Helping our Babysitter: Diagnosing from 14(!!!) Engine Codes 2012 Hyundai Velostar

Hi all,

Our babysitter has a 2012 Velostar that we feel is entirely unsafe to drive. From what she's told us, it's been abused (friend forgot to put the oil cap back on drained all the oil from her engine and she didn't realize... for example. We offered to help her get a new vehicle (outside of paying her for babysitting/nannying), but she's refusing. I've worked on my own vehicles for ages and want to at least make her car safe / get rid of the engine codes. We're getting her set up with new tires but when I moved her car earlier this week, I noticed the CEL and plugged in my OBD II reader and got the following codes:
  • P0300 x3 Misfires
  • P0304 x3 Misfire Cylinder 4
  • P2196 x3 O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
  • P0303 x3 Misfire Cylinder 3
  • P0014 Camshaft Position B -- Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)
  • P0011 Camshaft Position A -- Timing Over Advanced or System Performance Bank 1
  • P0420 Catalyst system inefficient
I cleared these codes, started the car again and let it run for a few, and then read the codes again and got misfires and O2 sensor:
  • P0300
  • P0304
  • P2196
  • P0303
She's about to embark on a 1200 mile roundtrip road trip by herself (today is Wednesday, she's leaving Saturday) so I wanted to do at least something to help her out.

My first thoughts are new plugs, coils, and O2 sensors (which I've ordered and can confidently do myself).

Anyone else have thoughts?

It's likely that the misfires are causing the other problems. Start with the basics and shuffle the coils around and see if the misfires follow the coils. If they do then start with replacing the coils and plugs. Don't buy cheap junk - spend the coin and get OE or OEM parts.

One more vote for the misfires causing most (if not all) of the issues.
Along with the things others mentioned, it could be intake valve deposits.
Might want to look at the intake and see how bad it looks.
I had decent results with intake cleaning additives on port injection engines, but
if this is direct injection only it might be more difficult.

I would leave it alone. Maybe steer her to a shop, that’s about it.
She sounds like she knows what she’s doing, even though she doesn’t. So let her find out. We don’t need to be a white knight to every damsel in distress.
My desire to help is selfish... she lives and hour away. If she has no vehicle, we have no nanny. I've been asking her to get it checked out for a while now and she won't. She's 19 and well... making 19 year old decisions about her money and car and seems to not have anyone in her family willing or able to help her out.

Last edited:
Very similar thread recently, https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/call-for-help.381395/ She's going on a 1200 mile trip? What happens if she breaks down half way? Who do you think she will blame for causing the real or imagined breakdown? You worked on it last, so your fault.
I thought about this. And willing to take the risk of the blame, though, I don't see how changing plugs and coils and O2 sensors could result in my blame. If I don't do anything to her car, she'll drive it like it is 1200 miles.

The fact that it was ran out of oil is my usual first signal to not go any futher. The misfires along with those particular timing codes indicates chain issues and possibly has jumped a tooth. This is a car not to throw the parts cannon at - but given plugs and coils are not that expensive go ahead and do that if you want but I am certain the timing codes are not going away.

The fact that it was ran out of oil is my usual first signal to not go any futher. The misfires along with those particular timing codes indicates chain issues and possibly has jumped a tooth. This is a car not to throw the parts cannon at - but given plugs and coils are not that expensive go ahead and do that if you want but I am certain the timing codes are not going away.
Thanks. Appreciate the sound advice. I'd no go further than the parts listed and truly do wish she'd take it to a shop, but see above... 19 year old making 19 year old decisions though being advised to do otherwise.
You mean she drives an hour each way to watch the kids? That's brutal. Have you thought of having her stay overnight for a few of those days?
She does yes. We grilled her about this while she was interviewing. We have a guest room and she has taken us up on the offer of staying twice. That said, where we live (Springfield, Missouri) has a lot of small town outside of town and we're the only "big town" around. Many, many people commute in for work. Not that this matters in this discussion, but she's in the process of finding her own place in town.

Reactions: wtd
You mean she drives an hour each way to watch the kids? That's brutal. Have you thought of having her stay overnight for a few of those days?
She's 19, you don't even know what kind of potential trouble you could be in by inviting a young women into your house and stay overnight. This is 2024, not the 90s.

My desire to help is selfish... she lives and hour away. If she has no vehicle, we have no nanny. I've been asking her to get it checked out for a while now and she won't. She's 19 and well... making 19 year old decisions about her money and car and seems to not have anyone in her family willing or able to help her out.
This is your key. If it's been going on for a while and she refuses to get it checked out, then don't come running to save her. Especially if you're the one who has been telling her to get it looked at. It will only reinforce that she can push off major issues (because misfires and bad O2 sensors are major issues when it comes to engine health and performance) and you'll just come running to save her.

Let the car die, and let her learn. It'll cause some problems when it does die, but it's likely the only way she will learn.

+1
I also don't see any issue with letting her stay overnight.
Especially since she's old enough to make her own decisions.
🤷‍♂️

Back