Help me choose: Nokian WRG4 vs Outpost APT

Can't decide between these two. The Outpost is an on-road biased AT tire which is perfect for my needs (travel a lot on dirt roads/small trails in summer,and aramid sidewall for those deadly pothole seasons). The WRG4 offers better winter performance especially on ice, but looks like it will clog up with rocks after a while.

I'm also looking at Michellin CrossClimate2 but have heard the sidewall is pretty soft and doesn't stand up with potholes very well. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Vehicle: 2023 Nissan Rogue AWD

1.jpg
2.jpg

Aramid is Kevlar. There is nothing special about those walls. They emphasize pothole warranty as, well, they need marketing to stand out. They cannot use Kevlar name as DuPont holds rights and Goodyear is already using it.
If you want highway/terrain tire go Michelin Defender LTX2 which is coming out in October. Current Defender LTX is popular here in the winter and people actually use the current LTX as off-road tire too.
CC2 will be in a different category than Outpost. It is a passenger tire, lighter which will benefit mpg.
It seems good on road A/T tire and snow is Firestone Destination AT2.

And stronger sidewall will transmit more energy from pothole impact to the suspension and chassis. If you think tires or wheels are expensive wait for bill to fix bent suspension.

Krzyś

And stronger sidewall will transmit more energy from pothole impact to the suspension and chassis. If you think tires or wheels are expensive wait for bill to fix bent suspension.

Krzyś
That would have to be a crater of a pothole........like one or two feet deep.

Krzyś
I never had issues with Aramid sidewalls damaging my suspension when I hit a pothole at speed, with Nokians....never had a steel control arm get damaged.

The only tire that bubbled when I hit a pothole at speed was Pirelli P6 4-seasons (235/45r17). When I had Kumho ECSTA platinum LX (235/45r18) and hit a construction lip from repaving at faster speed at night, no damage to the suspension or wheels, but my driver side mirror lens fell off.

The other thing to note is, with the OP, 235/60 you still have a fairly tall sidewall, so it's going to need a lot of reinforcement plies to make it really stiff. Heck the sidewalls on my Nokian Hakka 9 SUV 235/65r18 tires are not stiff either, and it has the Aramid reinforced sidewalls.

Have had every iteration of the WRG series and highly recommend in general.

If you're doing a bunch of off roading though, might not go with it. It is a softer tire. Great for roads and fine around most of New England otherwise.

I have had Michelin Defenders and the previous Nokian Rotiiva ATs on my CR-V. I also have Nokian Outpost ATs on my Tacoma. The Nokians perform very, very well in snow. The Defenders, merely OK in snow, not great. With Nokian ATs I have zero need for snow tires. The Rotiivas are great in all weather, just a perfect match for a CUV. I’d imagine the Outpost APTs are as good.

I had Michelin Crossclimate SUVs on my CX5 and they were fantastic too, better grip than Defenders in all circumstances but they wear faster. Not quite as good in snow as the Nokians, but very good on wet and dry pavement.

Hope this helps. I’d buy the Outpost APTs with no hesitation.

The only thing to watch with Nokian is make sure you rotate . They get loud but great tire otherwise especially if a price break from mainstream choices.
Don't most tires get loud when worn unevenly?

Help me choose: Nokian WRG4 vs Outpost APT

The APT looks to have more chunky tread which could mean more noise on the pavement, if that's a consideration. But if you spend decent amount of time off pavement, then I agree with others that APT may fit the bill better.

BTW, congrats on the new Rogue. I had one as a rental recently and was quite impressed with it - a well put together SUV.

I've had my set of Outpost APT on for about a month now to access trailheads in SW British Columbia forest service roads. The FSRs I've been on were not of the severe category, more-less light-moderate off-road and range from well-graded gravel, to sharp shale, to moderately-rutted. And many potholes. Soils encountered ranged from silt to small boulders/shale (
For the intended purposes of a light-duty off-road tire, the Outpost APT shined. Whereas the PSAS4 would give me a jarring ride, the APT (sized down, but same wheel diameter overall) really helped to smooth out the ride. There was not a hint of sidewall abrasion, wear, or slitting. On the highway, yes there is more sidewall flex naturally and of course the tires don't hook up to the pavement as aggressively as the PSAS4 during hard stopping or acceleration. This is to be expected. However, they hung unto corners far better than I expected. I could not detect any difference in fuel economy between the APT or PSAS4. I inflate both sets 4 PSI above placard.

If you value on-road handling and traction, then the CC2 approaches the PSAS4. But you'd be trading off light off-road.

I believe you've already considered my original review. My original findings still stand.

If you can get two different sets of tires, I'd strongly recommend this instead.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I've had my set of Outpost APT on for about a month now to access trailheads in SW British Columbia forest service roads. The FSRs I've been on were not of the severe category, more-less light-moderate off-road and range from well-graded gravel, to sharp shale, to moderately-rutted. And many potholes. Soils encountered ranged from silt to small boulders/shale (
For the intended purposes of a light-duty off-road tire, the Outpost APT shined. Whereas the PSAS4 would give me a jarring ride, the APT (sized down, but same wheel diameter overall) really helped to smooth out the ride. There was not a hint of sidewall abrasion, wear, or slitting. On the highway, yes there is more sidewall flex naturally and of course the tires don't hook up to the pavement as aggressively as the PSAS4 during hard stopping or acceleration. This is to be expected. However, they hung unto corners far better than I expected. I could not detect any difference in fuel economy between the APT or PSAS4. I inflate both sets 4 PSI above placard.

If you value on-road handling and traction, then the CC2 approaches the PSAS4. But you'd be trading off light off-road.

I believe you've already considered my original review. My original findings still stand.

If you can get two different sets of tires, I'd strongly recommend this instead.

Good luck!

I saw both of your summer and winter reviews and they really helped me a lot. I'm also impressed with what the little Kona can do. Now I'm pretty much set on the Nokian APT, just waiting for them to go on sale in October.

I saw both of your summer and winter reviews and they really helped me a lot. I'm also impressed with what the little Kona can do. Now I'm pretty much set on the Nokian APT, just waiting for them to go on sale in October.
Thanks for this.

Yeah, re the Kona, it also had to go over some 15-20 cm deep water bar crossings. The Kona doesn't have especially high clearance (7.5") and lower when loaded. It wasn't a big deal though with the proper off-roading technique (approach diagonal, exit opposite diagonal). But for sure, I felt better with the APTs on rather than the PSAS4s.

Has anyone seen the Nokian Remedy WRG5? When are they going to be available? WRG4 is discontinued.

Attachments

• IMG_2949.jpeg
    IMG_2949.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 34
Back