this is done, Hertz still has failed to offer any statement of remorse, or apology, towards the victims. All their public statements on the subject have been very guarded. No admission of wrong doing. In my mind at least, events like this give us a glimpse into the corporate attitude towards their customers.

The company I worked for before retiring last year, got good rates from Avis, so I have typically used them. Can't recall ever renting from Hertz. I'm pretty sure that after following news articles on this for the last year or so, I will never use Hertz.

Reactions: Pew
Back