Hemi 5w20 choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by burla
Originally Posted by Danno
Just curious why folks here recommend oils that don't have manufacturer required certs for engines still in warranty?

Misguided is why, if you are going to run a non spec oil, mise well make it a non spec weight instead and get something out of it. 20 weights are extremely stable, hardly matters one brand to the next, but if you move to 5w30 there are incredible differences from brand to brand, and more over better film strength at the same time still using a thin oil = good idea for engine having issues like cams and lifters imo. Look for high additives oils with pao base oils is a good idea imo, also go away from the fca running 20 weight in a 390hp v8. The hemi is a dinosuar engine, it is not the modern stuff that thrives with lower weight oils, think hearty slightly heavier oils is a good strategy. That is what FCA did with the other non mds hemi's, run srt high moly 40 weight GtL base oil made in cooperation between FCA and Pennzoil. We also have guys running that in the mds engine 0w40 PUP, many guys on the board's second choice.

Most of this just doesn't make sense and part of it is just false.

PYB, Chevron Supreme, QSGB, Formula Shell, RGT, VWB

Any in the 5w20 flavor.

PYB 5w20 is the factory fill

With a 7qt sump, you'll be fine running a conventional. Plenty of fleet models out there running bulk conventional that meets MS spec including ambulances and police cruisers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251
Just curious why folks here recommend oils that don't have manufacturer required certs for engines still in warranty?

Misguided is why, if you are going to run a non spec oil, mise well make it a non spec weight instead and get something out of it. 20 weights are extremely stable, hardly matters one brand to the next, but if you move to 5w30 there are incredible differences from brand to brand, and more over better film strength at the same time still using a thin oil = good idea for engine having issues like cams and lifters imo. Look for high additives oils with pao base oils is a good idea imo, also go away from the fca running 20 weight in a 390hp v8. The hemi is a dinosuar engine, it is not the modern stuff that thrives with lower weight oils, think hearty slightly heavier oils is a good strategy. That is what FCA did with the other non mds hemi's, run srt high moly 40 weight GtL base oil made in cooperation between FCA and Pennzoil. We also have guys running that in the mds engine 0w40 PUP, many guys on the board's second choice.

ad hominem right? Just make an attack with zero substance behind it. So I invite you to say WHAT is false so I can respond with evidence.

Originally Posted by Treadstone

And the Red Line doesn't meet any specs but he has no issues recommending it.

Maybe learn to read? English as a second language maybe? He didn't mention Redline.

Maybe you should research his posts before you respond.

I'd hook up a heater, block, in line hose, etc, and as you get to the truck unplug it. Have the plug stick out of the grill. Problem solved.

Originally Posted by oldhp
I'd hook up a heater, block, in line hose, etc, and as you get to the truck unplug it. Have the plug stick out of the grill. Problem solved.

I'm pretty sure that theu come with coolant heaters from the factory but with the non-winter package models you need to buy and install the powercord yourself. Costs less than $10.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/blackstone-used-oil-analysis.113465/

Great thread read the entire thing, especially post twelve where another BITOG member did a uoa on different oils in a ticking hemi, and the wear #'s dropped like a rock. He was also the author of this thread. Also, look at rlk's uoa multiple uoa's that also wear dropped like a rock by using redline 5w30. Both of those two guys are in that thread that Gumby posted. My hemi is ticking, or was ticking now cured and was very young in those uoa's, read the entire thread and this one from same poster as post twelve uoa. Many uoa's in that thread of hemi's, worth while read thanks for posting.

Oil Choice Kills Hemi Tick

Castrol Magnatec 5W20-it's full synthetic, Dexos 1 Gen. 2 (I know it's a Dodge, but still requires a good performance level), sticks to engine parts well after shutoff, dirt cheap at Wal Mart. Really quieted down the clattering 4.6 MGM in my sig!

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/blackstone-used-oil-analysis.113465/

Great thread read the entire thing, especially post twelve where another BITOG member did a uoa on different oils in a ticking hemi, and the wear #'s dropped like a rock. He was also the author of this thread. Also, look at rlk's uoa multiple uoa's that also wear dropped like a rock by using redline 5w30. Both of those two guys are in that thread that Gumby posted. My hemi is ticking, or was ticking now cured and was very young in those uoa's, read the entire thread and this one from same poster as post twelve uoa. Many uoa's in that thread of hemi's, worth while read thanks for posting.

Oil Choice Kills Hemi Tick

This^
It seems like everything I've read about the 5.7L in a Ram the tick starts eventually/gradually as you sway from PYB/FF conventional and immediately into a synthetic 5w20.
I dont know why? It might be just a coincidence, but I've seen countless posts on the internet (not just bitog) about how so and so switched from conventional pennzoil to something like Pennzoil platinum for a few changes and it starts..

The truck I have now was bought used. FF was ran 7545 miles, it was then changed by the plumbing company who owned it, surprisingly they uploaded the receipts on carfax with Formula Shell 5w20 (drum bulk fill) and a Luberfiner filter, it was traded in with 14,897 miles where the Ford dealer used MC 5w20 and an Omnicraft filter. I ran that fill for 500 mi or so before I dumped it as it had a slight chatter after 80+mph interstate driving, and put Formula Shell 5w20 back in it, now it sounds like a kitten purring.

