HDEO's make good high mileage oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I posted elsewhere (one thread below at the moment), I've just purchased a 93 Altima for 500 smackers. It has 352000 kms. The guy I'm buying it from has had it for about 9 years, He's an older guy so he probably didn't abuse it, he used the car to go back and forth to work so most of the mileage he accumulated were highway miles. I fired it up when I was looking at it and the motor is silent as far as engine noise. It's been sitting for about a year, but it's been started and driven occasionally. I'm not going to be getting it on the road for a while, I'm broke right now, but before I do, I'm changing the oil. I've read several comments on various other websites and message boards that the KA24DE has a tendency to shear oils. I figure with my high mileage engine, I don't want the oil to shear down, the motor needs the extra protection a heavier oil would provide. I was thinking of running some Esso XD-3 synthetic 0w40 and a Quaker State oil filter, Maybe a Baldwin if they're not too expensive. Would this oil and filter combo work well in my well-seasoned engine?

Shhhh. Don't give this secret away to everyone!
grin.gif
LOL If your car isn't consumin oil, the HDEO's are are great choice, if not the best choice for the price. The only "gotcha" I can foresee is cold weather starts, this is where a 5w HM oil would probably do much better than a 15w-40 HDEO.

I think you are on the right track.
I use Shell Rotella Synthetic (5W-40) in my high-mileage GMC Jimmy with complete satisfaction despite GM's insistence upon using only 30 weight oils. Cold starts have improved and mpg is actually better too.

Seeing as you live in Canada the XD-3 0W-40 HDEO is a excellent choice. However the XD-3 0W-30 is supposedly about the same price and carries a CI-4 rating (HDEO) and is a full PAO Group IV synthetic also. I am a little concerned about introducing 218,000 mi seals to Synthetic for the first time though.

Gene

[ October 11, 2004, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Gene K ]

Cruise down the states and load your car with Rotella T-Syn 5W40 1 gallon jugs.

Hopefully your not to far north.

This way you get good cold starts and the Canadian govt does not sock you with high taxes on your oil product.

Your wiseand well read for considering a HDEO.

Nearest US border to me is about 2 hours away, depending on how fast I go. Too bad stores around here don't sell different diesel oil weights. All I can find are 15w40 and synthetic 0Wxx, although Canadian tire does sell a 10w30 Motomaster diesel engine oil. I wonder if that stuff is any good.

although Canadian tire does sell a 10w30 Motomaster diesel engine oil. I wonder if that stuff is any good. .

That deserves a new post.

Its quite interesting to find no name oils that are actually premium stuff by the big bottles.

There are quite a few in the know canadians here which would delight in figuring what MotoMaster is.

XD3 100 POA syn oil has a pour point of -57F or -48C, so does the 0-40 XD3, those are tough specs to beat. The visc rate at 100C on 0-30 is 12.1, 0-40 is 15.7. These are heavy duty oils with great flow rate for the harshest cold starting cond I could imagine. I think the 0-40 may be too heavy duty in XD3 syn format for most smaller engine's clearances. This oil has a TBN or 12.2, most SL/gas rated oils I have seen are about 8.6 TBN. This 0-40 and 0-30 is CI-4/Sl rated oil.
3.71 per litre 100% POA syn oil is steal compared to any syn SL oil ranging from 6.00 to 8.00 per litre.

55, I noticed in another post you found XD3 0-30 jug at Walmart for $22.00, you get the same oil at Esso bulk for $14.00 jug, the 0-40 is $4.20 litre at Esso too.

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back