Hemi 6.4 muffler

I have a 40 series on my 1500, left the factory resonator in place so it wasn’t obnoxious and I like it. Interior and exterior isn’t overbearing but there is some drone when it kicks over into MDS.

I have a 40 series on my 1500, left the factory resonator in place so it wasn’t obnoxious and I like it. Interior and exterior isn’t overbearing but there is some drone when it kicks over into MDS.
Thats what i was concerned with. How it would sound with MDS on.

I do mostly towing, so not a lot of MDS on. But upper rpms, don't want it too loud or droning in the cab around 2500-3k rpm.

I believe stock Ram 1500 and 2500 mufflers are the size they are to soak up the MDS noise.

I went full 'murica mode on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic hemi w/single exhaust and installed a mufflex muffler delete on it. It's marginally obnoxious in the cab when MDS kicks in. Other than that it sounds flag flyin' awesome.

The nice thing is the captive band clamps that hold the muffler in place make swapping in something 'exact fit' a super easy job.

I believe stock Ram 1500 and 2500 mufflers are the size they are to soak up the MDS noise.

I went full 'murica mode on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic hemi w/single exhaust and installed a mufflex muffler delete on it. It's marginally obnoxious in the cab when MDS kicks in. Other than that it sounds flag flyin' awesome.

The nice thing is the captive band clamps that hold the muffler in place make swapping in something 'exact fit' a super easy job.
Marginally obnoxious is the perfect description! The most obnoxious is where you’re right up against the load/throttle limit like when you’re going up a hill…. And even then the radio can drone it out, I feel the vibrations more.

Marginally obnoxious is the perfect description! The most obnoxious is where you’re right up against the load/throttle limit like when you’re going up a hill…. And even then the radio can drone it out, I feel the vibrations more.

For sure on that! Not only is the MDS louder, you feel the vibrations from it w/out the factory muffler. For around town cruising or the rare time I'm stuck in stop/go traffic, I just toggle the MDS off.

I'll likely throw the OEM muffler back on mine once I'm sick of it. It might be the last time I own a V8, so I'm just trying to enjoy it the time I have it.

Did you remove the rear resonator too?

I installed a Flowmaster outlaw (1 cut at the outlet, then bolt in flange on the inlet) on my 2020 RAM 1500. when the MDS activates it sounds pretty bad. I usually disable MDS with the steering wheel shift limiter buttons. I don't notice any difference in MPG in my daily driving. The MDS seems to kick in mostly during some form of coasting including on the interstate. That factory muffler is HUGE so yes it does handle the odd sounding MDS.
Edit: I left the resonators in the stock tailpipes, I did not want the harsh raspy sound.

Reactions: JTK

Update. I just got around to changing the exhaust. I did the delete and left the resonator as you did. Its great. Not bad at idle or driving, but when you really step on it, its pretty sporty.

Not my truck but this video is how mine sounds. I did not change the exhaust tip.

When I watched that video, what went thru my head was “the ‘70s called, and wants its exhaust note back.” No way I’d live 5 minutes with a sound like that on a $60k+ truck; around here that’s what most trucks just a few oil changes from the junkyard sound like.

Update. I just got around to changing the exhaust. I did the delete and left the resonator as you did. Its great. Not bad at idle or driving, but when you really step on it, its pretty sporty.

Not my truck but this video is how mine sounds. I did not change the exhaust tip.

Nice!

I loved the way my 2019 5.7L sounded setup like that and miss it at times. It's tough to tell over my device's speakers, but the 5.7L sounded a little different to me. Less sharp, for lack of a better way to describe it..

I feel at times I needed something to soothe my ears from the harley and bike crowd in general in my area. You wanna talk about noise? :0

Last edited:
Back