If I were the OP I'd find a nice 5w20 conventional that meets specs (PYB, QSGB) and run it for 5-7k miles, if conventional concerns you, Chevron Supreme 5w20 is a stout oil with a good moly number and is actually a SynBlend on paper.

If you want a 5w30, QSGB is one of the best conventionals on the market and has a nice Moly %
QS Synthetic 5w30 is one of the best synthetics on the market, with even higher Moly%

Last edited:
FWIW - my last OC was 5w20 Pennz Yellow Bottle.

There was a slight noticeable tick...then I added about 7 oz of the STP high mileage oil treatment.

It quieted right down after that & has been smooth since.

Originally Posted by Greg L
FWIW - my last OC was 5w20 Pennz Yellow Bottle.

There was a slight noticeable tick...then I added about 7 oz of the STP high mileage oil treatment.

It quieted right down after that & has been smooth since.

Next OCI I would consider trying either 0W30 or 5W30, and skip the STP.

Originally Posted by WillB
Is it ok to run a 5w30 with mds?

About 45% of members in a hemi forum run 5w30 and thicker, only one guy said he got a CEL but it wasn't credible, never any follow up despite being asked many times, honestly it could have been a typo on the poll. 100's of guys running 5w30 w/o issue in polls oer there. A larger consideration is why have this many people decided to ditch the manu on this, and the answer to that is the large number of forum members who have cam failures to due heavy wear. Whether or not using a thicker oil will help that or not is another matter. But fca did raise viscosity on 1500's to correct bearing wear issues in another application, so they believe thicker oil will protect against that situation, but they literally can't recomend that for the 5.7 because the gov't is all over them with CAFE. Yes, it is safe.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Red Line 5w20 to prevent imminent failure recommendation coming in 3,2,1...

I would run M1 5w20 EP in that use if it was mine and I was running the full OLM changes, but I'm not sure that Super Tech Synthetic 5w20 D1G2 wouldn't do just fine either.

Come to BITOG where the in crowd argues to run spec oils against other strong recomendations, until they feel spec's don't matter. lol? Lots of clown moves in this thread, at least tell him m1 doesn't meet hemi specification ms6395 first? As long as we are not recomending spec oils consider ditching the 5w20 and run 5w30. FCA can't address the issues with the 5.7 with a higher visc oil like they did with the eco diesel because of CAFE anf the lie that mds requires 5w20. Roughly 1/2 the guys at hemi forum run 5w30 or HIGHER. 5w30 is hemi honey, didn't want to disapoint navy fella. Yes that doesn't meet FCA spec either, like 1/2 the guys in this thread did, but at least I let you know.

And there you have it.

Type hemi or Redline in a thread topic and just wait.

Maybe learn to read? English as a second language maybe? He didn't mention Redline.

Maybe you should research his posts before you respond.

youtube ad hominom

So that is what you guys do all the time instead of participating in the thread in a positve way. So maybe you would like to take this time to address the OP's question, instead of more of the same as in the youtube video. Exactly what about redline makes it not a great choice for the hemi?

Maybe check the history behind recent Hemi discussions before leveling insults.

burla's passionate about Hemi's and swears by Red Line.

His opponents are passionate about keeping the warranty intact with specified quality oils.

Originally Posted by WillB
Is it ok to run a 5w30 with mds?

About 45% of members in a hemi forum run 5w30 and thicker, only one guy said he got a CEL but it wasn't credible, never any follow up despite being asked many times, honestly it could have been a typo on the poll. 100's of guys running 5w30 w/o issue in polls oer there. A larger consideration is why have this many people decided to ditch the manu on this, and the answer to that is the large number of forum members who have cam failures to due heavy wear. Whether or not using a thicker oil will help that or not is another matter. But fca did raise viscosity on 1500's to correct bearing wear issues in another application, so they believe thicker oil will protect against that situation, but they literally can't recomend that for the 5.7 because the gov't is all over them with CAFE. Yes, it is safe.

I agree. While having my airbag recall done I spoke with a friend who is a Jeep A-tech and we discussed the cam failure issue. It seems cam issues are not limited to the hemi. Chrysler outsources their cams, they are not made in house. There are people in engineering who feel the issue has to do with the zinc reduction in the oil. He and other people I discussed this with and respect seem to agree. He suggests bumping up a grade to a 30 and using a high ZDDP oil, or Heaven forbid a ZDDP additive.
27.gif
I think it certainly won't hurt, and I would give it a shot. 1,200-1,500 ppm ZDDP seems to be the sweet spot according to what I've been told. Opinions vary. Flame suit on.

Originally Posted by wemay

His opponents are passionate about keeping the warranty intact with specified quality oils.

Another one with a reading comprehension problem. In the context of this thread, he did not.

Originally Posted by wemay

Another one with a reading comprehension problem. In the context of this thread, he did not.

Throwing insults at a respected member is not a way a new member gains respect here.

On second thought, are you really new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back