Help my Maxima... Badly sludged up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that is bad at all. Years ago they would sludge horribly. Here is something I don't think anyone else mentioned... other things cause engines to sludge up. I would check for other problems and repair if needed. Other than that, use good oil, follow the factory recommended oil change schedule, and enjoy the car.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Silver
Originally Posted by Trav
Just regular oil changes unless you are willing to pull the pan. If you want to go that rout its a fairly easy manual clean up job. I did this one some years ago.

Trav what oil did you use and for how long?

This was a quick and easy job on this Honda. Remove the pan (remove down pipe and pan bolts) remove the pickup, upper plenum and valve covers, put a big pan under the engine.

With a stiff parts brush work the cleaner into all the crevices but try to avoid the valve springs so you don't get too much on the seals. Do not leave it sitting too long 30 min then go back with the brush.
When its clean use kerosene with the brush on everything inc the springs to wash the cleaner down into the pan. Use the cleaner to clean the oil pan and pickup. Put it back together and do a couple of short OCI. This is the stuff I used, its been a few years since I first posted this and the engine has go over 100K more with zero issues.
Do not do this without removing the oil pan. There is a way to clean the pan on the car but that's another chapter.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...WAqGEAQYASABEgLLZvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back