Heating oil no longer dyed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody told me that heating oil is no longer going to be dyed red due to the fact that the dye causes problems with the injectors on certain high efficiency furnaces. Does anybody know if this is true? Doesn't seem likely to me but I am curious. I can't find anything with google...

Here in ultra regulation NY and my last delivery was 3 weeks ago and it was dyed.

I was told by the guy who cleaned my oil burner that the state police have special goggles that they can use and see the dye in the diesel truck exhaust if a trucker tries to use it for diesel fuel. While they are driving down the road.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I was told by the guy who cleaned my oil burner that the state police have special goggles that they can use and see the dye in the diesel truck exhaust if a trucker tries to use it for diesel fuel. While they are driving down the road.

If you believe that, then I have some oceanfront property in Iowa that I am basically giving away. Only $250 per acre, must buy 10 acres at a time, but the memories will make it worth it. Please let me know ASAP how many 10 acre parcels you want. [email protected]

Once I asked a local steam railway what they used, and was told it was #2 fuel oil. I was specifically told it was dyed red and about not having to pay highway fuel taxes for #2 diesel, which it was supposed to be identical to. I was also told they use all sorts of caustic chemicals to clean out the boilers of scale and to remove the crud from the firebox. I think a bit of red dye burning is the least of their issues keeping the equipment running.

However, I'm wondering where they get the stuff, since nobody uses it for home heating. Disneyland doesn't even bother and uses regular 'ol diesel to blend into their B98 for the Disneyland Railroad. OTOH - it's probably not much and paying an insignificant amount of taxes might be good for publicity.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
I think a bit of red dye burning is the least of their issues keeping the equipment running.

Talking about high efficiency home heating oil furnaces, which I'm sure have very very different injection systems from a train.

However, I'm wondering where they get the stuff, since nobody uses it for home heating. Disneyland doesn't even bother and uses regular 'ol diesel to blend into their B98 for the Disneyland Railroad. OTOH - it's probably not much and paying an insignificant amount of taxes might be good for publicity.

I'm sure they use offroad diesel for all sorts of things besides heating. If you own a train, or disneyland, you can probably order whatever you desire. People that use undyed fuel for tax exempt uses can simply apply for a tax refund.

There are many places around me that sell off-road fuel. There must be a pretty good break on taxes since, supposedly, a lot of people use it in their road vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
There are many places around me that sell off-road fuel. There must be a pretty good break on taxes since, supposedly, a lot of people use it in their road vehicles.

24.4 cents Federal, 20-30 cents state. (.30 in Oregon)

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Originally Posted By: Donald

If you believe that, then I have some oceanfront property in Iowa that I am basically giving away. Only $250 per acre, must buy 10 acres at a time, but the memories will make it worth it. Please let me know ASAP how many 10 acre parcels you want. [email protected]

Ill take 20 please, sure beats paying 10,000 an acre. lol

Switched to propane when disels was hitting $4 plus & $380 for furl oil, diesel seemed to heat much better & suppoae to have 3x btu so for $2.50 a gallon I think I should have stuck with diesel!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Number21
I think a bit of red dye burning is the least of their issues keeping the equipment running.

Talking about high efficiency home heating oil furnaces, which I'm sure have very very different injection systems from a train.

I'm sure they use offroad diesel for all sorts of things besides heating. If you own a train, or disneyland, you can probably order whatever you desire. People that use undyed fuel for tax exempt uses can simply apply for a tax refund.

Now that I think of it, since it is essentially just #2 diesel, they probably get it from the same places where you get diesel. Or at the very least fuel distributors would have no problem just having dyes added. We've got four major refineries nearby, and all produce diesel. It probably wouldn't be that big deal for them to divert some of this for off-road use.

And I found something on the IRS taxation of fuels:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p510/ch01.html

Disneyland doesn't even bother and uses regular 'ol diesel to blend into their B98 for the Disneyland Railroad. OTOH - it's probably not much and paying an insignificant amount of taxes might be good for publicity.

It might help them with logistic in the middle of a city to get local diesel, vs having to haul all the way from somewhere in small volume. If tax is what they are concerned about, they can just apply for refund at the year end (or don't even bother if it is a small amount, say less than the accounting overhead).

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Disneyland doesn't even bother and uses regular 'ol diesel to blend into their B98 for the Disneyland Railroad. OTOH - it's probably not much and paying an insignificant amount of taxes might be good for publicity.

It might help them with logistic in the middle of a city to get local diesel, vs having to haul all the way from somewhere in small volume. If tax is what they are concerned about, they can just apply for refund at the year end (or don't even bother if it is a small amount, say less than the accounting overhead).

Now that I think of it, the way to do it would be the same way that fuel wholesalers do it. They would simply purchase it on the spot market as diesel #2 but where the dye is added and the fuel taxes unpaid. They'd just have a storage tank on site and have a tanker drop it off. They're already set up for all sorts of nontraditional fuels, like CNG to power their trams. I mean - they were actually pretty clean. I remember breathing in the exhaust from their leaded gasoline powered trams in the 1980s, thinking that it must cause cancer to breathe that stuff in.

My understanding the logistics issue with Disneyland getting fuel for their steam locomotives isn't the diesel but that they don't produce enough waste oil and have to buy it from around the area. While they have lots of deep fryers, it probably only supplies them with about half of their needs.

I'm seriously thinking of switching to #2. My burner and furnace was built to run both 1 and 2. Not to mention 2 is .35¢ cheaper where I live!

Dyed fuel doesn't hurt anything on a domestic oil burner. No ones switching to undyed fuel because of any such thing. There is somewhat of a myth that K-1 kero which is dyed (not the same as #2diesel/heating oil/fuel oil) causes wicks in ventless kerosene heaters to foul quicker than water clear kero; This, in studies, has never proven to be true.

Off-road diesel is the same as heating oil #2 and this is why it's available pretty much anywhere in the country.

Now that that's out of the way, #2 heating oil, while expensive, is substantially less $$ per btu delivered than propane or K-1 kero. There's a lot of people pushing propane over heating oil in upstate NY and there's a lot of people not happy that they're spending MORE to heat their home than with oil; heating companies love it, more repair $$, not as DIY friendly, tank/equipment rental fees, and, the customer is buying more fuel.

it is all about taxes,
heating = diesel, maybe missing some addy.
if you maintain a log and pay the state and feds your taxes by actual gallons or miles driven and keep a copy of the taxes you are in the clean.
I am planning on making a bio facility sometime in the future and the same rules apply, you still need to pay the taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back