HDMI input of All-In-One : Input not working , why not ?

Hooked up old tower P.C. to HDMI input of new LENOVO All-In-One P.C. using a V.G.A. ( female ) to HDMI ( male ) adapter .
IMG_5238.JPG

Last edited:
Hooked up old tower P.C. to HDMI input of new LENOVO All-In-One P.C. using a V.G.A. ( female ) to HDMI ( male ) adapter . View attachment 29242

I'm going to bet that what you think is an HDMI input is an HDMI OUTPUT on the Lenovo. I've never had an AIO that had an HDMI input, they have all been outputs to connect a 2nd screen.

Last edited:
" I'm going to bet that what you think is an HDMI input is an HDMI OUTPUT on the Lenovo. I've never had an AIO that had an HDMI input, they have all been outputs to connect a 2nd screen. "

It's a HDMI INPUT , then the other is OUT .
IMG_5304.JPG

Last edited:
" I use this adapter to fo VGA to HDMI. Works great, even pulls audio from USB. "

Thanks , this looks to be part of the solution . Will need this VGA Female to Female connector in between the male VGA from old P.C. to male of the CABLE MATTERS VGA to HDMI converter . Then a HDMI cable from female of Hope this is correct . Pictures are in sequence of connection needed .
IMG_5298.JPG
IMG_5307.JPG
IMG_5305.JPG
IMG_5309.JPG
IMG_5314.JPG
IMG_5304.JPG
IMG_5312.JPG

Last edited:
" I'm going to bet that what you think is an HDMI input is an HDMI OUTPUT on the Lenovo. I've never had an AIO that had an HDMI input, they have all been outputs to connect a 2nd screen. "

It's an HDMI is an INPUT , then the other is OUT .View attachment 29329

That's actually pretty cool, none of the ones I've ever used have had both, just typically an HDMI or DisplayPort output to connect a 2nd screen.

Thanks , this looks to be part of the solution . Will need this VGA Female to Female connector in between the male VGA from old P.C. to male of the CABLE MATTERS VGA to HDMI converter . Hope this is correct . Pictures are in sequence of connection needed .
img_5310-jpg.29336
You're making it harder than it needs to be.
First, that's a USB cable in the picture above. It does not plug into HDMI port. It plugs into an available USB port (or USB power supply) to supply the adapter with power.

Second, all you need is just a VGA to HDMI adapter (like the one I linked to or like the one dishdude linked to) and a regular HDMI to HDMI cable. And then use the USB cable that the adapter comes with to plug it into available USB port for power source. You don't need a "VGA gender changer".

Also to note, VGA is only for video. It does not send audio. If you'd want to send audio from your old PC to your AIO, you would need a separate 3.5mm audio cable. The adapter that I linked to has that 3.5mm audio input and audio cable already included.

Last edited:
Yes , regular HDMI cable between the adapter / converter and input of P.C. ( V Pictured below V ) . Need the VGA female to female to connect male VGA of old PC to male VGA of the Cable Matters adapter / converter . ^ Pictured above ^ .
IMG_5312.JPG
IMG_5314.JPG
IMG_5304.JPG

Yes , regular HDMI cable between the adapter / converter and input of PC . Need the VGA female to female to connect male VGA of old PC to male VGA of the Cable Matters adapter / converter . ^ Pictured above ^ . View attachment 29342View attachment 29343View attachment 29344
I think the idea is that you plug the cable matters unit directly into your old PC's VGA port and then run the HDMI cable from that to the new machine, no VGA cable required.

I think the idea is that you plug the cable matters unit directly into your old PC's VGA port and then run the HDMI cable from that to the new machine, no VGA cable required.
I over thought this , you look to be right . This stuff drives me 🤪 . So , no female to female VGA connector needed .

Why? Doesn't your old PC have a female VGA port? The VGA-to-HDMI adapter has a male VGA port, so it should plug directly into your old PC's VGA port.
Oops !!! Forgot the old PC has a female connector . Like the song goes , I hate MONDAYS ! 🙃 No female > female connector between the VGA male connections . Saves $4.50 too . :)

Last edited:
" I use this adapter to fo VGA to HDMI. Works great, even pulls audio from USB. "

Hooked it up last night and video works well . The audio works through the speakers of the All-In-One and not with the external speakers . Why is that ?

Dishdude , thanks for pointing out this item . All others input as well .(y)

Hooked it up last night and video works well . The audio works through the speakers of the All-In-One and not with the external speakers . Why is that ?
Do you mean the audio works through the PC speakers instead of the speakers that are connected to the All-in-One?

If so, that's because VGA does not pass audio information. VGA is video signal only.

You need to use an audio cable to send audio from your PC to the All-in-One. The adapter I recommended up above had a combined VGA/audio connection that muxes it up and sends a combined video/audio stream out via HDMI to your All-in-One. But it sounds like you did not purchase that adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/FOINNEX-Converter-Computer-Projector-Portable/dp/B07121Y1Z3

61WsyMdTGCL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Last edited:
Back