Help me pick. 0w40 castrol edge euro or rl 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think it caused it though after reading my post again it sounds like i did. sorry. The car is much quieter after i installed the bushings. I really am partial to shell products( My Dad had 3 shell stations back in the 70's and 80's)and want to change my oil back to a sopus brand. any suggestions? im going to start another thread and see what yall think. Thanks NO DISRESPECT to Redline Oil. after i read alot of posts about these rocker trunnions failing im sure it had nothing to do with the oil.

Originally Posted By: 08z06
I dont think it caused it though after reading my post again it sounds like i did. sorry. The car is much quieter after i installed the bushings. I really am partial to shell products( My Dad had 3 shell stations back in the 70's and 80's)and want to change my oil back to a sopus brand. any suggestions? im going to start another thread and see what yall think. Thanks NO DISRESPECT to Redline Oil. after i read alot of posts about these rocker trunnions failing im sure it had nothing to do with the oil.

Originally Posted By: 08z06
well i went with redline 530 and the ticking got worse after about 500 miles!! i pulled a few of my rocker arms apart and noticed excessive wear in the trunnion. I installed bronze bushings on the rocker aerms and its MUCH quieter. I am going to change my oil because i think this redline caused some of this wear ????? Im thinking penzoil ultra 10w30. Any ideas?? thanks

I think you can see why we got that idea.

And BTW, there are a lot of reasons to choose or not choose an oil, but because your father owned a particular brand of stations 40 years ago is about as far from a valid technical reason as you can get.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

I think you can see why we got that idea.

And BTW, there are a lot of reasons to choose or not choose an oil, but because your father owned a particular brand of stations 40 years ago is about as far from a valid technical reason as you can get.

It might not be a choice based on the technical aspect of it, but a lot of people choose their oil based on an emotional connection (for instance, how many people buy a certain brand of oil because their favorite race car driver is sponsored by them?) There's certainly nothing wrong with that, and SOPUS makes some great oils, so it's not likely there will be a problem here.

Originally Posted By: Patman
It might not be a choice based on the technical aspect of it, but a lot of people choose their oil based on an emotional connection (for instance, how many people buy a certain brand of oil because their favorite race car driver is sponsored by them?) There's certainly nothing wrong with that, and SOPUS makes some great oils, so it's not likely there will be a problem here.

I suppose people do that, if they didn't then I'd wonder why the companies spend so much advertising those connections. It is a fundamentally silly reason but I agree it probably happens.

And I also agree that the SOPUS products will be fine. But so will other products that don't have an emotional connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back