Headlight Replacement, What Version to Choose?

Hey all, got a burnt out low beam on my 2012 Mazda6 with stock H7 halogens. Looking on AdvanceAuto website they have Sylvania Silver Star Ultra, Silverstar, Silverstar XtraVision, and Basic... I was wondering if it is worth getting anything "better" than the Basic. I see the Silverstars are rated very low at around 125 and 150 hours which seems pretty low as I drive mostly at night for work... I was looking for a little bit better light but not sure if I want to be changing them out every few months since it is kinda of a pain to get to the low beams on my car going through the inner fender....

I would like to stick with what AdvanceAuto has for this go around since I have a $20 off coupon SpeedPerk to use so I can get them pretty cheap this time...

I was debating getting a set of LED off amazon the 1:1 that is suppose to have an identical light pattern and cut off as stock halogens but read some reviews of them being actually DIMMER than halogens... Just looking for some info or if I should just throw in anotehr set of Basics...

Last edited:
This is always a trade off between performance vs lamp life. Aftermarket bulbs are running the filament at a higher temperature hence they produce a whiter light. So if you buy top of the range bulbs with the most claimed light output like night breakers etc then they will burn out soonest. The lesser bulbs in any manufacturers range will usually last longest. Silver stars are the lowest rung in the Osram range and as such I've found that they last for years while still providing an improvement over the oem bulbs.

I've tried the the brighter bulbs and the little bit of extra light isn't worth the additional cost and drastically reduced life. I'd recommend getting the standard Phillips bulbs. For me, the Sylvania bulbs don't last anywhere near as long as the Phillips bulbs. Of course, YMMV.

I have had terrible experiences with Sylvania regardless of which variety. They burn out much too fast for what we pay for them. If I remember correctly, even the cheapest basic bulb was over $20.00. I purchased Wagner bulbs from Rock Auto at about $2.75 per bulb and they have served me well. I use my high beams quite a bit due to the deer population around me and I still haven't burned a bulb in so long I can't even remember. I'll probably change them out once a year just to have fresh bulbs in there!
To me, they seem just as bright as the Sylvania at a literal fraction of the cost and they last considerably longer. I highly recommend giving them a try. Even if you aren't satisfied, you've invested the same money you'd spend on a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

So with my coupon I can get the XtraVision for 18 bucks for both or the basics for 10 bucks... debating trying out the XtraVision this time around. I wouldnt mind replacing them yearly but its such a pain removing the inner fender

So with my coupon I can get the XtraVision for 18 bucks for both or the basics for 10 bucks... debating trying out the XtraVision this time around. I wouldnt mind replacing them yearly but its such a pain removing the inner fender
Get the Sylvania XtraVision for the best bang-for-the buck. It is longer lasting and slightly brighter than the basic bulb. The XtraVision should last several years as compared to the SilverStars which typically die within a year.

Buy them from Advance Auto online and enter the "FEBDEAL" 15% discount code before applying your $20 SpeedPerks reward.

Sylvania had a class action lawsuit regarding the SS bulbs failing prematurely. I got a check for a whooping $10 or so. I've gone with stock ever since. Don't fall to the marketing hype.

They have projector lows in them correct? HID kit from TRS. User on another forum gets the these HYB ballasts from Amazon and the Morimoto HID bulbs from TRS. The H7 HID I put in my Sonata were great BUT make sure aimed correctly after. I replaced a couple bulbs/ballasts over the years but a lot less than the Silverstar or other Halogen in other cars I had. My vote is 5k bulbs with 55W ballasts, brings color to about 4500k not glaring bright white of LED. That is what I have in my Accord and my sons Forte.

The LED's I put in my daughters car and my high beams on Accord "rotate" so you can can get the beam pattern. I posted some pictures yesterday HERE and next page. LED's don't create heat in housing so won't melt snow. Might be an issue night time driving in PA.

Hey all, got a burnt out low beam on my 2012 Mazda6 with stock H7 halogens. Looking on AdvanceAuto website they have Sylvania Silver Star Ultra, Silverstar, Silverstar XtraVision, and Basic... I was wondering if it is worth getting anything "better" than the Basic. I see the Silverstars are rated very low at around 125 and 150 hours which seems pretty low as I drive mostly at night for work... I was looking for a little bit better light but not sure if I want to be changing them out every few months since it is kinda of a pain to get to the low beams on my car going through the inner fender....

I would like to stick with what AdvanceAuto has for this go around since I have a $20 off coupon SpeedPerk to use so I can get them pretty cheap this time...

I was debating getting a set of LED off amazon the 1:1 that is suppose to have an identical light pattern and cut off as stock halogens but read some reviews of them being actually DIMMER than halogens... Just looking for some info or if I should just throw in anotehr set of Basics...
The American spec silverstars keep burning out so much sylvania returned customer money. Look for the Euro silver stars or GE has a number of great bulbs on Walmart's website that are a definite step up.

I really love Philips Xtreme Vision, you can really tell the difference in light range. But is always a trade off with lamp life

Reactions: hrv
The American spec silverstars keep burning out so much sylvania returned customer money. Look for the Euro silver stars or GE has a number of great bulbs on Walmart's website that are a definite step up.
GE nightvision was a good one...not sure if they still make it...also Philips xteme vision....

GE nightvision was a good one...not sure if they still make it...also Philips xteme vision....
I have the clear Philips extreme vision in my neon. That in combination with polishing the headlight lenses helped considerably.

Reactions: hrv
Sylvania Basic is the way to go. Same lumens as all the upgraded Sylvania bulbs but they last way longer.

Putting some numbers to bulb life using Osram datasheets (I've always thought of Sylvania as the cheap rubbish).
The first number is when 6% of bulbs will have failed and the 2nd number when 63% will have failed.

OEM 330/550 hours

Silverstar 250/450 hours

Nightbreaker unlimited 150/250 hours

If you can easily change your bulbs parked somewhere at night in an emergency, get the Silverstar Ultra. Brilliant light bulbs. As "white" as you can get without killing lumens (mimicks more or less a 4300K HID but not quite there), has a stronger "punch" at night, it's a bit wider so you see the sides a little better. Generally, they're almost identical to the Osram NightBreakers but they're just in USA packaging as Sylvania. They won't last as long as OEM though, if you're a normal driver who occasionally drives a night, you'll get 2 years out of them easily.

However, if it's a pain in the ass to change your bulbs in an emergency, and or you drive at night a lot -- I'd get the Xtravisions. Nice bright light with more life than SSU. The light is actually quite "white", even without a coating for some reason. You'll love these especially if it rains at night. Normal driving, you'll get 5 years easily.

Back