HDEO in 284k miles Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

Yes it could increase consumption, but depending on the cause it could reduce it. If it does burn it faster then you can just top off with a thicker oil

I'd just run the cheapest oil you can get for it, as long as consumption doesn't go up drastically.

I wouldn´t use the cheapest oil considering the consumption, I still need a good oil so the engine last another 200k miles.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Can you get good oil there easily? I would run whatever is most likely to be the best quality and worry about grade after that.

Great idea, I will try different brands

When the pistons were replaced, were the cylinders machined? Guaranteed the cylinders are not straight/round with that kind of mileage on it.

If the cylinders were not machined, no oil choice is going to fix the consumption.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
What do you mean you don't have a thermostat? No wonder you are having so many issues.

I am guessing he has simply removed the thermostat and running a lukewarm engine with full coolant circulation at all times.

Yes, this is not good for the engine at all. Not only it will make humming sounds and performance will suffer but running with cool oil will lead to many engine and oil issues. Additives aren't being activated and the contaminants aren't evaporating among other things. Engines and oil are designed to operate at a certain normal operating temperature.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
What do you mean you don't have a thermostat? No wonder you are having so many issues.

I am guessing he has simply removed the thermostat and running a lukewarm engine with full coolant circulation at all times.

Yes, this is not good for the engine at all. Not only it will make humming sounds and performance will suffer but running with cool oil will lead to many engine and oil issues. Additives aren't being activated and the contaminants aren't evaporating among other things. Engines and oil are designed to operate at a certain normal operating temperature.

It will take forever to get up to full operating temp, and when it does get up to temperature, it will create boiling spots inside the engine at the cylinders. By pumping against a restriction (the thermostat when fully open) it increases the localised pressure between the pump and the restriction. That increases the boiling point in the critical areas around the cylinders. Running without a thermostat can lead to the engine boiling over once it gets up to operating temp.
See it often with racecars. Guys think they are being smart and remove the thermostat and wonder why the engine overheats. If you really don't want a thermostat, put a restrictor in where the thermostat goes, and it will fix it.

Last edited:

I can vouch for that...I bought a Holden V-8 that had had the thermostat removed.

The valve guides were rooted...you could move the heads 0.040" with the springs off, and the bores, particularly the front cylinders were extremely worn with huge ring ridges.

Cold running is very very bad.

It will take forever to get up to full operating temp

Actually it will never reach the normal operating temperature, especially when you are driving on the freeway.

A long time ago, the thermostat in my Corolla had got stuck open and I experienced this problem. The engine would run ice-cold on the freeway.

When the pistons were replaced, were the cylinders machined? Guaranteed the cylinders are not straight/round with that kind of mileage on it.

If the cylinders were not machined, no oil choice is going to fix the consumption.

They weren´t machined. They supossedly didn´t need it, that was what the mechanic said, you can see in the Toyota Nation Forums a 7AFE with 300k miles that was opened and the cylinders were in good shape and he didn´t machined the cylinders neither.

But I don´t feel annoyed by the consumption, it has a very high mileage

It will take forever to get up to full operating temp, and when it does get up to temperature, it will create boiling spots inside the engine at the cylinders. By pumping against a restriction (the thermostat when fully open) it increases the localised pressure between the pump and the restriction. That increases the boiling point in the critical areas around the cylinders. Running without a thermostat can lead to the engine boiling over once it gets up to operating temp.
See it often with racecars. Guys think they are being smart and remove the thermostat and wonder why the engine overheats. If you really don't want a thermostat, put a restrictor in where the thermostat goes, and it will fix it.

It takes like 10 to 15 minutes to reach operating temp, I know it´s not the best for the engine, but it has been 5 years this way without problems, the last overheat was caused by faulty radiator cap, not the lack of thermostat.

Thanks, to everyone you made me realize how stupid is to run without thermostat, I´m sure that was what caused the wear that is the responsible of my oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back