Havoline PRO-RS : sustainably sourced plant-based oil

Bud_One

Site Donor 2022

Chevron Products Company to Debut Havoline® PRO-RS™ Renewable Full Synthetic Motor Oil, Chevron’s First-Ever Renewable Passenger Car Motor Oil Offering​

This gonna end up like Valvoline NextGen oil ?

I’m curious if John Q. Public actually, truly wants an oil that does not come out of the ground or is perceived to be manufactured in a lab by combining a few molecules.
Look how G-Oil fared. Anybody tried to look at their stock price lately?

I’m curious if John Q. Public actually, truly wants an oil that does not come out of the ground or is perceived to be manufactured in a lab by combining a few molecules.
Look how G-Oil fared. Anybody tried to look at their stock price lately?

Well the original Mobil 1 did okay...

Well the original Mobil 1 did okay...
Perhaps I fat-fingered my response and it was not perceived as I meant it to sound. I feel a lot of old-school oil buyers want their oil to come from crude pumped out of the ground OR they think all good synthetic oil is wonderful because (they think) it is magically produced from atomic table ingredients in a lab that produces synthetic motor oil. I feel that most uninformed oil buyers do not want a plant-based motor oil. JMO. The market will tell us eventually.

Perhaps I fat-fingered my response and it was not perceived as I meant it to sound. I feel a lot of old-school oil buyers want their oil to come from crude pumped out of the ground OR they think all good synthetic oil is wonderful because (they think) it is magically produced from atomic table ingredients in a lab that produces synthetic motor oil. I feel that most uninformed oil buyers do not want a plant-based motor oil. JMO. The market will tell us eventually.
I'm an older guy and I will love it if it outperforms what is available now. If about the same, then it needs to at least be the same price or less to make me bite. But the PDS and data from the supplier look pretty good, from what I see.

I contacted Havoline technical support today to ask if their Havoline Pro-RS Lifelong Full Synthetic oil is similar to a High Mileage oil since they advertise this oil as having seal conditioning agents just as they do on their High Mileage oils. Their reply: "The RS is a different base stock and does not use the esters as the high mileage oil/" I further asked if the seal conditioning agents in the Pro-RS oils would have a swelling effect on engine components such as O-rings, gaskets, and seals and this is what they said: "The seals will not know what oil you are putting in. Modern oils do not rely on seal swell agents. The synthetic base stock works differently. Modern cars engines using modern oils do not require seal agents. The seals are made better also." On Havoline's web site regarding the Havoline Pro-RS Lifelong Full Synthetic oils that will be sold exclusively at Walmart, there is an article that clearly states that this new oil is an addition to the High Mileage oils except that the new RS type can be also used on new cars. Something does not add up. When I asked the Havoline rep if the new RS oil was just a rebranding of one of their other oils, I received zero reply and was completely ignored. What are your thoughts on this new oil? Is it really just a different full synthetic oil or a high mileage oil or maybe a combination of the two? I did not fully understand the Havoline's rep answers and ended up just as confused as before I started my chat with him.

I contacted Havoline technical support today to ask if their Havoline Pro-RS Lifelong Full Synthetic oil is similar to a High Mileage oil since they advertise this oil as having seal conditioning agents just as they do on their High Mileage oils. Their reply: "The RS is a different base stock and does not use the esters as the high mileage oil/" I further asked if the seal conditioning agents in the Pro-RS oils would have a swelling effect on engine components such as O-rings, gaskets, and seals and this is what they said: "The seals will not know what oil you are putting in. Modern oils do not rely on seal swell agents. The synthetic base stock works differently. Modern cars engines using modern oils do not require seal agents. The seals are made better also." On Havoline's web site regarding the Havoline Pro-RS Lifelong Full Synthetic oils that will be sold exclusively at Walmart, there is an article that clearly states that this new oil is an addition to the High Mileage oils except that the new RS type can be also used on new cars. Something does not add up. When I asked the Havoline rep if the new RS oil was just a rebranding of one of their other oils, I received zero reply and was completely ignored. What are your thoughts on this new oil? Is it really just a different full synthetic oil or a high mileage oil or maybe a combination of the two? I did not fully understand the Havoline's rep answers and ended up just as confused as before I started my chat with him.
What do I think? Does it meet spec? Is it priced reasonably? If so, no hesitation on using it

I think you're overthinking their responses to your questions.

What is your interpretation of their responses. I ended the chat not knowing if the oil is more like a high mileage synthetic or regular synthetic or even a combination.
Based on the Product Data Sheet, your chat responses and not knowing the MSRP or having a VOA, Havoline Pro-RS appears to be a regular-to-premium full synthetic with "renewable" base stocks. I would say this is close to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (if PUP was renewable)

This does not appear to be like Havoline Pro-DS Lifelong, which appears to be a "light version" of a high mileage and a close competitor to Quaker State All Mileage (which is a synthetic blend)

Based on the Product Data Sheet, your chat responses and not knowing the MSRP or having a VOA, Havoline Pro-RS appears to be a regular-to-premium full synthetic with "renewable" base stocks. I would say this is close to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (if PUP was renewable)

This does not appear to be like Havoline Pro-DS Lifelong, which appears to be a "light version" of a high mileage and a close competitor to Quaker State All Mileage (which is a synthetic blend)
Thanks for clarifying. The information is very helpful.

Havoline Pro-DS (lifelong is the same thing just re-packaged for Wal-mart) is classified as a top-tier full synthetic (per chevron) that would be more comparable to Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge, etc.

Back