Hello E15, how are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wish there was a way too stop this i cant wate too see my mpg with this junk not that my titan gets good mpg in the first place it would be one thing if it was a lot cheaper but you know it wont bee

I fear for the continued longevity of my '89 Accord.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: defektes
and the environmentalists strike again!

It's not environmentalists. It's the corn lobby.

Originally Posted By: defektes
and the environmentalists strike again!

Dude, it's the corn lobby. Thank them for buying this into reality. The enviros are against this due to the higher pesticide and fossil water use.

I don't think we'll see E15 at stations anytime soon, if at all. Here's why:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article...-may-not-notice

Quote:
...stores and gas stations must decide if they want to invest up to $25,000 for new tank and gasoline dispensing systems to accommodate the new fuel.

One who already has made up his mind is Roz Jalali, owner of a Conoco station in West Des Moines, who said: "I'm not going to put in an E15 pump even if they legalize it. It's too expensive. I'll just keep selling the 10 percent blend."

Invest up to $25,000 for something some drivers don't want, and many others won't know or care about? It won't happen.

I too think that while a very limited number of stations will carry this E15 my bet is that the legislation will be of the "paper tiger" variety...while the rules might be there...there will be no legal way to enforce them..

I SAY GOOD!

What confuses me is the ever higher demand for more miles per gallon when the use of any ethanol blend lowers miles per gallon! HUH? Depending on the blend MPG can drop from 5% to 25% so how can this mix meet the upcoming government mandates for higher MPG's?

Don't forget that for some mpg calculations like CAFE, you only count the GASOLINE that's used to cover a given route. Even if the actual fuel mpg that an owner sees goes down, the CAFE (gasoline) mpg is likely to stay the same or increase because the the fuel only has 85% gasoline in it.

This is not much other than large agri-business getting what it wants: government approval/endorsement to move more of it's product.

That said, diversity in fuel feedstock is a good thing, it's just corn is the wrong feedstock because it's fertilizer/pesticide/water/petroleum inputs are huge. I'm all for ethanol if we can get it from something with a positive net energy balance.

Rtexasf - It has actually been shown that some engines get better mpg on E20 - E25 blends than E0. If an engine is built to take advantage of the higher octane, it's possible to almost as much mpg on E85 as E0, due to extracting energy from the fuel more efficiently. It's just 87 octane [censored] E10 and E15 blends, and engines not tuned ideally for them that suffer large mpg hits. Otherwise, it's a pretty small difference.

I plan on trying a couple of tanks of E85 in the Jeep at some point to see what kind of mpg it gets (high timing advance, needs 91 octane minimum). I'm sure it will be worse, but I don't know how much worse. Never tried before, as I couldn't get E85 back home, but I can up here in Rochester.

I do agree that Ethanol needs to be made from better sources than corn, however.

Nice point. But that's a BIG "if".

Your Jeep won't be one of them getting that 'good' mileage.

I own a bunch of different cars and trucks and only one can be tuned well for corn likker fuel.

It's still a political football, period. No real world advantage at all.

Last edited:
Unless we do a Brazil where most cars can run on any mixture of ethanol and gasoline. Even then, some yahoo would buy a a gas only car and fill it with E95, then sue because they were an idiot who didn't read the pump.

This isnt only something that will effect gas and corn prices but food in general.If you look at what is in most of the foods we eat,you will probably find a corn product.This is something that will have a huge impact on everyone.It was also reported by SEMA that this is to effect cars from 2000 and newer.It would not be a real suprise to find out that any car that is unable to use E15 to be banned from being used as a daily driver and be considered a hobby type car and limited to when and where it can be driven.

^^what motorguy said. Even "backwards" countries like Mexico don't allow you to bring in 1990s pickups i.e. 1994'yota 22re even with low miles anymore.

I hate to do it but ill play middle of the road. Nothing wrong with retro-modding and retrofitting to keep historical vehicles on the road. A 1989 honda isn't historical but to rebuild a whole fuel system is still cheaper than 3 car payments on a new honda. Just don't group driving cars with taking away guns or something it's not even close.

Originally Posted By: Anies
E15 is tragic. Seriously why are they cramming this garbage down our throats.

Probably the same reason they built huge wind farms in West Texas without the infrastructure to carry the electricity they generate to any major population centers.

The intent is good. The actual outcome is a bunch of big bird killing blades on the high plains spinning aimlessly.

and how exactly will this work? LOL.

All pump manufactuers are going to add another "pump" to their pumps, for "E-15 for 2007 and newer cars"?

Or like the truck stops have it, seperate pumps for the E-15 crowd? Actually, I'd be more happy with that approach.....so I don't get left over E-15 into my tank.....I don't think my 88 Aries will like it at all.....

I'll definitely have to consider a UCL (MMO for the win) for real....lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back